Use Github with Palemoon 31

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Use Github with Palemoon 31

Unread post by mmouse » 2022-05-14, 07:55

Operating system:Linux
Palemoon version: 31
64-bit browser
URL:github.com

Well, in fact I have solved my problem thanks to https://justoff.github.io/
I just wanted to add how to effectively fix it, because the change has been posted in a closed pull-request. Here is how to install the PR in Palemoon 31 under Linux

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill
cd github-wc-polyfill
now create a script called for example 'release' to generate the xpi. It's just a port of the existing release.cmd (a Windows only script)

#!/bin/bash

VER=1.2.19
sed -i -E "s/version>.+?</version>$VER</" install.rdf
sed -i -E "s/version>.+?</version>$VER</; s/download\/.+?\/github-wc-polyfill-.+?\.xpi/download\/$VER\/github-wc-polyfill-$VER\.xpi/" update.xml

XPI=github-wc-polyfill-$VER.xpi
if [ -f  "$XPI" ]; then rm $XPI -f ; fi
zip -r9q $XPI bootstrap.js icon.png install.rdf

then change the install.rdf like the rejected PR:

<em:maxVersion>99.*</em:maxVersion>
then start the new script:

bash release
a new github-wc-polyfill-1.2.19.xpi file will be generated that can be installed by browsing to it.

Added bonus: with Palemoon 31, I had no longer access to Ambassador from the menu. Disabling and enabling it had no effect.
Uninstaling it and installing it again allowed me to access it.
Now the Palemoon 30 kerfluffle is behind.
Happy browsing. Cheers !

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Use Github with Palemoon 31

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-05-14, 11:17

Off-topic:
I'm not a power user. Just a non-technical user. With that said, I'm curious. What distribution are you using?

I'm just asking because you state your operating system is Linux. But Linux is not an operating system. It’s a Kernel.

https://www.fosslinux.com/42926/is-linu ... kernel.htm

So when I see coding from someone who does not know the difference between an operating system and a kernel, it immediately raises "red flags" for me if you get my drift.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-14, 11:24

It would make a lot more sense to set the maxVersion to 31.* -- you can't know if future versions will be compatible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

pubpub
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by pubpub » 2022-05-15, 16:10

Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-14, 11:24
It would make a lot more sense to set the maxVersion to 31.* -- you can't know if future versions will be compatible.
I tried this and Pale Moon rejected the .xpi saying it was corrupted, only once I put 32.* did it work
I didn't come and post it here because I don't expect to get support when modifying an install.rdf so it lies to the browser

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-15, 18:14

I'd be patient and wait for the official -and imminent- extension updates instead of unnecessary hacking.

There's also the Pale Moon Web Technologies Polyfill Add-On. They are actually waiting too - for the next Pale Moon release which will resolve the e10 compatibility issue (see the Update to PM 31.0 Github issue).

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2022-05-16, 05:29

pubpub wrote:
2022-05-15, 16:10
Moonchild wrote:
2022-05-14, 11:24
I tried this and Pale Moon rejected the .xpi saying it was corrupted, only once I put 32.* did it work
I did the change to 31.* and it works just as well.
back2themoon wrote:
2022-05-15, 18:14

There's also the Pale Moon Web Technologies Polyfill Add-On.
because there is no build instruction. I never looked up xpi 'building' until now, it may be a tradition to keep potential users in the dark on about changing them, so I built it with this (and it works just as well as the other polyfill)

XPI=palefil-1.10.xpi
if [ -f  "$XPI" ]; then rm $XPI -f ; fi
zip -r9q $XPI bootstrap.js options.xul install.rdf lib/*.js

Night Wing wrote:
2022-05-14, 11:17
So when I see coding from someone who does not know the difference between an operating system and a kernel, it immediately raises "red flags" for me if you get my drift.[/offtopic]
you mean, this is turning you into a Bolchevik ? no problem with me.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-16, 07:58

pubpub wrote:
2022-05-15, 16:10
Pale Moon rejected the .xpi saying it was corrupte
Ensure you zipped up the extension files after modification properly, without including the parent folder they were contained in. install.rdf, chrome.manifest etc should be at the top level of your zip archive.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX