@Moonchild @athenian200 Please add HTTP/HTTPS protocol to download SunOS builds

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

@Moonchild @athenian200 Please add HTTP/HTTPS protocol to download SunOS builds

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 16:26

Both Chrome and Firefox no longer support FTP protocol and asked to install a third party application. I tried some FTP programs on Windows but none worked. I'm unable to access ftp://ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/ (login as anonymous). Please consider adding HTTP/HTTPS protocol to download SunOS builds. You could ask @Moonchild to provide HTTP/HTTPS protocol @athenian. It's a work computer and we use Chrome. I don't want to download Pale Moon portable only to download SunOS builds (this is the only way now). Oracle Solaris is run under a VM and I will share the downloaded binary via Shared folder to the guest OS so I could use Pale Moon here too. Pale Moon is the default browser on Tribblix and I have good experience with it so I want to use it on my Solaris instead of Firefox. Thanks.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: @Moonchild @athenian200 Please add HTTP/HTTPS protocol to download SunOS builds

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-15, 16:36

Well, all I can do in that case is upload the build to my OneDrive again. :/

I didn't think I would have to actually provide an HTTPS download just because of Chrome and Firefox, and assumed anyone interested would be able to figure out how to access FTP without going through the browser. I can't setup proper HTTPS hosting for these files. That's so involved and modern and requires all kinds of expenses and certificates, etc.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Re: @Moonchild @athenian200 Please add HTTP/HTTPS protocol to download SunOS builds

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 16:39

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-15, 16:36
Well, all I can do in that case is upload the build to my OneDrive again. :/

I didn't think I would have to actually provide an HTTPS download just because of Chrome and Firefox, and assumed anyone interested would be able to figure out how to access FTP without going through the browser. I can't setup proper HTTPS hosting for these files.
HTTP is enough my friend. HTTPS is not really needed. Anything other than FTP is OK. Even torrent or magnet. IMO qBittorrent is easier to set up and get started with than a FTP client. The size of the builds are not large either. You could add them as Github release without any problems. You have a github account, right? :)
Last edited by nguyen9173 on 2022-06-15, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-06-15, 16:44

Use the ftp client that comes with your UNIX system.
Works perfectly here.
PS: I like FTP :-)
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 16:48

Pentium4User wrote:
2022-06-15, 16:44
Use the ftp client that comes with your UNIX system.
Works perfectly here.
PS: I like FTP :-)
I'm on Windows and even on Linux I hate FTP. I use SCP to copy my files to the server :)

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-15, 16:54

@athenian200 You could upload your builds to upload.ee alongside with your FTP server. This is the very hosting service Jooseng also uses. Don't waste your OneDrive storage with stuffs like this. OneDrive is personal storage and this is a public opensource works :)

https://www.upload.ee/

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-15, 19:55

I'll consider working out something later. For now, I put this release on both my OneDrive and anonymous FTP:

viewtopic.php?p=229329#p229329
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-06-15, 20:11

Aside from your request...

Wget works just fine.

Code: Select all

wget.exe  ftp://ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/Palemoon-31.1.0.solaris2.11-x86_64.tar.xz

My (old) download manager, Net Transport, loads the ftp: site just fine.
Though my (getting older) Salamander (file manager) does not?

230 Logged on
(16:12:28): Logged in successfully, getting system information...
SYST
215 UNIX emulated by FileZilla
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
(16:12:28): Changing path to "/sunos/"...
CWD /sunos/
250 CWD successful. "/sunos" is current directory.
PWD
257 "/sunos" is current directory.
(16:12:28): Listing path "/sunos"...
PORT 10,0,0,9,250,161
200 Port command successful
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
LIST
150 Opening data channel for directory listing of "/sunos"
425 Can't open data connection for transfer of "/sunos"
(16:12:51): Text listing was parsed by "UNIX1" server type...
(And of course, PM itself still supports ftp://.)

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-06-15, 20:58

From the release announcement:
If you're on Windows, you should be able to use either Internet Explorer or the Windows File Explorer to access FTP for now.
Too bad there's not a classic web browser that handles ftp and that runs on Windows that could have helped all these users with their ftp problems. Could call it 'Gray Dawn' or something catchy like that. Some bright devs should develop one, make a fortune I'm sure. :coffee:

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-15, 22:13

andyprough wrote:
2022-06-15, 20:58
Too bad there's not a classic web browser that handles ftp and that runs on Windows that could have helped all these users with their ftp problems. Could call it 'Gray Dawn' or something catchy like that. Some bright devs should develop one, make a fortune I'm sure. :coffee:
Well, the person who had the problem didn't want to download a Windows version of PM to get access to FTP, he said he was using a work computer and thus was limited to using stuff built into Windows. Presumably he's just using that to grab files but doesn't have permissions to install anything on that machine.

I didn't even get into Invoke-WebRequest in PowerShell, which is effectively a Windows equivalent of wget and the ftp command build into Windows. People are just surprisingly bad at dealing with a protocol being removed from major browsers and effectively consider it dead because a Google engineer said so. :/

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-06-16, 04:22

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-15, 22:13

Well, the person who had the problem didn't want to download a Windows version of PM to get access to FTP, he said he was using a work computer and thus was limited to using stuff built into Windows. Presumably he's just using that to grab files but doesn't have permissions to install anything on that machine.
He said he knew the solution was to download PM portable, just did not want to.

Anyway, hope you don't get burdened by special requests. Feel free to toss me some work if you need a hand.

distantpluto
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by distantpluto » 2022-06-16, 12:58

FireFTP 2.0.32 still works in Pale Moon. I use it myself.
Pale Moon and Epyrus on Arch Linux.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-16, 17:03

distantpluto wrote:
2022-06-16, 12:58
FireFTP 2.0.32 still works in Pale Moon. I use it myself.
Pale Moon itself dealing with FTP just fine, why I need to install addons? Also, I don't want to download Pale Moon portable at work.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-16, 17:08

@All Well, please don't blame me. The problem is not about downloading from FTP but browsing it. How could you know the name of the file to be downloaded before hand to feed it to wget without browsing the FTP directory first I wonder? About wget, as I have MSYS2 installed at work it's not a problem to install it. But, is wget able to browse the FTP directory the same way as Pale Moon does? I know graphical FTP client could browse it, too. But I have never able to get them working. As I said, anonymous login to your FTP server doesn't work. I also don't know which port to connect, too.

BTW, I think I shouldn't start this thread from the beginning because it only overcomplicated the problem. I will download the builds from your FTP server with Pale Moon at home, upload them to my personal cloud and get them from there at work. You don't have to bother with hosting them on your onedrive, @athenian200. Thank you for your quick reply anyway.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-06-16, 18:34

How could you know the name of the file
Heh, good point.

Well, assuming you know the the ftp site (& directory helps), ftp://ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/, you can feed that to wget, & that will download & save to an "index.html" file a listing of the directory contents.

wget.exe  ftp://ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/
index.html:

Index of /sunos on ftp2.palemoon.org:21

2022 May 11        File        palemoon-31.0.0.solaris2.11-x86_64-illumos.tar.xz  (43715064 bytes)
  2022 May 11        File        Palemoon-31.0.0.solaris2.11-x86_64.tar.xz  (43449240 bytes)
  2022 Jun 15 13:27  File        palemoon-31.1.0.solaris2.11-x86_64-illumos.tar.xz  (43584132 bytes)
  2022 Jun 15 14:07  File        Palemoon-31.1.0.solaris2.11-x86_64.tar.xz  (43396128 bytes)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-16, 19:37

nguyen9173 wrote:
2022-06-16, 17:08
@All Well, please don't blame me. The problem is not about downloading from FTP but browsing it. How could you know the name of the file to be downloaded before hand to feed it to wget without browsing the FTP directory first I wonder? About wget, as I have MSYS2 installed at work it's not a problem to install it. But, is wget able to browse the FTP directory the same way as Pale Moon does? I know graphical FTP client could browse it, too. But I have never able to get them working. As I said, anonymous login to your FTP server doesn't work. I also don't know which port to connect, too.

BTW, I think I shouldn't start this thread from the beginning because it only overcomplicated the problem. I will download the builds from your FTP server with Pale Moon at home, upload them to my personal cloud and get them from there at work. You don't have to bother with hosting them on your onedrive, @athenian200. Thank you for your quick reply anyway.
Right, both Internet Explorer and Windows File Explorer worked as graphical clients for me (at least for now), which is why I pointed them out.

You really shouldn't have to browse it, because the files should always be in the same location and follow a standard naming scheme. I didn't think of that being an issue, but I will link to the exact file name in the future.

ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/palemoon-31.1.0.solaris2.11-x86_64-illumos.tar.xz
ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/Palemoon-31.1.0.solaris2.11-x86_64.tar.xz

They should always be in the sunos directory named this way, and the only thing that will change with each version is the version number.

nguyen9173
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by nguyen9173 » 2022-06-17, 06:50

@athenian200 Well, I don't know Windows Explorer could still browse FTP. My bad. I think if Google and Mozlla phased out FTP then anyone else is also phased out it, too. You will see articles on the internet about why FTP is bad and so do any variants of it. These kind of articles were pushed for a long time. I recall I used to use FileZilla to push new files to my webserver. Today I mostly use SCP.

nero355
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by nero355 » 2022-07-01, 16:20

FTP.EXE works just fine! :mrgreen:

Or simply use The Best File Manager out there : Total Commander 8-) :thumbup: :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-07-01, 20:51

I didn't catch this thread because I was away to Germany, but if needed I can set up plain http access as a fallback if it's really necessary. If people are now using onedrive for downloads I'll work on getting something better done that can be directly updated by athenian.

edit: http://ftp2.palemoon.org/sunos/ now maps to the SunOS ftp dir. any updates in the ftp dir will show up automagically there.
while I was there I did the same for the avx builds by nuck-th http://ftp2.palemoon.org/avx/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite