Setting the emoji font Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Setting the emoji font

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-19, 22:30

My browser is working properly; this is a request to improve, not to mend. On this picture, the Japanese title for the picture includes an emoji that uses only black lines, not full colour as most emoji fonts use. (I have attached a sample.) I have found that I can also get these line art emoji if I paste Japanese text containing emoji into DeepL for translation. However, the emoji will appear with full colour in its tab and the history sidebar. How can I identify this monochrome emoji font and use it by default throughout Pale Moon? (I would really like to use this throughout my OS, but I can confine my scope to the browser for asking here.)
Attachments
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (3.81 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Setting the emoji font

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-20, 00:00

For consistency's sake we always try to use the embedded emoji font first, otherwise you'd get a wild and inconsistent mix of B&W and colour emoji inside the browser. This is the case where a system font would have emoji support. System fonts are unlikely to be updated regularly to include later unicode emojis so we prioritize using the twemojimozilla font we embed.
You can try to tweak this with the font.name-list.emoji preference by prefixing the Twemoji Mozilla font name with the system font name that supports emoji in B&W (I do not know which font that would be for your system but I'm sure you can figure that out :) ) in a comma-separated list (see other font entry prefs)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Setting the emoji font

Unread post by Mæstro » 2023-01-20, 01:30

It turns out that the emoticons, at least, are embedded in TakaoGothic, the font which my system uses by default to render Japanese. I have this and a few other fonts with monochrome emoji for fuller support listed now. Thank you!
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.