IPv preference?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

IPv preference?

Unread post by DoctorM » 2023-03-06, 12:33

Windows 7:
32.0.1:
64-bit browser?:

I've recently configured my home network with multiWAN/load balancing. I have an issue where one ISP has IPv6 support and the other does not. As a result, anything that favors IPv6 will not be balanced.

I know there is a setting to network.dns.disableipv6, but then the browser won't use it at all, even if it's needed.
I have some other software that let's you set a preference, but supports one over the other.

Is there something in Pale Moon I can set that would give it IPv4 preferred, but IPv6 still supported?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: IPv preference?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-06, 13:35

Setting the network layer preference is normally done in the operating system, not the browser. the browser has no mechanism that I am aware of to prefer one over the other through a preference.
See also, e.g. https://kb.firedaemon.com/support/solut ... -10-and-11
(I know the link is for win 10 and 11 -- I'm not sure what commands would be applicable for Win 7)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2023-03-06, 13:39

DoctorM wrote:
2023-03-06, 12:33
Windows 7:
32.0.1:
64-bit browser?:

I've recently configured my home network with multiWAN/load balancing. I have an issue where one ISP has IPv6 support and the other does not. As a result, anything that favors IPv6 will not be balanced.

I know there is a setting to network.dns.disableipv6, but then the browser won't use it at all, even if it's needed.
I have some other software that let's you set a preference, but supports one over the other.

Is there something in Pale Moon I can set that would give it IPv4 preferred, but IPv6 still supported?
You need your own IPv6 prefix that can be routed via both ISPs to have a balanced and reliable network.
This is the only way to achieve this.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2023-03-06, 19:23

Pentium4User wrote:
2023-03-06, 13:39
You need your own IPv6 prefix that can be routed via both ISPs to have a balanced and reliable network.
This is the only way to achieve this.
True, but I can set many programs to prefer IPv4, yet still support IPv6. That reduces the issue.

While I did find my Pale Moon had IPv6 disabled, even though that doesn't seem to be the default for the setting, I re-enabled it while configuring my network.

It would be nice though if Pale Moon could be set to use IPv4, and fall back to IPv6 when necessary, say like on IPV6-test.com and such.

Edit: @Moonchild - I did the policy change you linked. I had to drop a few policies that weren't present, but I'll see how it goes. Thanks.
I don't love that I'm doing it this way, but I'm not sure what the better answer is.

Edit 2: Rebooted and IPv6 tests failed. Restored the original policies, rebooted and they're back. I guess just disabling in Pale Moon and using a different browser when I need IPv6 is the answer.
Btw, what does this setting do?

Code: Select all

network.notify.ipv6