Buffer full video, increase cache and disable disk cache

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Buffer full video, increase cache and disable disk cache

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-03, 11:42

Hello, thnak you very much for this amazing and awesome browser !!

Please i have a request, sometimes the internet connection becomes very low and the playback of the video streaming becomes painful and jerk and manu interruptions because there is no full buffering of streaming video, it will be great if our beleoved pale moon browser adds an option that can be activated quickly through The toolbar to activate or disavow the Full Buffering of the Whole Video Until The End, I did some research to try to make the full buffering on Firefox, here is the result of my research but the problems sometimes I can buffer video even on YouTube, sometimes when I

set media.mediasource.eabled to false,

some videos on my favorite streaming site do not play, that is why I asked for an option to be able to activate /deactivate the full buffer of the video if we meet a playback problem: here is my favorite streaming site where I have tested these parameters, sometimes when I

set browser.cache.disk.enable, browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled, browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl and browser.cache.offline.enable to false,

I can buffer full video when i disable cache ssl ..... thank you very much !

It will also be moving to add an option to quickly increase the size of the network cache and media cache because maybe it can be effective for live streaming when we watch live football or basketball games and we have a low connection, and also add quick option in the toolbar to enable/disable the Disk cache and just use the RAM Memory because sometimes we have an old worn HDD hard drive which can be slow so put the cache in the RAM Memory becomes an inexpensive option! Thanks a lot :)

Moderator note: Warez link removed.

Buffer full video or make buffer bigger

There is an easy fix for it just increase media.cache_readhead_limit to 9999 and media.cache_resume_treshold also to 9999. This was also puzzling me since firefox 54 would buffer till the end of the video but firefox 55 wouldn't, so I went trough the about:config and found those two lines once I chagned their values from (60, 30) to those above every single video I opened in firefox so far buffered till the end, you don't even need to restart the firefox just refresh the page for changes to take the effect. Hope this helped.

cache_readahead_limit: 999999
cache_resume_threshold: 999999

to

cache_readahead_limit: 60
cache_resume_threshold: 30

media.cache_readahead_limit
media.cache_readahead_limit.cellular

media.cache_resume_threshold
media.cache_resume_threshold.cellular

Increase the size of media.cache_size (default 512000 cellular 32768)

Maximize your "browser.cache.disk.capacity" (type "about:config" in Firefox) if you are loading long videos

You can set media.mediasource.enabled to false. If a site's video playback breaks, try to revert this option back to the default, before anything else.
Set media.mediasource.enabled to false so it works on Youtube

Firefox only on RAM
Switched browser cache from disk (SSD) to RAM, about:cache still displaying in disk too

set browser.cache.disk.enable, browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled, browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl and browser.cache.offline.enable to false

activate the entry browser.cache.memory.enable -> true

set the entry browser.cache.memory.capacity to -1 for automatic adjustment

Reason: Writing down every data to the HDD/SSD is slow & costs lifetime (SSD).
Using DRAM is much faster than fastest M.2 SSDs and saves TBW of SSDs!

It speeds up the internet traffic, but you need enough RAM to use this option with many tabs and other tasks! And when crashs happend, some more data could get lost.

4. (optional) set browser.cache.cache_isolation to true for safety of your personal data.

Type in about:cache to see the result. You could compare before and after with that.

There are some cache max prefs on the about:config page that would suggest 50 MB.

I've always disabled browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled and set browser.cache.disk.capacity to 1048576

browser.cache.disk.max
browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size = 51200 // 50 MB

turn off [browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled] and [browser.cache.disk.enable],

If you increase [browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size] to 1048576

- browser.cache.disk.enable = false
(désactive le cache disk)
- browser.cache.disk.capacity = 0
(interdit le cache disk)
- browser.cache.memory.enable = true
(active le cache de la ram, accélère Mozilla)
- browser.cache.memory.capacity ou browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size = 20000 (Ram for cache)
- browser.cache.offline.enable = false
(Désactive le cache offline)
- browser.cache.offline.capacity = 0
(interdit le cache offline)
- network.http.sendRefererHeader = 0
(n'informe pas le site de vos ancien site visité)
- network.prefetch-next = false
(Ne stock rien dans le cache)

I set browser.cache.disk.capacity = 0 and my Win10 Firefox is much faster
Discussion

https://www.developpez.net/forums/d2053 ... n-firefox/

I set browser.cache.disk.capacity = 0 and my Win10 Firefox is much faster

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Buffer full video, increase cache and disable disk cache

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-03, 13:09

The defaults in Pale Moon suit normal streaming of video. Im not sure why you are suggesting to completely mangle the caching setup but that will be completely detrimental to normal use. Also, media caching has nothing to do with web caching as the latter bit of your (copy-pasted?) post suggests.

The setting for readahead is already set to "unlimited" with 99999 so setting it to a smaller value won't help. It's currently only limited by what the server allows or the 512 MB default size limit. I do not want to increase that limit to waste people's bandwidth or disk space by downloading more into the media cache; it's already very sizeable!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-03, 13:41

I do not know why you say (copy-pasteed?) Post suggests? !!!!!!!!

Everything I wrote is the fruit of my own research, I asked Thorium Browser, script developers .... to activate the full buffering in Chrome and I am offered solutions, all that I wrote is the fruit of my research propers which lasted very logen and I sent you that to help you activate this option in addition it can be utle to other users, in any case my exclusive tips Personal work on Firefox, what I sent is exclusive and it is my discovery propers as the fact of deactivating the SSL cache for the full buffer, nobody in the web has written what I wrote ... ..c’esy my propore discovery ..... I am disappointed that you accuse me of copy paste whereas I posted positive thing of your browser :( Are you the developer ?

I try to deactivate the Disk cache and increase the size of the Memory Cache, I try to find: "Browser.cache.memory.capacity to change the automatic value that limits the memory cache but I can't find this settings, DOES" Browser.cache.memory.max_entry_size "The Same Setting of" Browser.cache.memory.capacity "?

I am a new user of pale moon, I now see that by default pale moon full buffer the video streaming, it's excellent but I would like to increase the size of the memory cache because I disabled the disk cache and the smart cache, how to do ?

you said " I do not want to increase that limit ", the limit of what ? the limit of readahead ?

yes i'm aware about waste people's bandwidth, that why i said it should be optional, for exemple at night many brothers and siter use wif that beacomes very weak instable, that why increse buffering may be useful if we wath full hd video with weak conexion and the user enable that with awareness

the streaming link is for test purpose not for promotiong warez

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-03, 14:11

Maybe have some tea and calm down.

Pale Moon is not Firefox and is not Chrome. What works for one might not work for the other.
Also, what we have as default has to serve people who are using the browser in a broad way, and we have to keep the browser understandable for average users (so not adding controls for everything).
feraritn wrote:
2022-08-03, 13:41
I try to deactivate the Disk cache and increase the size of the Memory Cache
Just use the defaults provided. it works well and has been fine-tuned over the course of several years of development. Any changes you make to it will likely be detrimental to your browsing experience.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-03, 15:36

Ok there is no problemos, thank you for your advises :)

the reason of Memory Cache Capacity is Firefox seems to have chosen an outdated automatic value because
-1 For Automatic Cache Size Selection (Skipping this Step Has the Sans Effect AS Setting The Value To -1)

The "Automatic" Size Selection is based on Decade-Ob Table that only contains setings for system at or below 8gb of system memory .....

I have enough Memory RAM and I changed the automatic value of Memory Cache at 2000,000 kb and I checked in About: Cache that the default limit of Memory Cache Storage Size which is from 29696 KB was exceeded and Firefox used more than
The automatic limit 29696 kb When I changed the size of the Memory Cache at 2000,000 kb ..... some users use Pale Moon because light and slow notebook because slow HDD hard drive so it may be useful to add an option to activate The Memory hides and increase the limit of its default value which is 29696 kb which is too little .....

If I Add the Entry (right click> New> Integer) Browser.cache.memory.capacity and set it to the Amount of Kb I Want to Spare, can this lead a bug or instability in Pale Moon please?

feraritn
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by feraritn » 2022-08-03, 16:25

I made Entry (right click> New> Integer) Browser.cache.memory.capacity and set 2000000 but in about:cache , there is no memory ram used ! please how can i enbale memory ram ?

memory
Number of entries: 0
Maximum storage size: 29696 KiB
Storage in use: 0 KiB
Storage disk location: none, only stored in memory

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-08-05, 03:10

If you have plenty of RAM, you might find more success using a ramdisk if you really just want the cache to be put on RAM. It really isn't recommended to fiddle with about:config entries pertaining to cache because it's easy to screw up and negatively impact your browser's performance if you don't know what you're doing. So just stick with the defaults which have been tried and tested by many users, and put the browser and profile directory in a ramdisk (don't forget to backup!).

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817