No update from 30.x offered

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Quorx
Moon lover
Moon lover

No update from 30.x offered

Unread post by Quorx » 2022-05-10, 10:48

Yes, I know we should have gone back from version 30 to 29. But since I had installed PM30 only on a test computer, I didn't bother to go back to the old version at this installation.
Now I wanted to update the installation there to PM31.
However, the update is not offered there (I got the update to 30.0.1, that's all).

Does this mean that an update from PM30 to PM31 is not wanted because it could lead to problems? Or has the option just been forgotten and you can safely install the released version over it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: No update from 30.x offered

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-10, 10:54

It hasn't been forgotten, but v30 uses a different compression scheme for updates that requires different handling server-side. I'm working on streamlining both versions.
You should be able to just install v31 in the meantime.

EDIT: Automatic update service has been configured for updating from v30
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-05-12, 04:00

I have to ask, the release page says to "downgrade" to 29. I'm on 30.0.1, can I just do a normal update? (I don't even have any particular negative issue on this version)

Is it safe to update?

ajgelado
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ajgelado » 2022-05-12, 05:55

I was on Pale Moon 30.0.1, and a few hours ago I was offered the update to 31.0 automatically. I downloaded and installed it without any problem (except for a minor bug with the new version of Tab Mix Plus, which I already have reported in its forum).

I just wanted to confirm that automatic updates work with 30.0.1.

Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-05-12, 06:16

It seems to have worked. Mostly I was worried about losing sessions, passwords, getting logged out of everything... and all that stuff.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-12, 10:02

I've adjusted the release notes to say to upgrade instead, now. Thanks for pointing out the confusing statement now v31 is out.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

darkarts
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by darkarts » 2022-05-26, 16:19

I'm running 30.0.0 and have not been auto-prompted to update as has always been the case in the past. Now even going to Help -> Check for Updates ... results in "There are no updates available. Pale Moon will check periodically for updates."

Do I need to do a full re-install or is Check for Updates supposed to work still?

Thanks.

darkarts
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by darkarts » 2022-06-08, 15:32

Today I was prompted to upgrade to the latest release. This was downloaded but the update dialog just hung in the "Applying update ..." phase. A restart to apply the upgrade resulted in this:

Is there any way to debug/recover from this, or should I just give up and download the entire new release afresh?

Thanks.
https://ukwhois.uk/ for all your UK domain lookup needs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-06-08, 18:52

Applying update -can- take a while but due to v30's instabilities it's also possible it just permanently failed instead. There was a reason it was pulled.
Just download the latest installer and go from there.
If you run into issues still, make a fully clean install on a new profile as extended use of v30 in that case likely borked your profile into oblivion.

darkarts
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by darkarts » 2022-06-09, 11:17

I archived the old 30.0 instance and took a backup of my ~/.moonchild productions directory, downloaded and unpacked the 31.1.0 tarball (gtk3) and everything seems to have worked swimmingly. Thanks for your advice. :thumbup:
https://ukwhois.uk/ for all your UK domain lookup needs.