Pale Moon wants to update to 31.4.1.1 on Win10

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Pale Moon wants to update to 31.4.1.1 on Win10

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-12-05, 15:34

Operating system: Win10
Browser version: 31.4.1
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 32-bit
Problem URL: n/a
Browser theme (if not default): n/a
Installed add-ons: n/a
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): n/a

Pale Moon started updating (w/out my requesting the update) to v31.4.1.1. (probably started due to key-ahead of some sort that triggered it)

Question: based on this post: Windows 32-bit only update to 31.4.1.1 where it says
".... Other architectures and operating systems are unaffected and don't require an update; please continue your use of 31.4.1 there."

The impression given is that we should not update to 31.4.1.1 if on Win10.... I have "paused" the update - however there is no option to abort the update.

Browser "Help" retains a prompt to "Resume downloading Pale Moon 31.4.1.1" --- I figure it's probably OK to go ahead and let the update resume (using Win10) - please confirm.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon wants to update to 31.4.1.1 on Win10

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-05, 15:41

You're on 32-bit Windows...
Not sure why you're unsure about the offered update? it is the architecture and OS that matches.
We've had confirmed reports from Windows 7 users, but it's likely that Windows 10 would also be affected if ran on sufficiently old hardware.
I suggest you just update, since I have no guarantee that the update to the newer runtimes/compilers plays nice with any 32-bit Windows at the moment. Still waiting for microsoft to provide more information; it's marked as "under consideration" now.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-12-05, 15:49

OK - thanks! :D (for the quick feedback) :thumbup:

To answer your question: "You're on 32-bit Windows...
Not sure why you're unsure about the offered update? it is the architecture and OS that matches."

hmm, not "OS".... (see below, doesn't "match" what was specifically stated)

The Windows 32-bit only update to 31.4.1.1 post states specifically: "Due to an issue with Microsoft-supplied compiler and run-time library updates, 31.4.1 would crash on some older systems running Windows 7 32-bit." (giving the impression that Win10 does not apply in as much as only Win7 [not Win10] is referenced.... hence probably a reason that Win7 is all that is mentioned) - also the comment ".... Other architectures and operating systems are unaffected and don't require an update; please continue your use of 31.4.1 there." reinforces that assumption.... (but then I'm reiterating what I stated in my original post.... ;))
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2022-12-05, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-05, 16:51

Pallid Planetoid wrote:
2022-12-05, 15:49
hmm, not "OS"....
Windows 10 isn't Windows for you?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-12-06, 14:47

Yes, and thanks again for the update, feedback and clarification that the reason for the release of v31.4.1.1 was quote: "Due to an issue with Microsoft-supplied compiler and run-time library updates, 31.4.1 would crash on some older systems running Windows 7 32-bit." (strike "7" because the "crash" issue is not specifically limited to just Win7 --- but also includes other Windows OS i.e. win10 etc. using 32-bit). :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-06, 15:53

Win 7 was confirmed crashing. Win 10 unknown, as I already explained :)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-12-06, 16:17

Thanks for the additional clarification -- on the subject of win10 crashing, I can confirm that Win10 had been crashing multiple times in my case (I was blaming the crashes on too many tabs which is not typical for me, as I had recently been doing extensive research that required a lot of tabs [as many as 45-60 tabs]). That said, I can also confirm that Pale Moon has not crashed since the v31.4.1.1 update (however, I have not been running the new update that long and I have not been using nearly as many tabs as before [19 tabs at this time]).

Assuming the crashes were not tab related - it would appear that perhaps Win10 is also impacted as well (hence arguably not an "unknown") based on my results, FWIW. :think:

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-12-06, 17:19

Vista and onwards have basically all been the same underlying Operating System with different clothes on. The only truly notable breaking change they've made is to vga.sys.