Problem with WebComponents Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Problem with WebComponents

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-03-31, 19:20

Is there a way to enable WebComponents for only certain websites instead of the whole browser?
In order to use Pixiv, it turns out I now need to have WebComponents on, and in order to do that, I go into about:config and set dom.webcomponents.enabled to true.
However, when I want to use YouTube, I have to disable this setting. I find this switching back and forth quite annoying.

So, is there a way to enable WC for only Pixiv and no other websites?

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Problem with WebComponents

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-03-31, 20:03

I'd like to know this as well since pixiv is the only reason that I too amd now having to enable the WebComponents option.

(interestingly though, the actual page design of pixiv doesn't look visually any different to me compared to how it looked when you were able to access pixiv without WebComponents as of exactly 24 hours ago; the change-over happened somewhere around 18 hours ago)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-03-31, 23:32

Webcomponents' implementation in Pale Moon is incomplete, enabling that option will break more sites than it works for because the browser will advertise it as supported even to those sites that may otherwise offer a fallback, so use it with caution. It is a global setting, not something that can be turned on per site.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-01, 01:17

moonbat wrote:
2022-03-31, 23:32
Webcomponents' implementation in Pale Moon is incomplete, enabling that option will break more sites than it works for because the browser will advertise it as supported even to those sites that may otherwise offer a fallback, so use it with caution.
I figured as much which is why this thread is relevant to my interests, and I would imagine this is also exactly why OP is asking the question that they are asking.

Unfortunately for me, as a certified weeaboo, I visit pixiv a lot. Luckily no other sites I use seem to break from having WebComponents enabled, perhaps because most of the sites I visit use late 2000s-style web page designs in a manner similar to this very forum (e.g. http://vndb.org, and I similarly prefer using teddit, invidious, and nitter rather than full-fat reddit, youtube, and twitter).

So, at least for me, it's not that big of an issue...

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-04-01, 02:34

__NM64__ wrote:
2022-04-01, 01:17
Luckily no other sites I use seem to break from having WebComponents enabled, perhaps because most of the sites I visit use late 2000s-style web page designs in a manner similar to this very forum (e.g. http://vndb.org, and I similarly prefer using teddit, invidious, and nitter rather than full-fat reddit, youtube, and twitter).
Off-topic:
Nice, a fellow traveler of the privacy redirect websites. I waste way too much time on nitter and teddit and yewtu.be. Did you know that there's one for Wikipedia now called Wikiless? I'm assuming you've found the fantastic Pale Moon URL Rewriter extension that automatically redirects links?

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-05, 04:37

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2022-04-01, 02:34
I'm assuming you've found the fantastic Pale Moon URL Rewriter extension that automatically redirects links?
A big reason I had used these alternative sites is actually to avoid the "javascript all of the things!" web design that loves to fully peg a single CPU thread.

Nevertheless, I actually had been relying on the "YT2Invidio" userscript as my self-scripting abilities are... lacking enough that I can't even seem to get URL Rewriter working as intended. I don't suppose you could export and share your configuration?

Also if you don't already know, check out Imgin in-place of imgur (if you do export your "URL Rewriter" configuration, then I'd appreciate it if you included a config for imgin)

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-04-05, 12:54

__NM64__ wrote:
2022-04-05, 04:37
Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2022-04-01, 02:34
I'm assuming you've found the fantastic Pale Moon URL Rewriter extension that automatically redirects links?
A big reason I had used these alternative sites is actually to avoid the "javascript all of the things!" web design that loves to fully peg a single CPU thread.

Nevertheless, I actually had been relying on the "YT2Invidio" userscript as my self-scripting abilities are... lacking enough that I can't even seem to get URL Rewriter working as intended. I don't suppose you could export and share your configuration?

Also if you don't already know, check out Imgin in-place of imgur (if you do export your "URL Rewriter" configuration, then I'd appreciate it if you included a config for imgin)
Off-topic:
Thanks for letting me know about imgin, very cool!!
Here you go, sorry I didn't see your post earlier - you can download the config file from my archive.org page (this forum doesn't like json files as attachments): https://archive.org/details/redirector_202204
Just go into the URL Rewriter preferences and it has an "Import" button for importing this config file.
I added imgur for you, and it's set up for nitter.net, teddit.net, yewtu.be, and wikiless. If you need to change any addresses, like if nitter.it is working better than nitter.net, then you'll see the editing of the redirect url snippets is very simple.
Adding new redirects is not intuitive, but you'll be able to see from mine that you add something like */imgur.com/* into the "Include Pattern" box, $1/imgin.voidnet.tech/$2 into the "Redirect To" box (so that the $1 and $2 match with the first and second * in the first url snippet), select "Wildcard" as the pattern, and make sure it is enabled. Sometimes you have to try different url snippet patterns to get one working. Just PM me if you have any trouble with the download or any other issues with it.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-05, 16:55

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Daikun wrote:
2022-03-31, 19:20
I find this switching back and forth quite annoying.
There's a few things you can try to make the switching more convenient / less annoying for you...

1. Use a Bookmark.
Simplest is probably to bookmark the preference in about:config using this as the bookmark's address, then just stick it somewhere quick to access, click when needed:

Code: Select all

about:config?filter=dom.webcomponents.enabled

2. Install QuickPrefBar (an extension).
Use this to make a button that toggles the WebComponents preference. It's a fork of Manuel Reimer's PrefBar, and the original's website has alot of useful information.
It isn't hard to do, though the extension itself takes a little time to get familiar with.

3. Install Custom Buttons (an extension).
Then add the Preference Switcher button to it from Odyseus' button list and adapt that to toggle the WebComponents preference.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-05, 20:19

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2022-04-05, 12:54
Here you go, sorry I didn't see your post earlier - you can download the config file from my archive.org page (this forum doesn't like json files as attachments): https://archive.org/details/redirector_202204
I only just made my post yesterday... and quick protip for small files: https://ttm.sh

But anyway, thanks a bunch as that's working great and I was even able to successfully tweak it to use my desired nitter instance as well; now I should have a good working foundation for if I need to make others because I can definitely see now that I was indeed "doing it wrong"

One quick request though - could you quickly put together an "exclude" for both "www.youtube.com/embed/[whatever]" as well as "twitter.com/notifications" so that I not only can use them but also get a similar working baseline for how an exclude should be set up?

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-04-05, 21:20

Off-topic:
__NM64__ wrote:
2022-04-05, 20:19
quick protip for small files: https://ttm.sh

One quick request though - could you quickly put together an "exclude" for both "www.youtube.com/embed/[whatever]" as well as "twitter.com/notifications" so that I not only can use them but also get a similar working baseline for how an exclude should be set up?
Good to know about ttm.sh, I was unaware of that handy little tool.

I had not tried an exclude before, but it appears that you put a url snippet in the exclude box similar to the url snippet in the include box. I don't do anything directly on youtube and I don't have a twitter account (just go there to hunt for memes), so I couldn't test those, but I did try adding an exclude to my reddit entries for the Void Linux sub-reddit and it worked. So in order to get redirect to work for reddit, I've got */reddit.com/* and */www.reddit.com/* entries, and for those I added an exclude of */reddit.com/r/voidlinux/* and */www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/*. Screenshot attached.

So the youtube.com/embed/ exclude should look like */www.youtube.com/embed/* and */youtube.com/embed/* for the www.youtube and youtube entries, and twitter should be just one exclude entry of */twitter.com/notifications/*. Hope it works ok for you.
Attachments
2022-04-05_15-59.jpg

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-05, 21:34

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
2022-04-05, 21:20
So in order to get redirect to work for reddit, I've got */reddit.com/* and */www.reddit.com/* entries, and for those I added an exclude of */reddit.com/r/voidlinux/* and */www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/*.
OK yep, everything's working! Thanks a bunch and maybe we'll stop junking up this thread now. :P

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-04-05, 22:46

coffeebreak wrote:
2022-04-05, 16:55
Then add the Preference Switcher button to it from Odyseus' button list and adapt that to toggle the WebComponents preference.
Do I use the signed or unsigned version? Does it matter?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-06, 01:27

Daikun wrote:
2022-04-05, 22:46
signed or unsigned version? Does it matter?
Either one should work, but I believe it's more appropriate to use the unsigned one.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-04-06, 02:44

Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
I had not tried an exclude before...Hope it works ok for you.
As I mentioned in my previous off-topic post, it works, but I just discovered that now I have no idea how to make it exclude multiple pages, e.g. if I wanted to exclude both "www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/" and "www.reddit.com/r/amdnews"

Don't suppose you know how to do this? (I humored myself and even tried making a completely separate entry but it didn't seem to work...)

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-04-06, 04:31

coffeebreak wrote:
2022-04-05, 16:55
Sorry to quote this again, but I just tried installing this extension and both versions of the XPI are incompatible with PM, so option 3 is a bust.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-06, 05:07

Daikun wrote:
2022-04-06, 04:31
both versions of the XPI are incompatible with PM
Add Pale Moon's GUID to the xpi's install.rdf first (see here or here).
Sorry, I forgot to say this was (currently) needed.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-04-06, 05:24

Off-topic:
__NM64__ wrote:
2022-04-06, 02:44
Off-topic:
andyprough wrote:
I had not tried an exclude before...Hope it works ok for you.
As I mentioned in my previous off-topic post, it works, but I just discovered that now I have no idea how to make it exclude multiple pages, e.g. if I wanted to exclude both "www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux/" and "www.reddit.com/r/amdnews"

Don't suppose you know how to do this? (I humored myself and even tried making a completely separate entry but it didn't seem to work...)
For that we will need to use the pipe symbol as our "or" statement in the Exclude line. So in your example for */www.reddit.com/*, our exclude line will now look like this, with a pipe between voidlinux and amdnews:

*/www.reddit.com/r/voidlinux|amdnews/*
and we would need to add a similar exclude line for our */reddit.com/* entry:

*/reddit.com/r/voidlinux|amdnews/*
Once you do that your excludes should work fine, I tried them.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-20, 10:10

Daikun wrote:
2022-03-31, 19:20
I find this switching back and forth quite annoying.
Someone recently made a button to toggle the Web Components setting.
See this post.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-04-20, 22:42

Thank you for letting me know about that! I wouldn't have known otherwise. :thumbup:

I really recommend checking out that post and installing tellu-white's new add-on. It's a huge time-saver.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-10-03, 19:16

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I just discovered that Palefill seems to make pixiv function correctly even with WebComponents disabled:
This is a much more elegant solution than manually toggling WebComponents on and off, and also has the side benefit of making github and especially gitlab work correctly (gitlab in particular wouldn't work even with WebComponents enabled).

Furthermore, it seems that it actually makes pixiv work more correctly than if you just had WebComponents enabled since I found that there were some derpy alignment of items at the top of the page, particularly with the search bar like it being partially under some other items and stuff - with Palefill it's all corrected.

...that being said, it would seem that pixivFANBOX still requires WebComponents to be enabled.