Wikipedia search box

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Wikipedia search box

Unread post by cannonmc » 2023-03-03, 01:13

Win7:
PM29:

Was just wondering if anyone else had problems with the PM Wikipedia Search box at the beginning of week.

It hadn't been affected by the dire Wikipedia 'improvement' but for a couple of days at the beginning of this week it wasn't working for me. All the other search boxes worked fine.

If I entered a term in Wikipedia box I just got the message 'Connecting' followed by a timeout. If I entered the term in the DuckDuckGo box and got a Wikipedia link, clicking on that worked fine.

If I went to the Wikipedia site and then closed that tab, the PM box worked fine. If I closed PM and reopened, then the box failed again.

I did delete Wikipedia search then reinstalled it but nothing happened.

All seems to be working now. I was just curious if anyone else had had a problem. I would have asked at Wikipedia but they don't seem to like simple questions there! At least they haven't got an easy forum that I've ever found.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Wikipedia search box

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-03-03, 05:08

Wikipedia’s search results appear in the new style for me, notwithstanding that I intend to have all pages appear with an old one. The search bar has worked for me, but for this.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

cannonmc
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by cannonmc » 2023-03-03, 08:52

Yes, the results appear in the new style, I just had these couple of days when they didn't appear at all using the search box.

As I understand it you can only get the old style if you change your settings and then the old style is used but only if you sign in to Wikipedia. Which is a pain when you are used to highlighting a term on another page to search or you just want to use Wikipedia in passing while doing other things.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2023-03-03, 16:43

cannonmc wrote:
2023-03-03, 01:13
PM29:
:?: