choosing a drive for the bookmark filebookmark file

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bedrock445
New to the forum
New to the forum

choosing a drive for the bookmark filebookmark file

Unread post by bedrock445 » 2023-01-29, 03:10

Hi!

I am relatively new to using Palemoon. Really want to store my Palemoon bookmarks on a drive other than the default c: drive.

I am running:
Palemoon (not portable) version 31.4.2 (64 Bit)
Windows 10 Home Version 21H2

I really prefer to keep things like browser bookmarks on a different drive from my operating system.
Is there a way to put my active bookmark folder on a different drive, such as d:\ instead of c:\?

I found an article called "Moving your profile folder " in the Mozilla Knowledge Base, but:
1) it is undated
2) it is for Firefox T-bird, seamonkey etal.. Not Palemoon.

I have figured out:
1) where my current Palemoon. profile is:
c:/users/jim/appdata/roaming/Moonchild Productions/Palemoon/profiles.ini
2) how to find Palemoon's profile manager:
Goto box that says "type here to search"
Type in "profilemanage -p" without the quote marks. However, this gives a firefox version,
not a Palemoon. version, if that makes a difference.

Beyond that, I do not know much else. Assume I have a properly installed Palemoon app and have bookmarks that I have saved in the default location. What I am trying to do is make the default location to be on my D:\ drive. Is there a way to do that? All the ways I tried have been unsuccessful. Any help deeply appreciated!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: choosing a drive for the bookmark filebookmark file

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-29, 10:40

You can't easily move the entire folder across without a lot of annoying manual editing, so the easiest way is creating a new profile in the new location.
  1. In the address bar, type about:profiles and press enter.
  2. Click "Create a new profile"
  3. In the wizard, give the profile a name and click the "Choose folder..." button
  4. Select the location you want the folder to be in, complete the wizard with "Finish".
  5. Now, click the "Set as default profile" button under the new profile you just created
Optionally, you can then copy the contents of the roaming profile folder on C: to the new profile folder you just created to get everything you have in your browser profile now into the new profile. Do this with the browser closed.

After starting the browser anew, you will be using the new location.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sidology
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by sidology » 2023-01-29, 12:57

bedrock445 wrote:
2023-01-29, 03:10
I have figured out:
1) where my current Palemoon. profile is:
c:/users/jim/appdata/roaming/Moonchild Productions/Palemoon/profiles.ini
Close Pale Moon and edit that profiles.ini file and move your whatever.default folder and others if you have.

Profiles.ini example (with 2 profiles):

sshot-1.png

Don't forget to change "IsRelative=1" to "IsRelative=0"
Also, in Windows non-relative paths use back slashes while relative paths use forward slashes.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-01-29, 22:47

Wouldn't Symbolic Links work in this case? You'd essentially "pretend" that files or folders are in the default location (where you'll put the Symlink) while you can decide for the actual files to be wherever you like.

Of course, Moonchild's suggestion is cleaner if you're happy having your entire profile on another drive, instead of the bookmarks-related files/folders alone.