Having trouble running Pale Moon. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
byskuit
Moongazer
Moongazer

Having trouble running Pale Moon.

Unread post by byskuit » 2022-09-27, 19:53

Operating system: Alpine Linux Edge
Browser version: 31.3.0, GTK3 tarball.
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64-bit
Problem URL: N/A
Browser theme (if not default): N/A
Installed add-ons: N/A
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): N/A

If possible, please include the output of help->troubleshooting information (as text): N/A

Having trouble running the tarball. Says some library doesn't exist, but (what should be the library, in theory...) of the exact same name is present in the directory.

I have all of the permissions needed to execute programs in my /home.

I have all of the dependencies installed. On Alpine, the packages are called:
"gtk+3.0"
"glib"
"pango"
"libstdc++"
...which are all new enough to satisfy the requirements here: https://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
See the packages for yourself if you want at: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/
System requirements are adequate. I have run Pale Moon before on this machine, but not on this specific Linux install.

Terminal output is below:

:/home/cysk/Tarball/palemoon$ ./palemoon
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/cysk/Tarball/palemoon/libxul.so:
Error loading shared library liblgpllibs.so: No such file or directory (needed by /home/cysk/Tarball/palemoon/libxul.so)
Couldn't load XPCOM.
:/home/cysk/Tarball/palemoon$ ls
application.ini libfreeblpriv3.chk libnssutil3.so palemoon-bin
browser libfreeblpriv3.so libplc4.so palemoon.res
chrome.manifest liblgpllibs.so libplds4.so platform.ini
defaults libmozavcodec.so libsmime3.so plugin-container
dependentlibs.list libmozavutil.so libsoftokn3.chk precomplete
dictionaries libmozgtk.so libsoftokn3.so removed-files
fonts libmozsqlite3.so libssl3.so run-mozilla.sh
gtk2 libnspr4.so libxul.so update-settings.ini
icons libnss3.so license.txt updater
icudt63l.dat libnssckbi.so palemoon updater.ini
:/home/cysk/Tarball/palemoon$

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Having trouble running Pale Moon.

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-09-28, 01:19

What libc are you using? Pale Moon doesn't support musl, only glibc.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

byskuit
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by byskuit » 2022-09-28, 03:11

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-09-28, 01:19
What libc are you using? Pale Moon doesn't support musl, only glibc.
Worked before with musl, using gcompat. This is a new thing that popped up.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-09-28, 03:23

Weird. What was the last version of Pale Moon that worked for you, and can you check that it still works and is just not caused by something like a system upgrade you've just done recently? I don't think we changed the LGPL libraries in our tree between 31.2.0 and 31.3.0, and according to xref, liblgpllibs only contains libav and soundtouch...

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-09-28, 07:11

We did make some compatibility changes re: gcc compilation this cycle, among other things to improve compatibility with gcc 12. It's quite possible this somehow broke musl compatibility, but

Code: Select all

Error loading shared library liblgpllibs.so: No such file or directory (needed by /home/cysk/Tarball/palemoon/libxul.so)
Seems to simply indicate it can't find one of its package files. I verified that file is indeed in the tarball of the official binaries so.... where did it go? Did you properly unpack it?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

byskuit
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by byskuit » 2022-09-28, 21:45

Last working version was 31.2.0.1, though, again, it's possible that my current installation's configuration is different. (last install (of both Linux and Pale Moon) was on a partition that I recently formatted for reasons out of scope)

For extraction, I used both Ark and tar -xf, to seemingly no avail. Hash is also okay.

The output is so barren that there really isn't anything specific we can look for, is there?

As for where the library went... it's right there. You can see it in my ls output, which is the most confusing part.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-28, 22:06

byskuit wrote:
2022-09-28, 21:45
Last working version was 31.2.0.1, though, again, it's possible that my current installation's configuration is different. (last install (of both Linux and Pale Moon) was on a partition that I recently formatted for reasons out of scope)
Have you tried verifying that 31.2.0.1 version works on your new partition to rule out the possibility of your configuration being the issue? You can download older releases if you need to. Since your old setup isn't available for comparison, all that matters is how things work or don't work on the new one.

If we know for sure that 31.2.0.1 works on your current install and that something broke with the latest version, that narrows down the possibilities. If you haven't tested the older version on your new config, we can't be sure that is what happened, which limits our ability to help.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

byskuit
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by byskuit » 2022-09-29, 00:38

Alright, tried 31.2.0.1. Does not work. Not sure if that's going to be a good or a bad thing from troubleshooting.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-29, 00:51

byskuit wrote:
2022-09-29, 00:38
Alright, tried 31.2.0.1. Does not work. Not sure if that's going to be a good or a bad thing from troubleshooting.
Well, I do appreciate you testing. It does tell us that something has likely changed on Alpine's end that made gcompat not work with our Pale Moon binaries, which is what I suspected. Compatibility layers like that are very prone to breakage, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if there's an easy fix for that, but the only way around it I can think of is to compile Pale Moon against musl. None of us actually run Alpine or any other musl-based distro, though, so we couldn't help with that.

I would suggest looking over their implementation of the compatibility libraries and seeing what they changed recently, if they started targeting a newer glibc or something, etc. We build against an older glibc to maximize compatibility across Linux distros, and if Alpine/gcompat's compatibility layer recently started requiring a newer minimum glibc or targeting the most modern one, it could be the issue.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

byskuit
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by byskuit » 2022-09-29, 21:18

I have circumvented the issue by cheating in compatibility with containerization. Thanks for the attempt though.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-09-29, 21:24

byskuit wrote:
2022-09-29, 21:18
I have circumvented the issue by cheating in compatibility with containerization. Thanks for the attempt though.
No problem, did you find that it worked using an older version of your distro in a container? Glad you found a workaround. :)

byskuit
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by byskuit » 2022-09-29, 21:56

Eh... nah, it's actually just an Arch container. I already had it on hand for gaming, so it just made sense to use it. Here's what I used if you're curious:

https://github.com/Kron4ek/Conty