Un usable sites

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BluRayUHD
New to the forum
New to the forum

Un usable sites

Unread post by BluRayUHD » 2023-03-16, 14:02

Some sites that I would use regularly on Edge aren't usable

Mobile snap (https://web.snapchat.com) just tells me to use a different browser and https://discord.com is white when it's supposed to use the dark theme making a lot of elements invisible and a bunch of features don't respond. Are there fixes for this?

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Un usable sites

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-16, 17:58

Discord should work as of version 32. Some features, such as voice and video chat, fail in Pale Moon by design: this browser omits WebRTC, the underlying technology, for privacy. Consider trying Basilisk, our sister browser, if this is important to you.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

BluRayUHD
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by BluRayUHD » 2023-03-17, 01:33

Basilisk isn't too different from Pale Moon. Web.snapchat still tells me to use a different browser and Discord is still nigh unusable. If I could figure out how to post an image here I'd send you what I'm seeing. Frankly what I'm looking for is something uber light weight to run in the background while I game like Opera GX claims to be (it really isn't, it's just Chinese Chromium with some utilities). It would be huge if Pale Moon or Basilisk could get a good overlay or smth to make Discord usable considering how notoriously inefficient the app is. Pale Moon still does a good job at running my forum haunts in the background so I'll stick with it.

Thanks for the timely response. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-17, 10:35

BluRayUHD wrote:
2023-03-17, 01:33
Frankly what I'm looking for is something uber light weight to run in the background while I game
I don't think it exists, certainly not in the form of a general-purpose web browser where real-time chat is never its primary dedicated purpose.
I don't know about snapchat since I don't use it, but the discord desktop application isn't heavy on resources (using about 150-200MB of ram and little CPU) and doesn't get in the way of gaming (by design).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2023-03-17, 10:49

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-17, 10:35
I don't know about snapchat since I don't use it, but the discord desktop application isn't heavy on resources (using about 150-200MB of ram and little CPU) and doesn't get in the way of gaming (by design).
Discord desktop app runs through electron, so it is as close to general purpose browser(because electron pretty much is Chrome) as it gets.
---
BluRayUHD wrote:
2023-03-17, 01:33
Frankly what I'm looking for is something uber light weight to run in the background while I game
Lightweight would be native client application. While technically against ToS, 3rd party clients are only way in this line.
I use Ripcord - it is very fast and light on ram(iirc ~40mb), but it doesn't support some features yet(like search) and gets more and more stale - since last update some features emerged, like threads and forums, so they don't work as well. (i'm not fan of updates for the sake of updates, but it is rather long time passed since last update).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-17, 10:59

Nuck-TH wrote:
2023-03-17, 10:49
Discord desktop app runs through electron, so it is as close to general purpose browser(because electron pretty much is Chrome) as it gets.
I know it's an electron application, but it is still focused on a single service with a limited feature set, so will by design be a lot lighter than Chrome with several kitchen sinks attached.

Of course a purpose-built native code application would be even better but if that breaks the ToS of the service I can't recommend it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-17, 15:20

I doubt OP uses Linux, but Epiphany can create ‘net applications’ from any web page. These are to the WebKit engine what Electron is to Blink: they embed the page but run as a browser, not a separate client, so are within Discord’s terms. Epiphany omits WebRTC also. I can understand why one would prefer this; I was driven away from the Discord client, for the Windows version would force updates, and used a pinned tab in Pale Moon (as long as I was still on Windows) and then Epiphany as long as I still used Discord.

noellarkin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by noellarkin » 2023-03-18, 07:11

I'd recommend using RipCord, it's far lighter than the official application.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-03-18, 07:28

Already mentioned:
Nuck-TH wrote:
Lightweight would be native client application. While technically against ToS, 3rd party clients are only way in this line.
I use Ripcord - it is very fast and light on ram(iirc ~40mb), but it doesn't support some features yet(like search) and gets more and more stale - since last update some features emerged, like threads and forums, so they don't work as well. (i'm not fan of updates for the sake of updates, but it is rather long time passed since last update).

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2023-03-23, 11:59

jobbautista9 wrote:
2023-03-18, 07:28
Already mentioned:
Nuck-TH wrote:
is it Ripcord still working?
I see no updates from 2021, and adding the account though with the token i receive an error "the token is already in use by another account"

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-03-23, 12:23

Works perfectly fine for me. I use it everyday.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-23, 17:14

Off-topic:
I am pleased to hear Ripcord’s client has been static two years. Can it save conversations offline like the Discord Chat Exporter?