[Linux] Major elevation of CPU consumption after update to v31

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bSun0000
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: [Linux] Major elevation of CPU consumption after update to v31

Unread post by bSun0000 » 2022-06-27, 19:12

Shit happens (and sometimes hits the fan).
0strodamus did a great job of reducing the amount of (potentially problematic) patches to a such tiny list, otherwise it would took weeks to eyeball all this commits starting from 29.4 - its like ~450 of them, 9 full pages. It would need a ridiculous amount of dedication!

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2022-06-28, 00:49

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-27, 06:40
My apologies. I was just confused that there were two seemingly different reports here for the same thing.
No problem. Your reply was confusing to me too and I appreciate the clarification. Thanks!
Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-27, 08:10
You underestimate how important Linux users are to us ;-)

The problem with this is that it's intermittent/hard to pinpoint and Linux only (which I am not using as a daily driver and likely won't be using as a daily driver for quite some time to come, if ever), so it's not something I can personally work on with direct feedback.
It's not because I don't want to, but because I'm simply limited in what's reasonable for my workflow.

That being said: try https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... 7af389b574 and let me know if this solves the issue for you.
Good to hear that Linux users are valued! I completely understand how difficult issues like this can be to pinpoint when Linux isn't your daily driver or part of your workflow. Thanks for looking at the commits again and issuing a fix so quickly. I'll get a build set up with it and should be able to report back tomorrow with results. Hopefully I can second the positive result reported already by Simon P.
bSun0000 wrote:
2022-06-27, 19:12
0strodamus did a great job of reducing the amount of (potentially problematic) patches to a such tiny list, otherwise it would took weeks to eyeball all this commits starting from 29.4 - its like ~450 of them, 9 full pages. It would need a ridiculous amount of dedication!
Thanks for the positive feedback and for your contributions towards a fix!

bSun0000
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by bSun0000 » 2022-06-28, 08:57

I took an (very)old and rusty PC to test for sure if there is no other performance regression problems and i can confirm - everything is fixed and smooth.
In fact, in comparison to 29.4 branch this 31.1.0a1 (git:master) build works noticeable faster. Without using H\W accel, 0/1 Basic (OMTC).

Although Hardware H264 Decoding shows NO regardless of the configuration, even if i have a fully working VAAPI & VDPAU and the browser is compiled on the target PC with all required dev headers & libs. Video H\W accel works fine in other apps such as MPV so it should be something with the palemoon itself..

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2022-06-28, 23:37

Moonchild wrote:
2022-06-27, 08:10
That being said: try https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... 7af389b574 and let me know if this solves the issue for you.
This commit has fixed the remaining high CPU issues for me. Thanks for taking the time to resolve this, it is appreciated!

trunc88
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by trunc88 » 2022-06-29, 02:29

I've been testing a build with the mentioned commit since last night, and it does seem generally improved, but I am still seeing consistently elevated idle CPU usage on this previously mentioned page in particular: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28306&start=20. Now that I am writing this post, I can see that the posting form page is also giving me high CPU usage. Perhaps due to the animated smilies? I don't remember version 29 ever using this much CPU while idling, even with animations on the page. If you want any more information about my system I will be happy to provide it. Thanks!

bSun0000
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by bSun0000 » 2022-06-29, 03:20

trunc88 wrote:
2022-06-29, 02:29
I've been testing a build with the mentioned commit since last night, and it does seem generally improved, but I am still seeing consistently elevated idle CPU usage on this previously mentioned page in particular: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28306&start=20. Now that I am writing this post, I can see that the posting form page is also giving me high CPU usage. Perhaps due to the animated smilies? I don't remember version 29 ever using this much CPU while idling, even with animations on the page. If you want any more information about my system I will be happy to provide it. Thanks!
Are you sure you have switched to the master branch, for a both - Palemoon AND UXP? By default UXP is on Release.

git clone https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git ./
git submodule init && git submodule update
git checkout master && git submodule update
cd platform && git checkout master

root@bs-desktop:~/palemoon31.1# git checkout master && git submodule update
Already on 'master'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.
root@bs-desktop:~/palemoon31.1# ls
aclocal.m4 build config configure.py mach moz.configure palemoon README.md
AUTHORS client.mk configure.in LICENSE moz.build other-licenses platform
root@bs-desktop:~/palemoon31.1# cd platform/
root@bs-desktop:~/palemoon31.1/platform# git checkout master
Updating files: 100% (914/914), done.
Previous HEAD position was 2694995e5 Merge branch 'master' into 1210
Switched to branch 'master'
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/master'.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2022-06-29, 03:34

master is the default branch. Just don't checkout the release branch when you're referring to the build instructions at the dpmo.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

bSun0000
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by bSun0000 » 2022-06-29, 03:58

jobbautista9 wrote:
2022-06-29, 03:34
master is the default branch. Just don't checkout the release branch when you're referring to the build instructions at the dpmo.
Palemoon is on master branch by default. UXP submodule (as i shown above) was not. It was "fresh" clone so i'm pretty confident in that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-29, 09:00

When you check out Pale Moon it will be by default on master, and have a submodule pointer to UXP. While that pointer is generally also on master, it may not be on the latest commit of UXP master (because I don't update the submodule pointer with each UXP commit/merge) so manually checking out the master on UXP will be what you want if you want the very latest code version.

From the command-line this should be:

Code: Select all

git clone https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git ./
git submodule init && git submodule update
cd platform && git checkout master
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trunc88
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by trunc88 » 2022-06-29, 10:15

Aha, OK. I didn't notice that. That does seem to have done the trick, looks like CPU usage is back to normal so far.

nero355
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by nero355 » 2022-07-01, 16:04

bSun0000 wrote:
2022-06-28, 08:57
I took an (very)old and rusty PC to test for sure if there is no other performance regression problems and i can confirm - everything is fixed and smooth.
In fact, in comparison to 29.4 branch this 31.1.0a1 (git:master) build works noticeable faster. Without using H\W accel, 0/1 Basic (OMTC).
NICE! :D

Testing performance related issues on old slow hardware is IMHO the best way to improve software and avoid applications becoming a resources hog! :thumbup:
Although Hardware H264 Decoding shows NO regardless of the configuration, even if i have a fully working VAAPI & VDPAU and the browser is compiled on the target PC with all required dev headers & libs. Video H\W accel works fine in other apps such as MPV so it should be something with the palemoon itself...
That doesn't really surprise me to be honest : Video Hardware Acceleration in Firefox or even Chromium based browsers running under Linux is a huge challenge! :(

It needs a lot of work and you can make things slightly easier by switching to Wayland instead of using X.org from what I have understood so far...

Hereby I would also like to thank everyone involved in this thread and trying to solve this issue so thoroughly! :clap:
Let's hope that the next release will benefit from all these changes and that the issue won't show up EVER again! :mrgreen:

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2022-07-13, 19:22

I have tested the latest release v.31.1.1 with a couple of problematic sites. They work well now.

Mistakes happen and will continue to happen. The big problem with v.31 was the size of the release which made it difficult to troubleshoot. Thanks to those who did it!
Apart from that Pale Moon v.31 feels light and I don't have graphical glitches with the gtk3 version.