Classic urlbar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ChrisB
Moongazer
Moongazer

Classic urlbar

Unread post by ChrisB » 2022-07-31, 13:02

Operating system: W7 64-bit
Browser version: 31-1-1
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64-bit
Problem URL:
Browser theme (if not default):
Installed add-ons:Address Bar & Search Bar More Readable 1.0.0, Pale Moon Commander 3.0.1, Swarth 1.0.7, uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30
Installed plugins: (about:plugins):

New user here.
Just wondering if there is a way to have an oldskool urlbar, which just shows typed url and nothing else.
As you can see above, I tried out an add-on, but it doesn't do what I wanted.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Classic urlbar

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-31, 14:56

What is an "oldskool urlbar" exactly?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lucas_jooj
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lucas_jooj » 2022-07-31, 16:17

ChrisB wrote:
2022-07-31, 13:02
Just wondering if there is a way to have an oldskool urlbar, which just shows typed url and nothing else.
As you can see above, I tried out an add-on, but it doesn't do what I wanted.
Are you looking for an add-on that removes useless parametres like the utm_ ones? Try https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/pureurl4pm/ , works great and it installs normally on v31 despite the compatibility section saying otherwise.

If you want just the URL without search suggestions you get on chrome and mozilla, then I suppose Pale Moon works as you want? You can go on Tools>Preference>Privacy and disable "suggest history, bookmark and open tabs". And on the separate search bar (Ctrl+E shortcut in English) just go to Manage search engine and hide search suggestions.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-07-31, 16:22

I've discussed this in a few threads long ago. A simple, well-bahving location bar can be obtained with some about:config changes.
I've removed any searching, auto-filling, or things like that. But I guess it visually still shows the favorites star icon, RSS feed icon, and HTTP/S encrypted padlock icon and coloring. Maybe that's the visual bits you'd like to change? If so, I'm not going to be of any help.

If you'd like to turn off the extra features though, these are the pertinent about:config options:

Code: Select all

browser.urlbar.autoFill;false
browser.urlbar.autoFill.typed;false
browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled;false
browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled;false
browser.urlbar.suggest.bookmark;false
browser.urlbar.suggest.history;false
browser.urlbar.suggest.openpage;false

keyword.enabled;false

browser.fixup.alternate.prefix;
browser.fixup.alternate.suffix;

Older discussion on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26703&p=214730&hil ... ig#p214730
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17952&p=131840&hili ... ig#p131840

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2022-07-31, 16:55

Check out Ancient Location Bar. It's a fork of Old Location Bar that applies some tweaks to achieve something similar to Firefox 2. You can turn off autocomplete/autofill and set max results to 0 in the extension settings, as well as disable the RSS feed and Bookmark icons. To stop the browser from attempting to "fix" domain names, you can turn that off in the Network tab in the settings of another extension called Pale Moon Commander.

The only one you'd have to touch about:config for keyword.enabled . Setting that to false will stop the browser from performing a web search when you press Enter in the location bar. After that, it should simply act like a textbox to type in a URL and nothing more. When you type something invalid after applying these changes, you will just get a plain error message telling you to fix your URL.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-07-31, 17:59

Fo you mean anything like this ?
tempbar.png
You can get it in View->Toolbars->Customize dragging unwanted items as instructed
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-08-01, 00:28

Or like this perhaps?

URL Bar.jpg

Don't select any Location Bar 'suggestions' in the check boxes at bottom of 'Privacy' tab in Preferences settings box:

Location Bar suggestions.jpg

Add 2 simple CSS scripts to remove both the Bookmark Star and History Dropdown Arrow from Address/Location/URL Bar:

Code: Select all

/* Remove Bookmark Star from Address bar */
#star-button {
  display: none !important;
}

/* Remove History Dropdown Arrow from Address Bar */
.autocomplete-history-dropmarker {
  display: none !important;
}
Remove RSS Feed button from URL Bar using the option in the Pale Moon Commander Addon available in 'Pale Moon Tools' here: https://www.palemoon.org/commander.shtml (This could also be done with another CSS script.)

The RSS Feed option is in User Interface > General > Address Bar > Display the feed indicator in the address bar:

Pale Moon Commander.jpg

Notes:

1. Using CSS scripts to alter your Pale Moon's UI isn't difficult. The most direct way of adding a CSS script is into the 'userChrome.css' file in the 'Chrome' folder in your Pale Moon Profile... better still use Lootyhoof's excellent 'Stylem' Addon. Basic Instructions on 'howto' add CSS scripts appear in many forum posts and elsewhere online... and as it happens there is a set of CSS script instructions in the 'Toolbar Icon colours in Pale Moon 20.2' thread mentioned and linked in Note 2. below. :)

2. The coloured Pale Moon toolbar icons and navigation buttons (in toolbar screensnip above) come from a Pale Moon version issued way-back-when in summer 2013. At the time no one liked Moonchild's lovely new coloured toolbar icons very much... so he promptly removed them. I did like them... and have used Moonchild's script for installing them ever since... see: 'Toolbar Icon colours in Pale Moon 20.2'. :D

3. The 'private browsing Purple' App Menu or Pale Moon button (in toolbar screensnip above) is generated by CSS scripts from another ancient 2013 thread. I have always run Pale Moon in permanent Private Browsing mode and like to have a 'purple' indicator to confirm that somewhere on the UI. The same 'Purple "permanent" Private Browsing Indicator' script still works unchanged after nearly 10 years... but I expect the code could do with a wash and brush-up... but Hey!... it still works for me. :D

ChrisB
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ChrisB » 2022-08-01, 05:17

Moonchild wrote:
2022-07-31, 14:56
What is an "oldskool urlbar" exactly?
Like this.
Classic urlbar.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-01, 07:40

Ouch. so stripping the security indicators, protocol and everything. Not a very smart thing to do if you want to stay safe on the web, but I guess if you insist on going that route, it's certainly possible, and mostly with Pale Moon's built-in configuration.

in about:config
Set browser.urlbar.rss to false
Set browser.identity.ssl_domain_display to 0
Set browser.urlbar.trimURLs to true
Set browser.padlock.shown to false
Set browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled to false

You should also be able to hide the bookmarks star with an extension or userChrome.css
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-08-01, 11:41

Thanks for the tip about browser.urlbar.rss Moonchild, that's nice to know. :)

ChrisB
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ChrisB » 2022-08-01, 16:25

Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-01, 07:40
Ouch. so stripping the security indicators, protocol and everything. Not a very smart thing to do if you want to stay safe on the web, but I guess if you insist on going that route, it's certainly possible, and mostly with Pale Moon's built-in configuration.

in about:config
Set browser.urlbar.rss to false
Set browser.identity.ssl_domain_display to 0
Set browser.urlbar.trimURLs to true
Set browser.padlock.shown to false
Set browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled to false

You should also be able to hide the bookmarks star with an extension or userChrome.css
Thanks! :)
This is how it looks for me after these changes:
urlbar.png
browser.urlbar.formatting.enabled was the one I tried before my initial post. Seems it's still formatting away tho.