Pale Moon 31.4.1 does not work in Windows 7 SP1 - 32 bit

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tellu-white
Moon lover
Moon lover

Pale Moon 31.4.1 does not work in Windows 7 SP1 - 32 bit

Unread post by tellu-white » 2022-12-01, 01:06

Operating system: Windows 7 SP1 - 32 bit
Browser version: Pale Moon 31.4.1
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 32-bit
Problem URL: I couldn't go any further than https://palemoon.start.me/start
Browser theme (if not default): Both "Camimoon" and "Default"
Installed add-ons: Both with add-ons installed and WITHOUT any add-ons (CLEAN INSTALL)
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): All Plugins are "disabled" (there is no option to uninstall them)
00 All Plugins are ''disabled'' (there is no option to uninstall them).png
If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text):

Pale Moon crashes with a MODAL popup with the message "Pale Moon web browser has stopped working", so I can't access the "Error Console".

Today I tried to "upgrade" from "Pale Moon 31.4.0" to "Pale Moon 31.4.1". After installation, "Pale Moon 31.4.1" closes with the message "Pale Moon web browser has stopped working" EVERY TIME the Internet connection is activated.

To check if the problem is not caused by old settings, by add-ons, ETC., I uninstalled Pale Moon, I deleted the following folders:

• C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Moonchild Productions
• C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions

then I restarted the PC. Unfortunately, even after the clean installation of Pale Moon, the problem did not go away. Tests with Pale Moon 31.4.1 Portable had the same result, so I decided to reinstall Pale Moon 31.4.0 hoping that the next version will work in Windows 7 SP1 - 32 bit.

Screenshots with clean installation of Pale Moon 31.4.1:

1. "Pale Moon has been installed - Lunch Pale Moon now"
01 ''Pale Moon has been installed - Lunch Pale Moon now''.png
2. "Pale Moon browser has stopped working"
02 ''Pale Moon web browser has stopped working''.png
02 ''Pale Moon web browser has stopped working''.png (16.41 KiB) Viewed 337 times
3. Start "Pale Moon" again with Internet connection disabled
03 Start ''Pale Moon'' again with Internet connection disabled.png
4. "Reload current page" with Internet connection enabled
04 ''Reload current page'' with Internet connection enabled.png
5. After "Reload current page" - "Pale Moon web browser has stopped working"
05 ''Pale Moon web browser has stopped working''.png
6. Restart "Pale Moon" - "Pale Moon web browser has stopped working"
06 Restart ''Pale Moon'' - ''Pale Moon web browser has stopped working''.png
7. Step 6 is repeated a few times, after which a popup appears with the message "Pale Moon Safe Mode".
07 ''Pale Moon Safe Mode''.png
Pale Moon doesn't work even in "Safe Mode" with all boxes checked. However, after a clean install (without any customization), checking these boxes have nothing to change.

If I disable the Internet, I return to step 3 - i.e. no error message appears. However, if I enter in the "URL bar" the url "chrome://browser/content/places/places.xul", the MODAL popup with the message "Pale Moon web browser has stopped working" reappears.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pale Moon 31.4.1 does not work in Windows 7 SP1 - 32 bit

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-12-01, 01:11

FYI, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=29128
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon 31.4.1 does not work in Windows 7 SP1 - 32 bit

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-01, 09:10

For the time being, grab 31.4.0 from the archive server and run that. I'll be building new win32 binaries to address this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite