[Solved] XFCE Linux distros can't properly use the Ctrl+F6 shortcut for the extension "Password Hasher" Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

[Solved] XFCE Linux distros can't properly use the Ctrl+F6 shortcut for the extension "Password Hasher"

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-05-11, 19:19

I didn't know whether to put this into the "Browser Support" or the "Add-ons" subforum but, from all of my testing, this is something that only occurs on XFCE distros and therefore implies to me that there may be something in the browser itself that's not hooking correctly into the XFCE desktop environment, meaning that there may be not only other extensions but even built-in core functionality that I've simply not yet realized also doesn't behave correctly on XFCE.

So for the time being, the one situation where I know this does occur is with the old Firefox extension "Password Hasher" (click the "Download anyway" link on the page): Simply put, the expected behavior is that, when you're typing in any text field (such as the Pale Moon forum's own login page, or even something like this forum's text-box for typing up a new post), pressing Ctrl+F6 is supported to bring up the Password Hasher window:

...but on XFCE distros (Mint XFCE 20.3, Xubuntu 22.04, Manjaro XFCE 21.2.2), this simply doesn't occur - there's a quick flash of the text box but that's it.

I even tried this in a virtual machine in order to make sure it's not some weird hardware GPU driver bug, but the same non-working behavior occurred even in VirtualBox.

Similarly, this incorrect behavior occurs with both the GTK2 and GTK3 version of Pale Moon.

For reference, the extension seems to "just work" without issue, including the Ctrl+F6 keyboard shortcut, regardless of Pale Moon version and regardless of what OS you're running (Windows, Linux)... just as long as your Linux distro doesn't use XFCE.

The Linux distros where I've confirmed that the Ctrl+F6 shortcut works without issue is Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Manjaro 21.2.6 KDE, and Fedora 35.

All Linux distros except Mint 18.3 Cinnamon were tested using live ISOs and with a fresh download of Pale Moon's Linux tarball; on the XFCE distros I also tested both the GTK2 and GTK3 versions of Pale Moon. Also the only distro I tested in VirtualBox was Mint 20.3 XFCE.
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2022-05-11, 19:58, edited 2 times in total.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: XFCE Linux distros can't properly use the Ctrl+F6 shortcut for the extension "Password Hasher"

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2022-05-11, 19:31

Seems like XFCE has it's own bindings for Ctrl+Fx combinations.
Not sure if this article is still relevant(i have no ready environment to test), but you can try.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: XFCE Linux distros can't properly use the Ctrl+F6 shortcut for the extension "Password Hasher"

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-05-11, 19:38

The window manager (or someone in its stead) could simply take over the keybinding and not deliver it to the browser.
For example, this unanswered thread from 2015 on linuxquestions shows the same symptoms for some other unknown application: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175530386/

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-05-11, 19:44

Looks like all that was required for me was going into XFCE's Settings Editor aka xfce4-settings-editor, selecting the channel xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts, and remapping any and all listings that say "<Control>F6".

For "/xfwm4/custom/<Control>F6" this requires selecting it, clicking Reset, and the clicking New with the Type set as String, and the Value as the same workspace_6_key, but making sure to instead set the Property to something like /xfwm4/custom/<Control><Shift><Alt>F6

But "/xfwm4/default/<Control>F6" seems to be unable to be similarly Reset so the next best thing is to click Edit and make its Value textbox blank.

So basically this was a case of "it's not a defect, it's a feature!" :lol: