Blank spot on bookmarks toolbar Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jjprzy

Blank spot on bookmarks toolbar

Unread post by jjprzy » 2023-03-05, 00:53

Multiple Operating systems:
Browser version 32.0.1:
All OS's = 64-bit:
Browser theme: White Moon 3.7.1:
Installed add-ons (ABL, New Scrollbars, Thin Bookmarks:
Installed plugins: (none):

Hi, I'm new to these forums so not sure if this is the place to post this, but here goes... I'm running 6 OS's (Windows11, Linux Lite 6.2, Ubuntu Budgie 22.04, MX Linux (Debian 11), Linux Mint 20.3 Una, and Ubuntu MATE 22.04). All are multi-booted off of one computer with 3 hard drives. I use one OS each day. Palemoon is my default browser on all 6 OS's (although I also run Chromium and Firefox as a contingency for when problems crop up on Palemoon -- yeah, stuff happens).

I happen to have lots of links on my bookmarks toolbar (52 to be exact). Since space is limited, I don't use text labels, just icons. However, one site I go to doesn't have a Favicon. So on my bookmarks toolbar, it simply shows up as a blank space where an icon should be. See my screenshot attachment (and look for my cursor). This happens on ALL of my OS''s except for Ubuntu MATE. For some reason, on MATE I get a placeholder (empty page icon) instead of blank space. To me, that's better than a blank space

I checked all of the preferences and settings to see if I screwed up somewhere. I also checked most of the Add-Ons and Extensions to see if there was something I could use to create an icon, but w/o any luck. In the old days of Firefox, there was an extension called Favicon Picker (and later Favicon Picker 2) that allowed you to use an alternate icon on the bookmarks bar (I really miss those days... and that program).

FYI, I have similar problems with Firefox. For that particular website I get a blank space on my bookmarks toolbar as well. On Chromium I would get a "globe" placeholder, but then I was able to find an extension at the Chrome Web Store called "Bookmark Favicon Changer" that allowed me to upload an alternative icon from a simple screenshot I took of the website's logo.

Just stumblin' around lookin' for answers. You guys got any? Am I doin' somethin' wrong? Is there somethin' I missed?
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-03-04_16-07-14.png
:ugeek: The "Old Fart" geek

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Blank spot on bookmarks toolbar

Unread post by gepus » 2023-03-05, 07:50

jjprzy wrote:
2023-03-05, 00:53
Am I doin' somethin' wrong? Is there somethin' I missed?
No.

Edit: My suggested workaround won't work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-05, 11:56

That website's favicon is probably just blank. That's something for the website to solve.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-05, 13:31

Welcome to the forum. :)
jjprzy wrote:Just stumblin' around lookin' for answers. You guys got any? Am I doin' somethin' wrong? Is there somethin' I missed?
I don't use the Bookmarks Toolbar myself (more toolbars = more webpage area lost + too distracting)... just the dropdown Bookmarks Menu. However, I did a bit of "stumblin around" searching online... and this is probably the best or only method nowadays? :thumbup:

Yes, all the old extension-based methods like 'Favicon Picker 2/3' are dead (and trying some of them locks-up Pale Moon, so only use a test profile you're happy to delete afterwards!)... but you missed how to change Bookmarks Toolbar favicons using a simple CSS userstyle that can be added to the 'userChrome.css' file in the 'chrome' folder in your Pale Moon profile.

Admittedly, this is a more PITA solution requiring 5 lines of CSS for each website toolbar favicon you want to change... and its a fiddle to find and setup the matching new icon sizes correctly... but it definitely works... e.g. here is an out-of-the-box clean Pale Moon with the 'Pale Moon forum' toolbar favicon changed to a 'Linux' favicon:

Pale Moon forum icon changed to Linux icon + Highlight.jpg
Test website toolbar favicon change - Pale Moon forum icon changed to a Linux icon.

CSS userstyle to change the 'Pale Moon forum' icon to a 'Linux' icon in screenshot above adapted from 'morats change Bookmark Icon fix' discussed in this Mozillazine Q&A topic: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 4&start=15:

Code: Select all

/* morats change Bookmark Icon fix... */

.bookmark-item[label="ExactNameOfBookmark"] image {
width: 0 !important;
height: 0 !important;
padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important;
background: url("ExactNameOfBookmark.ico") !important; }

/* Blacklab's change Bookmark Icon CSS used for testing... */

.bookmark-item[label="Pale Moon forum"] image {
width: 0 !important;
height: 0 !important;
padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important;
background: url("Linux.ico") !important; }

/* The .ico image file must have exact same name as in last line 'background: url("name.ico")' */
/* The .ico image file must be placed in the 'chrome' folder in your Pale Moon profile */

Note 1: Beware! Some of the CSS userstyle versions posted in that Mozillazine topic omit the closing matching curly bracket ' } ' at end of the userstyle... take care.

Note 2: Not tried adding this CSS using Lootyhoof's excellent Stylem userstyle manager... in this particular case it complicates where to put the replacement favicon(s)... putting the replacement favicon in your profile's 'chrome' folder, right next to the 'userChrome.css' file, keeps things nice and simple IMO.

Not tested if this CSS fix will work for websites with 'empty/missing' favicons... but can't see why this method wouldn't work if you have the "ExactNameOfBookmark" available (hover to show tooltip below missing favicon or use right-click menu > 'Properties'?)... but I'll leave you to test the 'missing' favicon case? :)

Finding or making correctly sized 16x16 pixel .ico favicons takes some more "stumblin around" online... and I didn't put much effort in... just enough to prove the concept. The Mozillazine discussion suggests it is possible to use larger icon files too; 32x32, 48x48 or 256x256 images.

The 16x16 'Linux .ico' used came from the assortment available here: http://www.small-icons.com/packs/16x16- ... -icons.htm. Many other favicons and collections available... or use a 'favicon extractor' like 'www.getfavicon.org'... or use 'Everything' tool and search own machine for '.ico' files... or choose an online 'favicon generator' and make your own?

--------------------

PS. If you originally removed all the bookmark names from your Bookmarks Toolbar by deleting the names in each bookmark's right-click 'Properties' dialogue... then the above 'replace favicon' method will not work. However, it will work if you rename all your bookmarks in 'Properties'... and instead hide all the bookmark names by using this one line CSS userstyle posted in cor-el's answer here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/969665

#personal-bookmarks .bookmark-item > .toolbarbutton-text { display:none !important; } 
--------------------
Attachments
Linux.ico
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

jjprzy

Unread post by jjprzy » 2023-03-06, 16:23

Moonchild wrote:
2023-03-05, 11:56
That website's favicon is probably just blank. That's something for the website to solve.
You're absolutely correct. The website's favicon is just a blank. (I hate it when websites do that.) ;)

jjprzy

Unread post by jjprzy » 2023-03-06, 16:36

Blacklab wrote:
2023-03-05, 13:31

Yes, all the old extension-based methods like 'Favicon Picker 2/3' are dead (and trying some of them locks-up Pale Moon, so only use a test profile you're happy to delete afterwards!)... but you missed how to change Bookmarks Toolbar favicons using a simple CSS userstyle that can be added to the 'userChrome.css' file in the 'chrome' folder in your Pale Moon profile. Admittedly, this is a more PITA solution requiring 5 lines of CSS for each website toolbar favicon you want to change... and its a fiddle to find and setup the matching new icon sizes correctly... but it definitely works...
Yes it does work, thanks! I don't use CSS that often unless someone guides me through it (like you did). It took a couple of tries, but I finally got it. Thanks again! :thumbup:

jjprzy

Unread post by jjprzy » 2023-03-08, 18:07

Blacklab wrote:
2023-03-05, 13:31
Admittedly, this is a more PITA solution requiring 5 lines of CSS for each website toolbar favicon you want to change... and its a fiddle to find and setup the matching new icon sizes correctly... but it definitely works...
Well, maybe I spoke too soon. Sigh! :( Your css file fix seems to work just fine in 3 of my operating systems, but NOT in the other 3. It works in Linux MX21 (Debian11), Linux Mint 21.1 (based on Ubuntu 22.04), and Ubuntu MATE (22.04). It does not work in Ubuntu Budgie (22.04), Linux Lite 6.2 (22.04) or Windows11. On Windows 11, I found a profile folder with a chrome sub-folder in 2 different places (one under Program Files, and under the other under Users>... >AppData>Local. I put the css file and ICO file in both and neither one worked.

Windows is a PITA, but I can't understand why it works in some flavors of Ubuntu, but not in others?!?! Irritating to say the least. :x

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-08, 21:13

jjprzy wrote:It does not work in Ubuntu Budgie (22.04), Linux Lite 6.2 (22.04) or Windows11
Regret unable to give practical 'tested' advice Re: your 3 OS not playing with the 'Change Bookmark Favicon' CSS userstyle... only Win7 & Win10 available to test here... over to the forum's Windows 11 and Linux distro users for specific OS knowledge? :)

Profile folder location. On Windows OS' Pale Moon will take you to the correct 'in use' profile folder (usually 'xxxxxxxx.default') by clicking on the App Menu/Pale Moon button (or Menu Bar, if displayed, if not press 'Alt' )... then select: Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Folder > Open Folder... and the 'chrome' folder should be present in the opened Profile folder, or one needs to be added there. Your OS should be displaying the path to the 'in use' Profile folder.

BTW - Duh! - When testing CSS and placing the CSS userstyles directly into your profile (only option for current Firefox/LibreWolf) keep a shortcut to the 'chrome' folder and another to the 'userChrome.css' file on your desktop to speed up tweaks and testing!

Test if any CSS userstyles are working? Confirm that CSS userstyles are working on those 3 recalcitrant systems as a starter-for-10? Maybe test with something simple and obvious? This CSS userstyle changes the font and colour of the Active Tab whilst loading:

/* Active Tab - Change font to bold + green + italic whilst loading */

.tabbrowser-tabs > tab[busy] .tab-text {
  color: rgb(0,170,84) !important;
  font-style: italic !important;
  font-weight: bold !important; 
}
PS. Mozillazine's old, mostly ok, 'Profile folder' knowledge base article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

jjprzy

Unread post by jjprzy » 2023-03-09, 16:58

Blacklab wrote:
2023-03-08, 21:13
Regret unable to give practical 'tested' advice Re: your 3 OS...

PS. Mozillazine's old, mostly ok, 'Profile folder' knowledge base article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
Great News! I was able to figure out that an extension I was using ("Thin Bookmarks") was preventing the icon from showing up in Ubuntu Budgie and Linux Lite, presumably because it reduced the height of the bookmarks bar, which prevented the icon from being displayed. When I disabled the extension, the icon "magically appeared". LOL. :D

Then, thanks to you pointing me in the right direction with the Mozallazine link, I was able to determine the correct location of the active profile folder! Now ALL my OS's are showing the icon correctly! WooHoo!! Thanks again! It's much appreciated. :D :clap: :thumbup:

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-09, 17:30

Finding the right CSS script and tweaking it to make it work can be a frustrating task... but very satisfying when you succeed! :D

If you 'open up' that 'Thin Bookmarks' extension's .xpi file you may be able to work out what caused the conflict? Probably much easier would be to find and test a simple CSS userstyle that allows you to adjust the top & bottom padding on different toolbars. :think:

At least with Pale Moon and Basilisk you have stable browser platforms that are not making UI and other changes to the browser's codebase every 5 minutes... so your CSS userstyles once written, tweaked, and setup should be good for a long time. :thumbup:

Meanwhile, elsewhere... the 'rapid update cycle' of current Firefox, LibreWolf, Vivaldi, etc... all trying to, having to, or locked-into keeping up with Google Chrome's incessant fiddling with all manner of browser code and functionality (almost entirely to suit Google's Ad business needs and plans for world online domination?)... means having to continuously adjust even relatively modest CSS userstyles after almost every update... a sort of running UI sore... which is exceedingly tedious. Grrrrr. :thumbdown:

(Thank heavens for the CSS 'Brains Trust' Q&A fix help on Reddit's r/Firefox CSS: https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/hot/)