Can't install JustOff extension Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mbr12

Can't install JustOff extension

Unread post by mbr12 » 2023-03-19, 22:40

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro
Browser version: Palemoon 28.15
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text):
**PASTE troubleshooting information here**
I'm using v28.15, specifically so I can use older extensions (no lectures, please). I also had a few extensions from JustOff's site. They've all been working fine until a few weeks ago.
Palemoon developed a bug that wouldn't let me save preferences, so I re-installed it. That problem is fixed and I can install my previous extensions, however, now I can't install the JustOff extensions. I keep getting the "appears to be corrupt" message.
There wasn't an xpi file, so i tried changing the file from zip to xpi with no success. I set the security to allow all extensins, no go.
Strange that JustOff's extensions worked before Palemoon had that bug , and while it had the bug, but not after reinstalling Palemoon. Must be some setting I'm missing.
I have no intention of updating PM, because my beloved old extensions will no longer work.
Any ideas?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can't install JustOff extension

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-19, 22:54

mbr12 wrote:
2023-03-19, 22:40
v28.15, specifically so I can use older extensions (no lectures, please)
I won't give you a lecture but also understand that (1) we don't support versions that are that old and (2) there shouldn't be an issue using legacy Firefox extensions on our current latest version.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-20, 00:06

mbr12 wrote:
2023-03-19, 22:40
I have no intention of updating PM, because my beloved old extensions will no longer work.
Remember you're on your own for any future problems too in that case and don't bother asking for help here later if you're going to stick to an old version instead of looking for updating your extensions or looking for working alternatives from the 200+ ones that are already available for Pale Moon.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-20, 00:38

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-19, 22:54
I won't give you a lecture but also understand that (1) we don't support versions that are that old and (2) there shouldn't be an issue using legacy Firefox extensions on our current latest version.
This is not the first time somebody has come here in the last few days stuck on a <29·1·1 version to keep old Firefox extensions and requesting support for a problem that has been solved since v31. Perhaps a FAQ or sticky to tell them they can upgrade and keep their extensions is in order. :|
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-20, 01:53

mbr12 wrote:Palemoon developed a bug that wouldn't let me save preferences, so I re-installed it. That problem is fixed and I can install my previous extensions, however, now I can't install the JustOff extensions. I keep getting the "appears to be corrupt" message.
There wasn't an xpi file, so i tried changing the file from zip to xpi with no success.
I set the security to allow all extensins, no go.
Strange that JustOff's extensions worked before Palemoon had that bug , and while it had the bug, but not after reinstalling Palemoon. Must be some setting I'm missing.
No 'bug' seen here... suspect you are 'missing' something at your end... or possibly have a corrupted Pale Moon installation or profile?

Note: You will need to install a copy of martok's 'Palefill' extension first (link listed on Pale Moon Add-ons 'Other' page) to be able to see each of JustOff's extension '.xpi' download links in the 'Assets' section of his GitHub pages correctly at present. :)

1. No problems installing a test selection of JustOff's extensions into latest Pale Moon 32.0.1... e.g. JustOff's 'Smart Preview for Pale Moon forum 1.3.5' has just installed successfully:

JustOff's 'Smart Preview' installed successfully.png
'Assets' section of a JustOff extension's GitHub page showing .xpi file download link

2. Checked all 30 of JustOff's extensions as listed on his GitHub page... and all have .xpi files available for download. :)
3. Downloaded and installed a random 7 of JustOff's extensions including the largest 'Classic Add-ons Archive' (CAA) v2.0.3.

7 x JustOff + 1 x Palefill extensions installed on Pale Moon 32.0.1.jpg
Add-ons Manager - 7 x JustOff extensions + Palefill installed on Pale Moon 32.0.1

4. All 7 test downloads of JustOff's extensions installed correctly onto a clean new setup of latest Pale Moon 32.0.1.
5. Tested direct installation of extensions from the download link on the GitHub 'Assets' page... and also checked 'local installation' correct by downloading several .xpi files ('Save Link As...') to desktop... and then installing extension by 'drag & drop' .xpi file onto any open browser page.

mbr12

Unread post by mbr12 » 2023-03-20, 02:29

I'll give 32 a try. Thanks for the replies.

mbr12

Unread post by mbr12 » 2023-03-20, 02:48

I went ahead and updated. Now everything works! I was unaware newer versions allowed the old extensions. That doesn't usually happen.
Thanks!

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-21, 00:29

Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.