Palemoon crashes on Bing.com

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Gor32

Palemoon crashes on Bing.com

Unread post by Gor32 » 2022-01-29, 05:40

Recently I had where PM will crash when I try to search using Bing.com unless I restart it in safemode. I have all ext/addons disabled. It appears the only thing going safemode does is disable the default profile (29.4.4). Then it works and I can search. My other browsers work fine, its just PM that causes problems.
Any suggestions? I love PM, but if I have to delete everything I may just end up using another browser instead. Trying to do captchas on PM seems hit or miss already.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon crashes on Bing.com

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-29, 08:58

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Gor32

Unread post by Gor32 » 2022-01-30, 00:12

Operating system: Win10 pro
Browser version: 21h2
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64bit
Problem URL: www.bing.com
Theme: default 29.4.4
Installed add-ons: ABPrime 3.1.7770, Expose Noisy Tabs 1.1.1, S3 Google Translator 5.35, Toggle JavaScript 1.2.2.010 -- All disabled.
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) Adobe Acrobat 21.11.20039.0, VLC Web plugin 3.0.3.0 -- All disabled.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 00:17

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2022-01-30, 00:27

I can confirm this. When I do a search, the browser closes and I get a message from one of my security products:
Screenshot 2022-01-29 190743.png
Screenshot 2022-01-29 190743.png (8.1 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
I'm supposed to receive this fly-out display when I open some applications, including Pale Moon. What the heading means though, I have no idea. Pale Moon even crashed when I opened a new tab, went to www.bing.com, and did nothing but close that tab; a few seconds later Pale Moon crashed.

I have no meaningful extensions, etc. I'm not asking for support, just adding info, so I won't be including console data, etc. If it means anything, nothing like this happens when I use Qwant, which relies primarily on Bing.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-30, 02:34

So configure your HitmanPro to not interfere with Pale Moon and contact the creators of that product if you want to know how to do that.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2022-01-30, 04:38

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-30, 02:34
So configure your HitmanPro to not interfere with Pale Moon and contact the creators of that product if you want to know how to do that.

The issue isn't HitmanPro.Alert; I've been using that and Pale Moon for years. But apparently there's something going on here HPA doesn't like/understand, although this situation isn't listed as an official 'alert' on the HPA control panel. I don't need to contact HPA; I'm not complaining about it, as I said, just adding a little more info to the picture.

I also tested Bing with UR browser, a Chrome variant--no problem at all.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-30, 05:09

Since at this point nothing else is known, try to whitelist Pale Moon in HPA. If the problem persists then you know it's probably something else.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 11:13

@Gor32 - are you also using Hitman Pro?
van p wrote:
2022-01-30, 04:38
The issue isn't HitmanPro.Alert
An how, pray tell, can you say this with such conviction? Any program that hooks into Pale Moon is by definition a potential point of failure. Have you analysed what exactly it does? have you analysed all interactions with Pale Moon code? Did you conclude this by testing all affected routines in Pale Moon that are interfered with?

Thousands of people use Bing daily on Pale Moon. I can't reproduce the problem myself, either, so the more compelling evidence points to that the issue -is- Hitman Pro, so the first thing you'd want to do is try to eliminate it as a point of failure by excluding it from your run-time environment in Pale Moon (i.e. exclude as moonbat suggested). Troubleshooting 101 there.
Also, if you want me to be able to analyse anything with a reproducible crash, at least show a crash report or even better provide a crash dump so i can see the call stack (or use the symbols to debug yourself if you feel you are able to)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 13:11

I've tried to reproduce in several environments and was actually able to get it to crash, too. It seems very much timing-dependent and intermittent (which might explain why running in safe mode and/or having external stuff hooked into the browser makes a difference). The main issue seems to be the bing.com home page itself which is extremely script-heavy and does a lot of js module juggling (not exactly a good choice for a search page IMHO).
I'm looking into this as best I can. specific crash reports, troubleshooting information etc and exact steps to reproduce would still be extremely helpful.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 14:39

As a temporary workaround, you can set dom.moduleScripts.enabled to false in about:config, or not use the bing.com search home page but instead using the search box set to Bing. Please note that a fair number of websites these days rely on JS module scripts to function properly so you would be sacrificing web compatibility with a number of sites to avoid this crash on Bing's home page.
It would also help to make a report to Microsoft that a recent change is causing this problem in your preferred browser.

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2022-01-30, 14:58

The shortest "clean" way I could find for both the latest Pale Moon and Basilisk (Windows 7 x64) is to start with an empty profile, dismiss the first startup prompts, open a new tab, type in bing.com, and click the Reload button once the page has fully loaded for the first time. This reload crash actually happens with any profile, although it sometimes takes more than one reload.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 16:09

Like I said it's intermittent and timing-dependent. As far as I can tell it's caused by rapid loading/unloading of JS modules -- the same thing seems to be causing performance issues on the same page (high CPU).

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2022-01-30, 18:17

The OP didn't mention HitmanPro and hasn't yet answered Moonchild's question. Again, I'm not asking for support, just trying to add to the evidence. Also, I don't use Bing (directly) and don't have a dog in the fight of whether it works in Pale Moon or not.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-30, 19:41

van p wrote:
2022-01-30, 18:17
The OP didn't mention HitmanPro and hasn't yet answered Moonchild's question. Again, I'm not asking for support, just trying to add to the evidence. Also, I don't use Bing (directly) and don't have a dog in the fight of whether it works in Pale Moon or not.
This isn't really relevant any more at this point. HMP clearly isn;t the issue but it being intermittent makes it difficult to reproduce/track.

Gor32

Unread post by Gor32 » 2022-01-31, 06:01

So I do not have Hitman.
My PC stays running just fine, only PM closes unexpectedly when on Bing.com.

I used Appcrasshview (normal user and admin) and got no results, even after PM closed/crashed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-31, 11:14

So you're getting a crash-to-desktop. OK; not really helpful but I think I have a fix for it that i'll have in the next major release. At least I've not been able to crash it again after applying it. Not something you can do though as it's a code change.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-01-31, 17:44

PM sometimes hangs and starts eating memory after opening/closing several Bing tabs. I was lucky to repeat the situation 2 times. It looks like the old problem concerning mutation observers. But I do not have time to explore more accurately...

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2022-01-31, 18:25

Not responding.
Tested in 29.4.3, 29.4.4.
Untitled2.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-31, 20:30

Please don't mix reports. A hang is not a crash.