Can't get flash working Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Can't get flash working

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-30, 07:20

WiseWolf wrote:
2022-05-30, 05:34
ADOBE cannot open source the whole thing, even if they wanted to?
Modern proprietary software, especially complex ones like this, have all kinds of dependencies and licensed technologies. One can only speculate given it is closed source, but they may not own the entire IP and there would be bits that are licensed from others. Tobin had explained this in an earlier thread long ago. So it isn't entirely theirs to license, and not worth it for them to spend time and money untangling all the legal issues before it can be open sourced.
WiseWolf wrote:
Btw, I don't really use flash at all. The reason I mentioned this, is because, I don't trust it in its current form.
There's nothing to trust or not, given it has already been deprecated. The only reason to install it now is to play old Flash games and animations made with it that have no equivalent anymore (unlike what was promised with HTML5 when it was touted as a replacement). If you're not interested in old Flash content, you don't need it.
WiseWolf wrote:
Also, I thought adobe started making changes to shut down flash online regardless of the OS for the most part...
Yeah, the last version had a timer and would deactivate after the day they ended support. People who want to use it need to get the one before that (32.0.0.371)
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-05-30, 11:18

When we say 'Flash content' do we mean separate audio/video/interactive/game content within a website, or even entire websites too? I seem to remember there were (are?) entire websites made with Flash which I assume are not accessible at all now? Perhaps I've got it wrong.

Off-topic:
Moonraker wrote:
2022-05-29, 08:47
I have downloaded and stored approximately 100,000 swf flash files to be played either in the standalone player i have or within pale moon via the flash plugin.
That's going to take a while!

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2022-05-30, 12:45

Off-topic:
Just for posterity and ease of use plus it can all be played offline...no doubt there is more i can grab as i go along. :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-05-30, 23:37

back2themoon wrote:
2022-05-30, 11:18
entire websites too
Yes, those too. Sometimes you may find them on the internet archive but it's a matter of luck. Flash started as a way to provide vector animations and sound on the old web, later thanks to Youtube it only became known for being a video playback component. By the time HTML5 was popular, so were mobile phones - and the whole dumbed down 'simple' design philosophy. So modern websites are just mobile oriented and the days of cool animations and transitions with sound effects on webpages are long gone.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

WiseWolf

Unread post by WiseWolf » 2022-06-04, 08:56

moonbat wrote:
2022-05-30, 07:20
WiseWolf wrote:
ADOBE cannot open source the whole thing, even if they wanted to?
Modern proprietary software, especially complex ones like this, have all kinds of dependencies and licensed technologies. One can only speculate given it is closed source, but they may not own the entire IP and there would be bits that are licensed from others. Tobin had explained this in an earlier thread long ago. So it isn't entirely theirs to license, and not worth it for them to spend time and money untangling all the legal issues before it can be open sourced.
Hmm, interesting, had not realized that this has even happened before or that it was more than a rare event.

Btw, regarding flash, I wonder if it would even have been secure if it was ever open sourced or someone reverse engineered it completely.

I guess, I should ask it this way, though...

I am indeed, curious if the progamming language used to make adobe flash, is also insecure.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-06-04, 12:41

Being open source is not a guarantee for better security, but at the same time if Adobe were to open Flash today, there are still enough people interested in the technology that would work on it for free to fix as many holes as possible.

Also programming languages can't be insecure. What is insecure is their usage, which also includes the implementation of their "standard library".