Anyway to set startup with tabs maximized? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Vortex
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Anyway to set startup with tabs maximized?

Unread post by Vortex » 2022-09-19, 22:36

Please Is there anyway to get palemoon to start with all the windows maximized? Every day I have to go through and maximize them all.
Thanks.

Win7:
palemoon 31.2.011:
64bit:

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Anyway to set startup with tabs maximized?

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-09-20, 11:08

Vortex wrote:Please Is there anyway to get palemoon to start with all the windows maximized?
Yes, depending on exactly what you want Re: "all the windows maximised" there may be several ways to do this.

The most recent question on this subject was answered 4 days ago, last Friday, and is 2 items below your question in this same 'Browser Support' topics list: 'Start-up in fulscreen mode' - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28832

Please use the forum's 'Search Box' facility before posting.
A forum search will quickly locate previous answers to the same or similar queries.
The Search box is top right on every forum page.
Advanced Search is accessed by clicking the 'gearwheel/cog' icon at RH end of the Search box.
e.g. Results for a forum search using the term 'fullscreen' are: search.php?keywords=fullscreen

Vortex
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Vortex » 2022-09-20, 17:46

Thanks I saw that, but I didn't ask about fullscreen mode, I know I can do that by just pressing F11. I want all the palemoon windows to start maximized, so they fill the screen but still have all the toolbars at the top. I've searched extensively but cannot find an answer to what seems like a simple thing.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-09-20, 20:00

Ah... ok... try this...
Right click on your Pale Moon taskbar icon...
A Windows 7 OS taskbar dialogue box opens with one of the 3 lower options being 'Pale Moon'...
(Right clicks on a desktop shortcut or on a Start menu entry offer the 'Properties' option directly)

Pale Moon's taskbar dialogue box.png
Pale Moon's taskbar dialogue box.png (39.52 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

Mouse-over/highlight the 'Pale Moon' option and right click... another box opens... select 'Properties'...
The 'Pale Moon Properties' box opens...
'Shortcut' tab will open (if not select)... find 'Run' (towards bottom of Shortcut list)... there is a 'Run options' box to the right...
Usually you will find 'Normal window' selected in the 'Run options' box... left click on the down arrow in box... select 'Maximized'
Click the 'Apply' and 'OK' buttons at bottom to exit...
Your Pale Moon (or any other application) should now open maximized... with the toolbars! :)

Pale Moon Properties - Run box open.png

Vortex
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Vortex » 2022-09-21, 08:43

That seems to be it, thank you for your help Blacklab :D

Vortex
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Vortex » 2022-09-22, 08:07

Yesterday after doing what you suggested I restarted palemoon and all the tabs started up maximized, this morning when I started the computer they all opened minimized again...

I re-checked the properties and they all still say maximized. Any other suggestions?

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-09-22, 11:21

@Vortex: The 'Run' choice is a Windows OS system function... and AFAIAA completely independent of any coding of the applications running on whatever version of Windows you are using... in this case Pale Moon on Windows 7.

I happen to use a favourite Win 7 machine most of the time too (Win 7 on glass was UI/UX peak for me :D ) and I have noticed that the 'Run' choice can be a bit 'sticky' or 'flaky' on occasion. I would try fully unselecting and then reselecting the 'Maximized' option a few times... and use the 'Apply' button and then 'OK' to exit the 'Pale Moon Properties' dialogue box.

Alternatively, you shouldn't even need to have 'Maximized' selected... with the OS 'Run' property set to open in the usual 'Normal Window' you should be able to simply drag your Pale Moon browser window edges to fill your entire screen... in effect identical to a 'Maximized' window... and that new full-screen window size should be remembered next time you start Pale Moon.

PS. Windows 7 isn't a spring chicken OS any longer. So, especially if you are running it on an ageing HDD, it maybe time to run a disc check for bad sectors... and similarly run SFC /SCANNOW to check you have no corrupted OS files?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-09-22, 15:40

Is there anyway to get palemoon to start with all the windows maximized?
I don't think you're going to get that to work.
Not in Pale Moon, not in any browser.

At best, your windows will open maximized - for a period of time.
But eventually, you will start to get not-maximized windows.

Some have said that using a fresh xulstore.json works.
And it might, for a period of time...

If what is stored in xulstore.json is immaterial to you... you might try (from a batch file) deleting that file prior to firing up PM & see how that goes?

Over time, different browsers, different browser versions, have worked better or worse, in their restoration of maximized windows.

Possibly there is an external program that can maximize after the fact.
Something that says, go out & find all Pale Moon windows & maximize them.
Perhaps GUIPropView or NirCmd?
(Most all Nirsoft programs have GUI's, & most all can be run from a command line, batch file, without having the GUI open.)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-09-22, 23:23

A little digging out of curiosity...

In an old Mozillazine Q&A thread 'how do I make FireFox remember the size I want' I a came across a recommendation for an old Firefox Addon called 'Custom Geometry'... but it was last updated in late 2010. Custom Geometry's old Mozilla Addons pages and a copy of its .xpi file can still be found via WayBackMachine (WBM) and rather more easily on the current Thunderbird Addons page: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/fi ... -geometry/

The latest version of Custom Geometry's .xpi file (Version 2.5.0.1-signed.1-signed - released 30 Nov 2010) loads normally onto a completely clean test profile of Pale Moon... but whilst Custom Geometry ran there were problems with operating it's toolbar icon to access the Addon's drop-down menu for settings and options. So, as it stands, it seems the old Custom Geometry Addon is not completely compatible with, or easily useable, in Pale Moon 31.2.0.1 :thumbdown: ... not a huge surprise! :(

However, as a bonus :thumbup: ... the penultimate review from 'kammo' on the Custom Geometry reviews page says "I've been a Custom Geometry user for years, but I've just come across a nice Windows freeware app that meets my needs better, so I thought I'd share. It's called Sizer and can be found here: http://www.brianapps.net/sizer/

Sizer still exists and now also has a completely rewritten version 4.0 for 64-bit OS, including Windows 10 Apps, last updated in April 2020: http://www.brianapps.net/sizer4/ ... so the tiny Sizer 4.0 utility might be worth investigating? :)

Vortex
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Vortex » 2022-09-23, 09:46

Thanks guys
Blacklab wrote:
2022-09-22, 11:21
Alternatively, you shouldn't even need to have 'Maximized' selected... with the OS 'Run' property set to open in the usual 'Normal Window' you should be able to simply drag your Pale Moon browser window edges to fill your entire screen... in effect identical to a 'Maximized' window... and that new full-screen window size should be remembered next time you start Pale Moon.
That seems to be a compromise that works.
therube wrote:
2022-09-22, 15:40
Some have said that using a fresh xulstore.json works.
And it might, for a period of time...

If what is stored in xulstore.json is immaterial to you... you might try (from a batch file) deleting that file prior to firing up PM & see how that goes?
That didn't help, actually made the windows smaller. I tried editing the file to the full size of the screen, but something was resetting it at every restart.