The URL bar doesn't work

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
M8988+

The URL bar doesn't work

Unread post by M8988+ » 2022-09-11, 17:15

Everytime I type a url in the url bar, it does absolutely nothing whether I press ENTER, click the blue arrow, choose a link from the drop-down menu, or even the PASTE and Go option via copy/paste. I've restarted the browser and computer, disabled add-ons, and uninstalled and reinstalled but there's no solving this problem. If any details are needed, here they are:

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home
Browser version:
Whichever the current version of Pale Moon is.
32-bit or 64-bit browser?:
64-bit
Problem URL:
All of them
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:
Adblock Latitude
uBlock Origin
Linkificaton
nMatrix
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):
Silver Light (version as of October 2018)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: The URL bar doesn't work

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-09-11, 20:57

Try creating a 2nd 'clean' profile and use that to confirm the url bar works normally with the browser in its 'out of the box' state i.e with no extensions added and no other changes. Suspect you have some odd conflict or setup problem with extensions?

If no joy then, you may have an internet connection problem... anti-virus or firewall blocking Pale Moon?

Here are a couple of Howtos on starting a 'new profile' and most other things Re: Profile Manager:
Last edited by Blacklab on 2022-09-11, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

M8988+

Unread post by M8988+ » 2022-09-11, 21:10

Funny enough, I just did exactly that right before you replied. I even backed up the bookmarks (too many to lose). And yeah, the url bar works. Although I pretty much figured out on my own, thanks anyway. :thumbup:

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-09-11, 21:32

If you found out exactly what caused the conflict always useful to let others know the details. :)

Bookmark backups are vital if you have as many as I have... and also worth using Moonchild's Pale Moon Profile Backup Tool as well: https://www.palemoon.org/backuptool.shtml

BTW - If you ever use CCleaner take care. Since CCleaner v5.92 issued on 11Apr22 a 'bookmarks backup' cleaner was added.
Look in CCleaner under 'Applications - Firefox' and make sure the 'Bookmarks Backup' item is not selected/ticked. If selected CCleaner will wipe the usual 10 bookmark backups automatically saved by Pale Moon and stored in the 'bookmarkbackups' folder in your Profile.

CCleaner.jpg
CCleaner.jpg (29.93 KiB) Viewed 395 times

M8988+

Unread post by M8988+ » 2022-09-11, 23:17

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind next time I use it.