No Google Services after inadvertent toddler access

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mazeckenrode
Moongazer
Moongazer

No Google Services after inadvertent toddler access

Unread post by mazeckenrode » 2022-06-27, 13:37

Operating system: Windows 7 x64 Pro
Browser version: 31.1.0
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: x64
Problem URL: ALL Google services requiring sign-in
Browser theme (if not default): default
Installed add-ons: Adblock Latitude v5.0.9, Context Search X v0.4.6.26, Dismiss the Overlay v1.0.7, Exif Viewer v3.7.5, GetEmAll! v1.1, MozArchiver v2.0.1, Navigation Bar Enhancer v1.3.2, PDF Viewer v2.3.240, Session Manager v0.8.1.14, Tab Mix Plus v0.5.8.4
Installed plugins: (about:plugins): Microsoft Office 2013 v15.0.4514.1000, Silverlight Plug-In v5.1.50918.0, Java(TM) Platform SE 8 U171 v11.171.2.11, Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.1710.11 v11.171.2.11, VLC Web Plugin v3.0.3.0

Greetings. With my Win 7 laptop up and running, unlocked with Pale Moon on top, I got up to do something and my 2-year-old great-grandson managed to climb up on my computer table and started playing with the mouse and keyboard (normally I lock Windows via Win+L before stepping away while the little ones are close by, but neglected to on this occasion). After I stopped him, I saw that he had entered numerous unknown characters in Pale Moon’s address bar, and God knows what else with the keyboard and mouse. Now Pale Moon can’t access any of my usual Google Services (Gmail, Keep, Calendar, Chat, Messages for Web, Drive, Photos, etc.), nor any other site that I use my Google account to log into (Feedly and others). If I try to log to any of these, I get the error message: “Something went wrong / Sorry, something went wrong there. Try again.” There is a “Next” button, and clicking on that get me “400. That’s an error. / The server cannot process the request because it is malformed. It should not be retried. That’s all we know.”

All other sites I’ve tried to access so far seem to work fine, and all sites including Google Services and related continue to work fine on my Win 10 laptop. And all sites continue to work in my alternate browser Vivaldi.

I have cleared recent browsing history, to no avail, and also tried reinstalling Pale Moon. I have also read the forum topic Pale Moon can't load sites, but other browsers can. The only thing I could see there that I thought could be potentially relevant was to verify my network.dns.disableIPv6 setting in about:config, which is set to the default value of ‘false’, but I’m no expert.

Any ideas or suggestions, short of reinstalling Windows?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: No Google Services after inadvertent toddler access

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-27, 14:05

Just in case the toddler changed some settings or what not, e.g. by using some of the more obscure key combinations we historically support, it would help if you go to help -> troubleshooting information in Pale Moon's menu, and click the "copy as text" button, then pasting it in your reply.

We can go from there.
Reinstalling Windows shouldn't be necessary. reinstalling anything is likely not needed.
There are several recovery options as well in Pale Moon, but let's just start with getting a few more details about what state it's currently in.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mazeckenrode
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mazeckenrode » 2022-06-27, 14:18

Ok, thanks. Here you go:

Application Basics
------------------

Name: Pale Moon
Version: 31.1.0 (64-bit)
Build ID: 20220607120905
Update Channel: release
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/5.1 Firefox/68.0 PaleMoon/31.1.0
Safe Mode: false

Extensions
----------

Name: Adblock Latitude
Version: 5.0.9
Enabled: true
ID: adblocklatitude@addons.palemoon.org

Name: Context Search X
Version: 0.4.6.26
ID: contextsearch2@lwz.addons.mozilla.org

Name: Dismiss The Overlay
Version: 1.0.7
ID: behind-the-overlay-me@Off.JustOff

Name: Exif Viewer
Version: 3.7.5
ID: exif-viewer@asraskin.org

Name: GetEmAll!
Version: 1.1
ID: {4f45ab64-73d7-4bde-b9e6-0922abe8e11a}

Name: MozArchiver
Version: 2.0.1
ID: mozarchiver@lootyhoof-pm

Name: Navigation Bar Enhancer
Version: 1.3.2
ID: {f47e6f37-7c28-42ed-bd4f-764ec562f224}

Name: PDF Viewer
Version: 2.3.240
ID: pdf.js-seamonkey@lakora.us

Name: Session Manager
Version: 0.8.1.14
ID: {1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30}

Name: Tab Mix Plus
Version: 0.5.8.4
ID: {dc572301-7619-498c-a57d-39143191b318}

Graphics
--------

Features
Compositing: Direct3D 11
GPU Accelerated Windows: 3/3 Direct3D 11 (OMTC)
Asynchronous Pan/Zoom: none
WebGL 1 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 000000000002db4a) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_d3d_share_handle_client_buffer EGL_ANGLE_surface_d3d_texture_2d_share_handle EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 1 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M Direct3D11 vs_4_1 ps_4_1)
WebGL 1 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 1 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture
WebGL 1 Extensions: ANGLE_instanced_arrays EXT_blend_minmax EXT_color_buffer_half_float EXT_frag_depth EXT_shader_texture_lod EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_element_index_uint OES_standard_derivatives OES_texture_float OES_texture_float_linear OES_texture_half_float OES_texture_half_float_linear OES_vertex_array_object WEBGL_color_buffer_float WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_depth_texture WEBGL_draw_buffers WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc MOZ_WEBGL_depth_texture
WebGL 2 Driver WSI Info: EGL_VENDOR: Google Inc. (adapter LUID: 000000000002db4a) EGL_VERSION: 1.4 (ANGLE 2.1.0.) EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANGLE_d3d_share_handle_client_buffer EGL_ANGLE_surface_d3d_texture_2d_share_handle EGL_ANGLE_query_surface_pointer EGL_ANGLE_window_fixed_size EGL_ANGLE_keyed_mutex EGL_ANGLE_surface_orientation EGL_NV_post_sub_buffer EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_stream EGL_KHR_stream_consumer_gltexture EGL_NV_stream_consumer_gltexture_yuv EGL_ANGLE_flexible_surface_compatibility EGL_EXTENSIONS(nullptr): EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle EGL_ANGLE_platform_angle_d3d EGL_ANGLE_device_creation EGL_ANGLE_device_creation_d3d11 EGL_ANGLE_experimental_present_path EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses
WebGL 2 Driver Renderer: Google Inc. -- ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M Direct3D11 vs_4_1 ps_4_1)
WebGL 2 Driver Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.)
WebGL 2 Driver Extensions: GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_EXT_sRGB GL_ANGLE_depth_texture GL_OES_depth32 GL_EXT_texture_storage GL_OES_texture_npot GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_NV_fence GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_blit GL_ANGLE_framebuffer_multisample GL_ANGLE_instanced_arrays GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_EXT_shader_texture_lod GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_ANGLE_texture_usage GL_ANGLE_translated_shader_source GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_NV_EGL_stream_consumer_external GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_KHR_debug GL_ANGLE_lossy_etc_decode GL_CHROMIUM_bind_uniform_location GL_CHROMIUM_sync_query GL_CHROMIUM_copy_texture GL_EXT_texture_norm16
WebGL 2 Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic EXT_disjoint_timer_query MOZ_debug_get OES_texture_float_linear WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc1 WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc WEBGL_debug_renderer_info WEBGL_debug_shaders WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_lose_context MOZ_WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc
Hardware H264 Decoding: No; DXVA2D3D9 crashes detected in the past
Audio Backend: wasapi
Direct2D: true
DirectWrite: true (6.2.9200.22164)
GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Vendor ID: 0x10de
Device ID: 0x0cb1
Driver Version: 21.21.13.4201
Driver Date: 11-14-2016
Drivers: nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Subsys ID: 00000000
RAM: 1024

Diagnostics
AzureCanvasAccelerated: 0
AzureCanvasBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureContentBackend: direct2d 1.1
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo
failures: [GFX1-]: (nsWindow) Detected device reset: 3

Crash Guard Disabled Features
D3D9 Video Decoder:

Failure Log
(#0) Error: (nsWindow) Detected device reset: 3
(#1) Error: (nsWindow) Finished device reset.
(#2) Error: (nsWindow) Detected device reset: 3
(#3) Error: (nsWindow) Finished device reset.
(#4) Error: DXVA2D3D9 just crashed; hardware video will be disabled.

Important Modified Preferences
------------------------------

accessibility.typeaheadfind.flashBar: 0
browser.cache.disk.capacity: 358400
browser.cache.disk.smart_size_cached_value: 307200
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.first_run: false
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.use_old_max: false
browser.download.importedFromSqlite: true
browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external: 2
browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction: 0
browser.places.smartBookmarksVersion: 4
browser.search.openintab: true
browser.search.useDBForOrder: true
browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo: 20
browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash: false
browser.startup.homepage: https://www.google.com/advanced_search
browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID: 20220607120905
browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone: 5.1.0
extensions.lastAppVersion: 31.1.0
font.internaluseonly.changed: true
general.useragent.updates.lastupdated: 1655742427060
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.appVersion: 31.1.0
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.deviceID: 0x0cb1
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.driverVersion: 21.21.13.4201
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d2d: true
gfx.crash-guard.d3d11layers.feature-d3d11: true
gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d11layers: 2
gfx.crash-guard.status.d3d9video: 1
gfx.direct3d.last_used_feature_level_idx: 0
media.benchmark.vp9.fps: 84
media.benchmark.vp9.versioncheck: 3
network.cookie.prefsMigrated: true
places.database.lastMaintenance: 1656331947
places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages: 43613
plugin.importedState: true
privacy.cpd.extensions-sessionmanager: false
privacy.cpd.extensions-tabmix: false
privacy.cpd.offlineApps: true
privacy.cpd.siteSettings: true
privacy.sanitize.migrateFx3Prefs: true
privacy.sanitize.timeSpan: 0
services.sync.declinedEngines:
storage.vacuum.last.index: 1
storage.vacuum.last.places.sqlite: 1654695193
storage.vacuum.last.queue.sqlite: 1653400907

Important Locked Preferences
----------------------------

Places Database
---------------

JavaScript
----------

Incremental GC: true

Accessibility
-------------

Activated: false
Prevent Accessibility: 1

Library Versions
----------------

NSPR
Expected minimum version: 4.25
Version in use: 4.25

NSS
Expected minimum version: 3.52.6
Version in use: 3.52.6

NSSSMIME

NSSSSL

NSSUTIL

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-27, 16:28

Hmm, nothing stands out there, immediately.

I suggest you try the following:
  1. I know you said you already tried clearing history, but it may not have been complete.
    Go to preferences -> privacy -> "clear your recent history" and check the following items. Make sure the top selection is "Everything":
    Image1.png
  2. If no joy, go to help -> restart in safe mode, and in the recovery dialog you get, select "Reset all user preferences to Pale Moon defaults" then click "Make changes and restart"
    Image2.png
  3. If still no joy, try creating an entirely new profile in the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mazeckenrode
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mazeckenrode » 2022-06-27, 22:15

First two options made no difference, but the last one did the trick. Thank you! Now for the daunting task of restoring all my extensions and settings…

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-27, 22:19

Sorry to hear you had to take the long road.
I'd love to know what all the toddler did to mess it up >.<

mazeckenrode
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mazeckenrode » 2022-06-27, 22:28

You and me both, friend. I tried asking him, but what came out of his mouth was likely about as understandable as what he’d typed. Thanks again for your help!

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2022-06-27, 22:44

Profile backups are a godsend. They can save your derriere when the chips are down. I back up my profile at least twice weekly. A good measure against disaster.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

mazeckenrode
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by mazeckenrode » 2022-06-28, 14:12

Excellent suggestion, and I keep meaning to keep up with that sort of thing. Hopefully, I’ll be more serious about it now.