Usage of pop-up blocking (also with private windows)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Usage of pop-up blocking (also with private windows)

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-05-22, 12:39

I always kept in the Preferences "Block popup windows" ticked. This usually prevented annoyances and caused further annoyances in 1-2 cases only (one new today, after move to 31.0.0 but I believe unrelated).
One occurred with a page of the Italian railways to retrieve the PDF timetables of selected stations https://www.rfi.it/it/stazioni/pagine-s ... -line.html. A litte icon appears in right hand side of the address bar, and it is enough to add www.rfi.it to the exception list and reload the page to get the output (which curiously enought is not a popup but opens in a new tab).

The other occurred today with my bank. I always browse my bank in a private window. The majority of PDF documents could and still can be retrieved normally (causing the "internal popup" which offers to save or view with a pdf viewer). There was one exception, i.e. a custom chronological list of operations. For this clicking on "download PDF" in the past opened both a blank gray window (obviously not a popup) and the usual PDF "internal popup". As of today the click seemed to be ineffective, until I noticed the litte icon in the right hand side of the address bar indicating a blocked popup. In its menu the option to add the bank domain to the exception list was present but disabled, and there were two further items (two because I clicked twice). Clicking on them allows to fire the usual PDF "internal popup" and save the doc (the only difference is that the file now have non-obvious names like 7SSsef9l.pdf while before they were named Movimenti_Conto_ddmmyyyy.pdf. It is obviously something they changed on the bank site/side :D). I have (with some reluctance) manually added the bank domain to the exception list, but I wonder whether this is honoured for private windows.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)