Problem with WebComponents Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Problem with WebComponents

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2022-11-23, 00:26

Daikun wrote:
2022-04-06, 04:31
coffeebreak wrote:
2022-04-05, 16:55
3. Install Custom Buttons (an extension).
Then add the Preference Switcher button to it from Odyseus' button list and adapt that to toggle the WebComponents preference.
Sorry to quote this again, but I just tried installing this extension and both versions of the XPI are incompatible with PM, so option 3 is a bust.
Try this version, it's called "Custom Buttons3" with a new interface, it worked for me:

Homepage: https://sonco.synthasite.com/pale-moon.php
Download: https://sonco.synthasite.com/resources/ ... 59.1.2.xpi

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-11-23, 01:38

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2022-11-23, 00:26
Try this version, it's called "Custom Buttons3" with a new interface, it worked for me:
Just use Palefill instead, according to NM64's previous post. It works better.
__NM64__ wrote:
2022-10-03, 19:16
Apologies for bumping this thread, but I just discovered that Palefill seems to make pixiv function correctly even with WebComponents disabled:
This is a much more elegant solution than manually toggling WebComponents on and off, and also has the side benefit of making github and especially gitlab work correctly (gitlab in particular wouldn't work even with WebComponents enabled).

Furthermore, it seems that it actually makes pixiv work more correctly than if you just had WebComponents enabled since I found that there were some derpy alignment of items at the top of the page, particularly with the search bar like it being partially under some other items and stuff - with Palefill it's all corrected.

...that being said, it would seem that pixivFANBOX still requires WebComponents to be enabled.

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2022-11-27, 02:28

Daikun wrote:
2022-11-23, 01:38
jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2022-11-23, 00:26
Just use Palefill instead, according to NM64's previous post. It works better.
I use both, because I visit fanbox.cc sometimes, and without WebComponents enabled the page shows a blank page even with Palefill.

This is just a workaround for me, I still wait for Palemoon to fully implement WebComponents because rn it's pretty unconfortable to turn on and turn of WebComponents manually.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2022-11-27, 02:49

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2022-11-27, 02:28
I use both, because I visit fanbox.cc sometimes, and without WebComponents enabled the page shows a blank page even with Palefill.
Have submitted the feedback to the author of Palefill. There is a workaround if you're willing to edit the extension.
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

tellu-white
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tellu-white » 2022-11-29, 02:05

jangdonggun1234 wrote:
2022-11-27, 02:28
it's pretty unconfortable to turn on and turn of WebComponents manually
I have made an Add-On that AUTOMATICALLY changes the setting "dom.webcomponents.enabled = true" for a page ("domain") which have been added to "Options" and automatically returns to the "default" setting ("dom.webcomponents.enabled = false") when I activate another TAB or when I close that page.

Screenshots:

1. The URL https://www.fanbox.cc/ has not yet been added to "options" (the page is blank).
01.png
2. Since the URL https://www.fanbox.cc/ has not yet been added to "options", the page does not appear in the add-on's options list.
02.png
3. Right-click on the add-on button to add the URL https://www.fanbox.cc/ to options. In the menu that opens, click on "Add page that requires Web Components".
03.png
4. In the window that opens, enter the page name (of your choice) and its URL (including the HTTPS "protocol").
04.png
5. After adding the URL https://www.fanbox.cc/ to the options, the page "fanbox.cc" loads properly.
05.png
6. Now, the "fanbox.cc" page is also in the add-on's options list, and so the "Web Components" will automatically be set to "true" every time a page that belongs to the "top level domain" "fanbox.cc" is opened.
06.png
7. When switching to a TAB whose URL has not been added to the options (e.g. https://forum.palemoon.org/), "Web Components" will automatically be set to "false".
07.png
8. Pages that need "dom.webcomponents.enabled = true" and are opened by Clicking on a Link must be opened in the FOREGROUND with "Ctrl + Shift" pressed while Clicking on a Link (e.g. on a page with "Google Search" results - or when navigating between different pages of a website that needs "dom.webcomponents.enabled = true").
08.png
09.png

You can download the add-on here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/78xoiy67qbf41tt/webcomponents_on_off.zip/file

Try it and see if it's ok for you.
In the ZIP archive you will also find the "HELP.txt" file with more detailed information about how the add-on works.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-29, 02:59

tellu-white wrote:
2022-11-29, 02:05
I have made an Add-On that AUTOMATICALLY changes the setting "dom.webcomponents.enabled = true" for a page ("domain") which have been added to "Options" and automatically returns to the "default" setting ("dom.webcomponents.enabled = false") when I activate another TAB or when I close that page.
I had your previous manual toggle extension installed, and I cannot help but notice that both versions have a version number of 1.0 - wouldn't this newer automatic version be considered at least a 1.1 version if not a 1.5 or 2.0?

tellu-white
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tellu-white » 2022-11-29, 12:13

@__NM64__

You're right. So far I have only paid attention to functionality and neglected the aspect you mentioned. In fact, I'm not even sure if the new version should be numbered 1.1 or 2.0 :) Maybe one day I'll take the time to research this topic.

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-29, 21:29

tellu-white wrote:
2022-11-29, 12:13
I'm not even sure if the new version should be numbered 1.1 or 2.0 :) Maybe one day I'll take the time to research this topic.
It's my understanding that there's not an exact science or policy - you can just do what you feel like.

I personally vote for calling it 2.0 since going from manual toggle to automatic seems like a pretty big change.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2022-11-29, 23:23

Off-topic:
Regarding version numbers, they are not an exact science, but they are a pretty well-understood science.

<major_version_number>(dot)<minor_version_number>(dot)<point_version_number>(dot)<optional_madness_version_number>

The major version number increments, and only increments, if such major changes have been made to the application/service/API/whatever that breaks any prior interaction with the application. Traditionally this means that if file types saved by the previous version can no longer be loaded by the new version, or previous profiles can no longer be used/loaded, or previous styles of general interaction (UI, huge overhaul) are no longer valid, or previous database formats can't be loaded, or previous themes won't work, or previous plug-ins, or whatever. If it means things "break" then the major version number increments.
This is a clear communication to the user that they need to be ware of a potentially breaking change in their usage.
When a major version number is incremented, all version numbers to the right are reset to 0.
This type of upgrade rarely happens these days, as often a new product name is created instead of making breaking changes.
(This is why most browsers have effectively/obnoxiously removed this version number from their releases.)

The minor version number is used for large and small changes alike, including new features, bug fixes, security updates, and nearly anything else that doesn't end up causing breaking changes for existing users. Almost every version change falls under this category. This is the "meat and potatoes" of version updating.
(And if you're an idiotic web browser that thinks numbers going up faster is a good thing, then you might use this as your advertised major version number. Why some browsers want to scare their users into thinking there are breaking changes every few weeks is beyond me.)
When a minor version number is incremented, all version numbers to the right are reset to 0.

The "point" version number is used to describe a nearly imperceptible and almost certainly inconsequential (to the user) change that was made. This includes things like typo fixes in code comments, small code style updates, maybe very light refactoring if you like to live on the wild side.
When a "point" version number is incremented, all version numbers to the right are reset to 0.

The optional madness version number is something some places use that IMO don't understand the above, or for whatever reason just need a 4th level of hell to descend into.
Off-topic:
Obviously there are other ways to version. Datestamps are common, and have their benefits and downsides. Sometimes the optional madness version number mentioned above is assigned as a datestamp, giving sort of the best of both worlds.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-30, 10:33

Off-topic:
You can use any versioning scheme you want. there is no "exact science" to it, only "common practice". Just make sure it evaluates sanely to something the server can check in a way that compares to "bigger" with each update.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-12-10, 00:50

It may be worth mentioning that fanbox seems to work correctly now with the Palefill extension.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-12-15, 00:51

tellu-white wrote:
2022-11-29, 02:05
Just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate this gem of an extension - thanks!! I love it when a clear need gets a straightforward solution. :clap:

tellu-white
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by tellu-white » 2022-12-15, 10:31

@andyprough

Thank you for your appreciation and I'm glad my add-on was useful to you.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2023-01-24, 18:09

Palefill is no longer with compatible with PM starting with version 32.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-01-24, 18:29

Daikun wrote:
2023-01-24, 18:09
Palefill is no longer with compatible with PM starting with version 32.
An issue has been opened for that on Palefill's GitHub page.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2023-03-21, 22:24

The latest version of PM (32.1.0) now has WebComponents enabled.
Now is a good time to bump this thread and make note of any issues that may arise from this update.

EDIT: Guess I don't need Palefill anymore, and Wix-hosted websites just work out of the box now. :thumbup:
Last edited by Daikun on 2023-03-22, 01:07, edited 3 times in total.

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2023-03-21, 23:41

Daikun wrote:
2023-03-21, 22:24
The latest version of PM (32.1.0) now has WebComponents enabled.
Now is a good time to bump this thread and make note of any issues that may arise from this update.
Well, I just reverted to 32.0.1, because 32.1.0 crashed on me four times in under ten minutes. Each time it was when loading stuff, and while I'm not sure from where the first two times, the last two times, it happened when when a site was loading (presumably ad tracking) stuff from Google and from Google-owned YouTube.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-03-22, 04:38

ehrbar wrote:
2023-03-21, 23:41
Well, I just reverted to 32.0.1, because 32.1.0 crashed on me four times in under ten minutes. Each time it was when loading stuff, and while I'm not sure from where the first two times, the last two times, it happened when when a site was loading (presumably ad tracking) stuff from Google and from Google-owned YouTube.
What sites triggered the crashes? I'd like to try to replicate.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-22, 06:21

tellu-white wrote:
2022-12-15, 10:31
Thank you for your appreciation and I'm glad my add-on was useful to you.
Question for you and Moonchild - does toggling the web components on/off preference on the fly work? I was always under the impression it needs a browser restart for the changes to take effect. If it does I might consider updating PermissionsPlus with this.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-22, 11:55

moonbat wrote:
2023-03-22, 06:21
does toggling the web components on/off preference on the fly work?
It should work, but with a caveat that a site may experience unexpected behaviour if it's still doing things in the background at the moment of toggling it. You will at least need a full page refresh as well. it is also possible that it impacts stability depending on how "busy" things are when the pref is toggled since it's such a deeply-impacting change involving the parser and layout engine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite