Running multiple Pale Moon instances on Linux Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Running multiple Pale Moon instances on Linux

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2022-05-22, 21:08

I use Pale Moon's portable version as a way to run multiple profiles at the same time on Windows. Is it possible to somehow start multiple profiles simultaneously on Linux or will they get in each other's way in ~/.cache or ~/.moonchild productions or somewhere?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Running multiple Pale Moon instances on Linux

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-22, 21:34

You'll have to use -no-remote (or export MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1)as well as give each instance its own profile directory to use (concurrent access to one profile is not possible) and point the browser to it using -profile "/your/path/here"

Maybe you'll need to use double-dashes instead of single on Linux; *nixers will likely be able to help you out better with that ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2022-05-22, 21:41

Nice! I'll give it a try :thumbup:

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-05-22, 22:54

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-22, 21:34
Maybe you'll need to use double-dashes instead of single on Linux; *nixers will likely be able to help you out better with that
Works equally well for me with single dashes or double dashes. This is a good little trick, thanks!

Bababo26
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Bababo26 » 2022-05-23, 14:42

Utnapishtim wrote:
2022-05-22, 21:08
I use Pale Moon's portable version as a way to run multiple profiles at the same time on Windows. Is it possible to somehow start multiple profiles simultaneously on Linux or will they get in each other's way in ~/.cache or ~/.moonchild productions or somewhere?
I do it using

Code: Select all

palemoon -P profilename --new-instance

nero355
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by nero355 » 2022-05-24, 12:43

Utnapishtim wrote:
2022-05-22, 21:08
I use Pale Moon's portable version as a way to run multiple profiles at the same time on Windows.

Is it possible to somehow start multiple profiles simultaneously on Linux or will they get in each other's way in ~/.cache or ~/.moonchild productions or somewhere?
It basically works the exact same way :
- Create additional Profile.
- Supply the Profile as argument to the browser when it starts.
- Add -no-remote to prevent overlapping Profiles.

DONE! :mrgreen:

If you want I can post the contents of my .desktop file that I made for the Pale Moon shortcut with a seperate Profile ?

Profiles are AWESOME!!! by the way :D I use them a lot for all kinds of purposes! ;)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-05-24, 12:53

If interested in Profile Manager details this 'Knowledge Base' article on Mozillazine still correct for current Pale Moon AFAIAA: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

As with making 'about:config' alterations a 'There be dragons here!' warning probably a good reminder. :)

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2022-05-24, 14:39

You can marked this solved I guess, thanks for all the advice everyone :thumbup: :thumbup:

I didn't expect this to be so easy, I think I'm gonna set up my Windows box to use multiple profiles on the regular PM install too, it wastes a lot less space than keeping a bunch of portable PM folders :D