Heavy ads crypto currency mining

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Heavy ads crypto currency mining

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-04, 20:50

Firefox has a native anti cryptocurrncy mining protection, and chromium has invented a solution to detect and unload heavy ads ans crypto currency mining :
"In order to save our users’ batteries and data plans, and provide them with a good experience on the web, Chrome will limit the resources a display ad can use before the user interacts with the ad. When an ad reaches its limit, the ad's frame will navigate to an error page, informing the user that the ad has used too many resources. Here is an example of an ad that has been unloaded:

To determine the threshold limits for the unloading, we extensively measured the ads Chrome sees. We targeted the most egregious ads, those that use more CPU or network bandwidth than 99.9% of all detected ads for that resource. Chrome is setting the thresholds to 4MB of network data or 15 seconds of CPU usage in any 30 second period, or 60 seconds of total CPU usage. While only 0.3% of ads exceed this threshold today, they account for 27% of network data used by ads and 28% of all ad CPU usage."

https://blog.chromium.org/2020/05/resou ... hrome.html

hete test to test this if browser block heavy harmful nasty ads :

https://heavy-ads.glitch.me/

so , does Pale Moon browser has a feature to block crypto currency mining cryptojacking i ? it will be great to implement this important option, thank you !

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Heavy ads crypto currency mining

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-08-04, 21:12

Pick an adblocker and add a list with known cryptocurrency advertisers.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-08-04, 22:26

feraritn wrote:
2022-08-04, 20:50
so , does Pale Moon browser has a feature to block crypto currency mining cryptojacking i ? it will be great to implement this important option, thank you !
I haven't seen ads in a web browser in probably 10 years or more. As @vannilla said, adblockers are your friend. I'm pretty sure that ηMatrix isn't going to allow any crypto-mining ads to run in its default state.

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-04, 22:57

I read an article, the Crypto Currency Mining invented insidious methods to deceive the vigilance of the user and just use a small amount of CPU power, I no longer use adblocker extension because the DNS adsblocker unload ads at the source unlike the extension that can freeze the browser because there are a lot of lists, and sometimes when I enter sites, the sites detect that I use an adblocker extension and ask that I deactivate the adblocker so sometimes we sometimes is forced to deactivate the adblocker ....

the pirates use sophisticated techniques like using a very small power of your processor without realising it and without clicking on any link despite your web browser is up to date,
and Webassembly Tehnology (WASM) is enabled by default in web browsers but

WebAssembly may be used, just like JavaScript, to “steal” processing power instead of data. In 2019, an analysis of 150 different Wasm modules found out that about 32% of them were used for cryptocurrency-mining.

Hence the usefulness of imitating chromium which blocks the heavy ads suspects .....

It will be fantastic if Pale Moon could add option to block by default the crypto malware domains block (rogue) js crypto miners based on the coiner blocking lists of awesome zerodot:
https://zerodot1.gitlab.io/coinblocerli ... x.htmlosis
Last edited by feraritn on 2022-08-04, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-04, 23:01

andyprough wrote:
2022-08-04, 22:26
feraritn wrote:
2022-08-04, 20:50
I haven't seen ads in a web browser in probably 10 years or more. As @vannilla said, adblockers are your friend. I'm pretty sure that ηMatrix isn't going to allow any crypto-mining ads to run in its default state.

Sadly, Manifest V3 may kill adblockers extensions, would Pale Moon migrate to Manifest V3 ?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-08-04, 23:08

feraritn wrote:
2022-08-04, 23:01
would Pale Moon migrate to Manifest V3 ?
Let me turn this question around to you: Is Manifest v3 XUL based or is it a form of WebExtensions? Does Pale Moon support WebExtensions? Will Pale Moon ever support WebExtensions?

(The answer to that last question is in Pale Moon's roadmap.)
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-05, 01:15

feraritn wrote:
would Pale Moon migrate to Manifest V3 ?
Please, please, please for heaven's sake search the damn forums and read the main website before asking questions that have been explained plainly or discussed to death millions of times already and don't behave like a typical clueless noob. Every once in a while we get someone new who will make super genius suggestions about switching to web extensions, or snarky commentary that Pale Moon is dead (why even bother to use it or comment in that case) and so on and so forth.

This browser has been around since 2009 and I guarantee that you will find all your questions answered in previous threads. The same goes for when you want to ask about broken websites or other problems - search the forums first and provide the required troubleshooting information in the post template, especially the error console output.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-05, 02:31

So Mr. Genius, calm down, I never said that Pale Moon is dead, you speak as if I have married your sister by force, your anger is shocking, so I ask you Respect especially that I offer interesting suggestions and solutions, explain to me how to deactivate session restore and if its seesion restore consumes 35GB per day as a researcher said in 2016?

I spent several hours looking for, it is not documented, there are several sessionstore values ​​and I changed values ​​in Firefox and it caused bug, I tried to increase Memory Cache value and disable Memory Hide in Pale Moon and it causes bugs, so mr Genius explains how to do? I await, enlighten us or show me where in the forum where there are the answers to my questions? !!!! I challenge you, I made you mangifical suggestion of research bcp which can improve pale moon And instead of thanking me you lack respect? Go there, explain to me what
These values ​​

Browser.ssesestore.exacts, Browser.ssessionstore.restore_on_demand .....

and if we can deactivate them, explain to me how to increase the size of the memory hides and how to put the cache in the RAM, I listen to you mr genius

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-05, 02:39

i never tallk to you, so don't talk to me, i am not interested to talk to disrespectuf person, my question i s about CRYPTO CURRENCY MINNG HIJACKING , so develop extension to fight and block crypto currency Instead of screaming on it in a frightening and scandalous way, I don't care about the demonstration 3, my question is to Prorpos of Crypto Currency, some One Says to Me There is extension and I Said Extension It is not my cup of Tea, therefore develop extension against crypto, I offered you a solution, so thank me instead of shouting screaming , and don't talk to me anymore if I don't talk to you, I don't care about your extension

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-05, 02:45

feraritn wrote:
2022-08-05, 02:31
I never said that Pale Moon is dead, you speak as if I have married your sister by force, your anger is shocking, so I ask you Respect especially that I offer interesting suggestions and solutions
I wasn't talking about you specifically - there are several new users who behave this way. And yes, I'm angry after seeing the same pattern of asking questions without searching or reading the forum first. When you join a new forum, it's basic etiquette to read the rules and search before posting.
feraritn wrote:
2022-08-05, 02:31
explain to me how to deactivate session restore and if its seesion restore consumes 35GB per day as a researcher said in 2016
Don't go by comparisons with or studies based on Firefox, even by 2016 Pale Moon had diverged considerably. In the preferences window, General tab - 'When Pale Moon starts' - 'Show my windows and tabs from last time' is what determines whether to save your session and restore it. Change that setting to show just the homepage or blank page and you won't see a saved session on the next restart.

Just saw the extra post. Okay, go sit on a cactus now and keep ranting. :roll:
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-08-05, 03:07

feraritn wrote:
2022-08-04, 22:57
WebAssembly may be used, just like JavaScript, to “steal” processing power instead of data. In 2019, an analysis of 150 different Wasm modules found out that about 32% of them were used for cryptocurrency-mining.
If you're really concerned about that, you can disable it via Preferences => JavaScript => uncheck "Enable WebAssembly (WASM)". Note that this may impact web compatibility, so don't be surprised if you see some websites not working (or working too slowly because it now has to use a pure JavaScript solution like asm.js).
feraritn wrote:
2022-08-04, 22:57
Hence the usefulness of imitating chromium which blocks the heavy ads suspects .....

It will be fantastic if Pale Moon could add option to block by default the crypto malware domains block (rogue) js crypto miners based on the coiner blocking lists of awesome zerodot:
https://zerodot1.gitlab.io/coinblocerli ... x.htmlosis
No, I don't think the project shares your view on this one regarding the browser core. We think this is out of the scope of browsers, and should be handled by extensions like content blockers. So please stick with using an adblocker like uBlock Origin, which is already enough to block out those threats you're worried about.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2022-08-05, 03:46

Off-topic:
I'm starting to have nguyen9173 flashbacks here .....
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-08-05, 07:46

In the general interest of netiquette and preventing escalation, a cooldown has been issued.
feraritn wrote:
2022-08-05, 02:39
i never tallk to you, so don't talk to me,
That is not how open fora work. Do not attack people who answer your questions or give advice just because you don't like the answer. Your presence here will be short-lived if you do.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-08-07, 23:06

Admin wrote:
2022-08-05, 07:46
In the general interest of netiquette and preventing escalation, a cooldown has been issued.
Please make sure this isn't the same jackass nguyen1973 back under a different ID. Agree with Nigaikaze, he has the same vibe.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2022-08-07, 23:25

Off-topic:
We are aware of the problem; we are assessing the situation.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2022-08-14, 05:38

feraritn wrote:

Sadly, Manifest V3 may kill adblockers extensions, would Pale Moon migrate to Manifest V3 ?
Manifest V3 is a piece of crap, it is just there to make adblocking less effective:

https://www.ghacks.net/2020/12/11/googl ... e-88-beta/

The question is why would Palemoon implement Manifest V3 because it's a waste of time.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-08-15, 15:33

The question is why would
And just what gave you that impression?

Did you read what Nigaikaze wrote?