Site/font rendering issues

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Viper_63
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Site/font rendering issues

Unread post by Viper_63 » 2022-12-07, 22:26

I am not sure whre to post this, since this might even be an actual issue, but I have been running into issues with readability on multiple sites because Palemoon seems to render site content - in this case text and fonts - differently when compared to Basilisk:

left: Basilisk / right: Palemoon

Image Image

Note how the text is harder to read on Palemoon. Basilisk seems to display fonts with more "weight" if that makes any sense. I am not sure how to describe this, but the screenshots are pretty self-explanatory.

This also happen in safe mode / with a fresh install, and I have not changed any font rendering settings in Basilisk afaik. The prefernces regarding content/text are identical for Basilisk and Pale Moon.

Is this intended behaviour? Is there any way to get Pale Moon to render websites the same way as Basilisk?

Any help would be appreciated, because this makes some website really hard/straining to read.

EDIT:
I have managed to track this down to the hardware acceleration setting. Enabling hardware acceleration seems to fix this in Pale Moon, but sites display fine in Basilisk without hardware acceleration, where I have it disabled becasue it causes issues with other (resource/script heavy) sites. Can somebody enlighten me as to how hardware acceleration actually factors into this and why it is needed in Pale Moon but not in Basilisk?

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Site/font rendering issues

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-12-15, 02:09

Viper_63 wrote:
2022-12-07, 22:26
I have managed to track this down to the hardware acceleration setting. Enabling hardware acceleration seems to fix this in Pale Moon, but sites display fine in Basilisk without hardware acceleration, where I have it disabled becasue it causes issues with other (resource/script heavy) sites. Can somebody enlighten me as to how hardware acceleration actually factors into this and why it is needed in Pale Moon but not in Basilisk?
I wasn't sure if you found your answer since you posted this, but I was also looking into it and saw that Basilisk font rendering is supposed to be differentiated because it adds "Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features." (https://www.basilisk-browser.org/features.shtml). In looking into Graphite, I'm going to assume that that technology is what is making the fonts look naturally clearer on Basilisk.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-15, 08:57

Graphite font shaping is (and has been) available and enabled in Pale Moon.
The only difference that I can think of off the bat is that I added an override for fonts.googleapis.com for Pale moon to prevent illegible fonts on some sites that Basilisk potentially does not have. That was entered due to fonts there defaulting to the lightest weight in their font tables then using css font-shaping to get back to a "normal" weight.

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.fonts.googleapis.com;Mozilla/5.0 (%OS_SLICE% rv:61.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.9
I'm not sure if that causes this difference; I'm assuming Basilisk sends a UA that is 52.6.something or 52.9.something? You can try to change the default site-specific override we have and see what the result is.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

leothetechguy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by leothetechguy » 2022-12-19, 13:59

On my system, it looks like the right picture in Chromium, Pale Moon and Firefox, is this just some inconsistency between operating systems or is there something wrong with my font rendering? I'm using Gentoo Linux with the KDE Desktop Enviroment (5.26.4). Did the site maybe change?

EDIT: I've tried both the overrides and the hardware acceleration from the original comment, but it still looks the same.