31.1.0 (WS) ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dolphin
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

31.1.0 (WS) ?

Unread post by dolphin » 2022-10-17, 03:26

Upgrading a 29 version, on check for updates, it said 31.1.0 (WS) is available. What is the (WS)?

(After 31.1.0 (WS) was installed, on the next check for update, it upgraded to 31.3.0.1 but I'm just curious what the WS version was as I don't remember seeing that before.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: 31.1.0 (WS) ?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-10-17, 08:07

"WS" stands for "Watershed".
It's a necessary intermediate upgrade step, because the update archive format has changed.

in release engineering, watershed versions are interim versions of a program to upgrade from older iterations to newer ones which aren't directly compatible with each other or which do not have a direct migration path for data. In this case the older version would not understand the new upgrade format and would not be able to upgrade directly. The watershed version though is provided in a format that the old version understands, and it in itself has the capacity to understand current upgrade formats presented by the update server.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: 31.1.0 (WS) ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-12-10, 21:22

With reference to viewtopic.php?f=30&t=29181 thanks for explanation, I remembered something like this, but not the exact version numbers or the WS acronym/terminology (and I could not remember if WS appeared today, I am now at home and the thing occurred at my friend's place), nor the side effect on language pack.
All is well what ends well :thumbup:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)