Cannot restore previous session, for the first time Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Cannot restore previous session, for the first time

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2022-06-14, 08:29

Operating system: Mac (White Star community build)
Browser version: 31.1.0
32-bit or 64-bit browser?: 64

This is really terrible, since I always like to keep the same session going. I don't want to lose all my tabs. For the first time in recent memory, probably for the first time EVER, the "restore session" is greyed out. I am 99.9999% sure I did NOT accidentally erase history (which erases previous session unless already restored prior to history deletion). If there is at all a way to restore my session, then the greyed out option is a bug, is there a way to find my session somewhere in preferences on the hard drive, and "brute force" a session restore?

And since this will undoubtedly come up, NO, this is NOT related to me using a community build. This never happened before, including on version 31.1.0 of this build. So I will assume this is something that can happen to official Pale Moon builds too. And if so, there might be a real solution.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 04.31.21.png
Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 04.31.21.png (87.85 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Cannot restore previous session, for the first time

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-06-14, 10:02

FWIW, I am also using 64 bit Pale Moon 31.1.0, but I am using, at this time, a 64 bit linux distro (Mint 20.3 with Xfce) where you are using a community build for a Mac. My "Restore Previous Session" is NOT greyed out.

If no one else is experiencing this and only you are, it could be you inadvertently erased your History. If so, I do not know how you can get your previous session back.

If this is a bug, you'll just have to wait until someone else might have the same problem as you are or who has better knowledge than I do on how to get back your previous session running Pale Moon in a Mac.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-06-14, 17:18

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2022-06-14, 18:58

Falna wrote:
2022-06-14, 17:18
You could try this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27662&p=222203
Before I try that, is THIS a potential solution? EDIT: found a more likely candidate, changed screenshot.

I have to repeat, I am reasonably sure I did NOT erase any history instead of restoring session. If so, there should be SOME file somewhere that contains the old session info. And I don't know the correct extension or the folder of it.

EDIT #2: Session History Scounger for FF is either broken or temporarily broken (see second screenshot). Processing forever.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 16.36.24.png
Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 17.50.51.png

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2022-06-15, 03:57

Unstructured URL list option DID work, and it only took less than infinite time (only a few seconds). ALL of my tabs and windows are in there! Which proves:
— I did NOT delete history
— Grey Restore Session IS a new bug and apparently a rare one

So the problem is KIND OF solved, although an explanation of what might have went wrong would also be welcome.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2022-06-15, 04:10

It isn't bug - seesionstore in Pale Moon(and Firefox) never was deemed rock-reliable, because it doesn't use transactional database storage(which could protect it from corruption by ability to roll back last failed transaction). It is just JSON file, if any write error/unfinished write(like when browser is killed before write is complete, for example when you shutdown pc too fast after closing browser, or if crash happens) occurs, then json structure may get broken and parsing fails. When you start browser again, sessionstore.js is copied to sessionstore.bak, so if it was broken, then you won't get prompt to restore session. You are quite lucky as is, because you caught broken sessionstore before it was overwritten by new empty one.
To reliably store URLs it is always recommended to use bookmarks.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2022-06-15, 04:21

Nuck-TH wrote:
2022-06-15, 04:10
It isn't bug - seesionstore in Pale Moon(and Firefox) never was deemed rock-reliable, because it doesn't use transactional database storage(which could protect it from corruption by ability to roll back last failed transaction
Your point is too good to disagree with. You are probably 100% correct.