Can't bookmark certain web pages Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MJBradley1967

Can't bookmark certain web pages

Unread post by MJBradley1967 » 2022-08-03, 02:00

Windows10x64:
31.2.0:
64-bit browser:
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
UblockOrigin, NoScript, Keyconfig:
Adobe Flash, Microsoft Office 16:

I just moved over to Windows 10 for the first time, on a new laptop. Like every other time I picked up a used replacement laptop, with Windows 7, I would reinstall Palemoon, then copy the Moonchild Productions folders back into App Data Local & Roaming. This would bring in all my bookmarks and other settings.

Only problem I have now is, I cannot bookmark any site linked from a yahoo email. Double clicking the star, Ctrl+D, Bookmark This Page...nothing happens. I've used this process for years, whenever I visit a site on my phone browser I like, I share the link via yahoo to yahoo. Then I go to the site on the computer and bookmark it. It's bizarre behavior I've never seen before.

Is it a Win10 thing, or a glitch in the latest version of PM?

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Can't bookmark certain web pages

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-08-03, 04:09

I'm on Win10, but older version, and I have no problem bookmarking sites using portable install of PM. But I don't understand your process. I click the star once to bookmark it, then click again to "Edit This Bookmark" where I can choose the folder. According to the menu, Ctrl-D (which I never use) does the same thing as clicking the star, which is "Bookmark This Page", except when I tried it brought up the same box as "Edit ..." except it is labelled "Page Bookmarked". But it works either way. As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with Windows 10; it's all internal to the browser. Only thing I can think of is maybe the application doesn't have write access to your appdata folder because of the way you installed it. Windows 10 is funky about access to subfolders in the C:\Users folder. I avoid all that.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

MJBradley1967

Unread post by MJBradley1967 » 2022-08-03, 11:56

Michaell wrote:
2022-08-03, 04:09
I'm on Win10, but older version, and I have no problem bookmarking sites using portable install of PM. But I don't understand your process. I click the star once to bookmark it, then click again to "Edit This Bookmark" where I can choose the folder. According to the menu, Ctrl-D (which I never use) does the same thing as clicking the star, which is "Bookmark This Page", except when I tried it brought up the same box as "Edit ..." except it is labelled "Page Bookmarked". But it works either way. As far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with Windows 10; it's all internal to the browser. Only thing I can think of is maybe the application doesn't have write access to your appdata folder because of the way you installed it. Windows 10 is funky about access to subfolders in the C:\Users folder. I avoid all that.
Yep, I normally double-click the star, which brings up the little popup so I can choose the sub-folder I want the bookmark to go to and occasionally use Ctrl+D. It only depends how I'm sitting in my chair at the time.

And either of those work just fine, if I got to a webpage by way of google, or hand typing it in the address bar. But when I click a link in a yahoo email and get taken to that webpage that way, suddenly none of the options to bookmark work.

I'm also not seeing the gold star for websites that are most definitely bookmarked, which is also new behavior. I've done this more times than I can count, what with reinstalling Windows many times.

I may try a full reinstall and recopying the folders and see if that helps.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-03, 13:16

Did you perhaps copy the files across while the old browser was still running? In that case you may have caused file corruption in your copy.

Also, please be aware that NoScript causes severe issues in Pale Moon and we don't necessarily support setups with it installed. Try using eMatrix instead
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JohnKlein94
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by JohnKlein94 » 2022-08-03, 13:33

MJBradley1967 wrote:
2022-08-03, 11:56
Michaell wrote:
2022-08-03, 04:09
Yep, I normally double-click the star, which brings up the little popup so I can choose the sub-folder I want the bookmark to go to and occasionally use Ctrl+D. It only depends how I'm sitting in my chair at the time.

And either of those work just fine, if I got to a webpage by way of google, or hand typing it in the address bar. But when I click a link in a yahoo email and get taken to that webpage that way, suddenly none of the options to bookmark work.

I'm also not seeing the gold star for websites that are most definitely bookmarked, which is also new behavior. I've done this more times than I can count, what with reinstalling Windows many times.

I may try a full reinstall and recopying the folders and see if that helps.
This is the first time I've encountered something like this, did reinstalling it help you?

MJBradley1967

Unread post by MJBradley1967 » 2022-08-03, 14:23

Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-03, 13:16
Did you perhaps copy the files across while the old browser was still running? In that case you may have caused file corruption in your copy.

Also, please be aware that NoScript causes severe issues in Pale Moon and we don't necessarily support setups with it installed. Try using eMatrix instead
My process has always been to install and start the new version once, then shut it down and overwrite the folders it created with the folders I saved somewhere else (usually an external drive). Then I start PM again and all settings, add-ons and bookmarks are there. Again, never had any issue doing this.

As for NoScript, I've always used that add-on, but I removed it just now and the issue didn't go away. I've uninstalled PM and cleared the registry of all references to PM and moved the App Data folders to a different directory. I'm waiting for FireFox to finish a big download before reinstalling PM.

ETA: Reinstalling (a slightly older version) didn't help. Also, I just noticed that when pasting an URL into the address bar and hitting <Enter>, nothing happens. I can't help but think this is 100% connected to Windows10 (20H2).

MJBradley1967

Unread post by MJBradley1967 » 2022-08-05, 15:21

OK, reinstalled v29 again, didn't copy the App Data folders over and only imported the bookmarks backup.

Problem solved. Seems very likely there was a file or setting in one of those many folders created under Windows7 that Windows10 just didn't like.

Upgraded to v31 without issue.