Problem with WebComponents Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ehrbar

Re: Problem with WebComponents

Unread post by ehrbar » 2023-03-22, 12:50

dbsoft wrote:
2023-03-22, 04:38
ehrbar wrote:
2023-03-21, 23:41
Well, I just reverted to 32.0.1, because 32.1.0 crashed on me four times in under ten minutes. Each time it was when loading stuff, and while I'm not sure from where the first two times, the last two times, it happened when when a site was loading (presumably ad tracking) stuff from Google and from Google-owned YouTube.
What sites triggered the crashes? I'd like to try to replicate.
Of the tabs I had open (and re-opened) I'm pretty sure the site was reason.com , possibly triggered when I went into article comments.

(My browser profile is full of cruft dating back to the Firefox 3 era, and so is my collection of add-ons, so I would not be remotely shocked if this is due to a hard-to-replicate interaction specific to me. So, I'm not expecting anyone to fix it. If I get some free time, I'll grab the portable, try to replicate without all that mess.)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-22, 14:49

ehrbar wrote:... If I get some free time, I'll grab the portable, try to replicate without all that mess
Why not just start a clean profile for testing? https://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Mana ... ew_profile

You get a clean out-of-the-box state Pale Moon 32.1.0... "without all that mess" :)

Bookmark 'about:profiles' once you have created clean test profile... and you can click 'Launch profile in a new browser' button.
Last edited by Blacklab on 2023-03-22, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-03-22, 15:02

ehrbar wrote:
2023-03-22, 12:50
Of the tabs I had open (and re-opened) I'm pretty sure the site was reason.com , possibly triggered when I went into article comments.
Thanks I was able to reproduce it and opened UXP#2171 to track it.

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2023-03-22, 17:13

Blacklab wrote:
2023-03-22, 14:49
ehrbar wrote:... If I get some free time, I'll grab the portable, try to replicate without all that mess
Why not just start a clean profile for testing?
Because I already reverted my version of the browser to one that doesn't crash on me for regular use. I'd have had to download the new version to do testing while keeping my old version alone for non-testing, actually-doing-stuff.

(And if for regular use I wanted to abandon things like an ancient add-on from a long-defunct company, or have to re-customize my UI from scratch to get it to work the way I'm used to, I'd probably just switch to a browser other than Pale Moon.)

Anyway, since it's been replicated by others, now I don't need to test to find out if it was just my configuration.

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Sessh » 2023-03-23, 01:02

You can create and load a clean profile without in any way altering your daily driver profile, so I'm not sure what you're afraid of there. You can even open the clean profile in a new window without even closing your main browser window as someone already told you, so I would suggest you just do that. If your issue disappears, then you know it's something with your profile or one of your addons.

As for WebComponents, I can really feel the improvements. Youtube runs smooth now as well as some other sites working better. Great job team!

ehrbar

Unread post by ehrbar » 2023-03-23, 14:08

Sessh wrote:
2023-03-23, 01:02
You can create and load a clean profile without in any way altering your daily driver profile, so I'm not sure what you're afraid of there.
I'm not "afraid" of anything, it's just that a new profile would not actually have addressed the situation.

1) I can't "just" test 32.1.0 with a new profile when (as I explicitly stated, twice) I've already reverted to running 32.0.1 as my daily driver browser to visit my daily websites with my daily driver profile. I'd have to install 32.1.0 separately to test if the problem was inherent to 32.1.0 or a result of my profile interacting with 32.1.0 (which is in fact exactly the course of action that I proposed before someone who didn't comprehend my posts suggested I "just" start a clean profile for testing).

2) As it turns out anyway, without me doing the testing, the issue is not in my profile, it's a bug in 32.1.0 entirely independent of my profile, as has already been recreated by someone else (as they and I both specifically mentioned in this very thread before you replied!).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-23, 14:23

I'm going to close this thread because it runs the risk of becoming a confusing pool of problems and solutions all intermingled.
if you have a specific, unique problem that has not yet been reported, please create a new topic with a clear subject summarizing the issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite