"Save As" stopped working

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

"Save As" stopped working

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-01-09, 06:57

This is a really weird problem. I've been using the browser for years and haven't done anything recently.

Since yesterday if I try to right click on a image to save it locally, the library window says it "failed". I tried restarting but it still doesn't work. On a different browser there's no problem at all.

I have no problem downloading files from links, but if I try to download an image or a page with "Save Page As...", it always fails. I tried renaming, I tried different locations. It's really weird.

Any suggestion to troubleshoot this? I don't really want to use a different browser every time I want to save something.
rwthwth.jpg
tyjetyj.jpg

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: "Save As" stopped working

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-09, 18:00

It's working for me. I'd suspect an extension or config setting. Or something with OS. You could try safe mode as a start. Maybe a new profile.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-01-09, 18:16

I haven't changed anything in a while and this started a day ago, all at the sudden. The only extension is Ublock Origin that hasn't updated in months.

Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-01-09, 18:19

I've just tried safe mode and it works, but as soon as I go back the same problem comes up. Any way to troubleshoot this and find what's wrong?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-09, 19:47

uBlock Origin uses filters. Although I find it strange that it would affect all "Save As" function on all sites, it is possible that an update to your filter lists is causing this issue.
Try disabling uBlock Origin and see if that works any better. If it doesn't, try disabling the extension entirely. If that still doesn't work, try resetting your preferences to Pale Moon defaults:
  1. From the help menu, choose "Restart in Safe Mode"
  2. In the Safe Mode dialog, select "Reset all user preferences to Pale Moon defaults"
  3. Click "Make Changes and Restart"
Attachments
mcar1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

NeuroTik

Unread post by NeuroTik » 2022-01-09, 19:50

Same problem here which had me baffled for a bit.

Figured out Qblock Origin 1.14 something was causing the issue, i disabled it and downloads worked, i enabled it again and the download failed.

I backed up my Qblock Origin filter list as well as custom added filters and then deleted the 1.14 addon.

I updated Qblock Origin to 1.16.4.30 latest edition at:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases

This is the only addon i use - the only thing that has changed is that i updated Palemoon to the latest version.

But this did not fix my problem.

I then opened the logger and selected ALL to see everything it was doing and when i tried to download an image got the following blocked log message:

*$other,domain=~hey.com

Same thing with certain videos i was trying to download:

*$other,domain=~hey.com

Curious considering the domain the images/videos i was trying to download from had nothing to do with hey.com and hey.com seems to be some sort of mail service which i never use, hey.com also claims it doesn't track it users but clearly tracks other internet users elsewhere so believing it doesn't track it's own mail using users is ridiculous.

I'm also left wondering, is it these websites that are making these calls to hey.com or is it palemoon itself, i would assume it is the former and not the latter. The reason why i would bring it up because Qblock Origin is doing it in 'Behind-The-Scenes' area.

So i disabled the EasyPrivacy filter list, purged the caches, updated the filters and all seems to work now.

Could not be bothered with added domain hey.com to some sort of whitelist; don't know what it does and was in a moderate hurry. I've also set filter lists to only update when I specifically want them too, hopefully to prevent this sort of issue in the future.

Maybe this helps you, goodluck.

Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-01-09, 20:03

Yep, it looks like there's a problem with Ublock.

Simply turning the icon off doesn't solve the problem, but disabling the extension does. It's really weird.

It must be some kind of conflict with some filter. I don't think I have anything enabled outside the defaults, and images load properly anyway. So it's something that interacts in a strange way with Palemoon downloader...

And yes, it's EasyPrivacy. It's nothing to do with hey.com
It's "*$other" on its own.

I don't know if this is a bug of the filter itself, or if it triggers Palemoon especially and maybe works fine on other browsers.

I don't know if it's worth looking into if it's a browser problem, but disabling the EasyPrivacy filter is enough to fix it.
tyjtyj.jpg
tyjtyj.jpg (10.24 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
I've tried to add it again after purging the filters, the problem is back and now it is also showing hey.com in the logger.
(it's weird because I have the same filters on Chrome and no problems in that case...)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-01-09, 22:58

@Pfade:

I do not see your problem(s) with downloading images as described in your initial post:
Pfade wrote:Since yesterday if I try to right click on a image to save it locally, the library window says it "failed". I tried restarting but it still doesn't work. On a different browser there's no problem at all.

I have no problem downloading files from links, but if I try to download an image or a page with "Save Page As...", it always fails. I tried renaming, I tried different locations. It's really weird.
Quick Trial 1. I successfully downloaded your 'Wanted' poster image twice using my normal Pale Moon setup (has several Add-ons incl uBlock Origin, filters fully updated, and includes 'Easy Privacy' filter list + several CSS scripts).

Quick Trial 2. Repeat Trial 1. using a clean Pale Moon profile. Installed a new copy of uBlock Origin (.xpi version 1.16.4.30) on clean profile as the only change to out-of-the-box Pale Moon setup. Purged and updated all uBlock Origin's standard filter lists (which includes Easy Privacy).

Results. 4 successful downloads of the 'Wanted' image from the webpage you posted using the link extracted from your image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIdDw4daAAIarYC.jpg. 2 x downloads direct from the linked page itself (Right-click > "Save Image As...") and then 2 x downloads, as implied by your image in 1st post, using the 'Save As' button on Pale Moon's 'Page Info - Media' page (Right-click > View image Info > Save As...).

Consequently, suggest you have some other conflict or corruption in your setup? AFAICS no problems with Pale Moon, uBlock Origin, or the current Easy Privacy filter list. :)

PS. A couple of Howtos on starting a 'clean profile' and most things Re: using Pale Moon's Profile Manager:

Pfade
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Pfade » 2022-01-09, 23:21

Since it happened to another user and was isolated to a specific filter list, it's not possible it's some local corruption.

In any case, the download doesn't work in all cases. Not just a single picture. I can try any site, any image or saving any page. Only explicit downloads are working. Everything that goes through the "save as" right click menu gets blocked.

For example, if I try "save link as" by right clicking on one of those kb.mozillazine.org, this is what I get:
ergerg.jpg
...But as soon I go to Ublock options, remove EasyPrivacy and press "apply changes", everything goes back to normal.

Try this, I guess. Enable EasyPrivacy, apply changes (and press "update now" too, if the filter was off), and right click -> save link as on those mozilla links to see what happens.

It's either this or the download failing if you go look at the downloads tab. For images it looks like it's working, but if you open the tab it says it failed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-09, 23:50

I'd recommend to contact the easyprivacy maintainer(s) to see if you can figure out what's wrong. perhaps they made a mistake that blocks downloads like this by e.g. messing with referrers or "opener" navigation or what not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-10, 00:59

I use the EasyPrivacy filter and I can save images with no problem.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-01-10, 02:19

@Pfade
Please, before keeping people busy further on, start with a new profile as suggested.

"Save Page As..." works fine with Pale Moon and uBlock Origin/EasyPrivacy filter.

TheRobin
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by TheRobin » 2022-01-13, 18:14

I am having the same problem. Save link as does not work along with attempting to install any pale moon extensions (nothing happens when I click on an extension).

Either disabling UBlock Origin or disabling the EasyPrivacy filter was the only way to restore the correct behavior.

So I created a fresh profile, added Ublock Orign and enabled EasyPrivacy filter. Everything worked correctly.

So then I reverted to my main profile and did as Moonchild suggested. I restored all default preferences using safe mode reset. However, did this not solve the issue.

EDIT: Updated to reflect an error on my part where I thought the preference reset change the behavior of the error with EasyPrivacy. It remains the same as before the reset.

I am on Windows 7.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-14, 01:29

If you want to save extensions, they're already downloaded to your profile folder. Or you can install ExtExp and directly export them from your about:addons page.
The Install button on extension pages on the Pale Moon addons website is not a direct link to the XPI.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-01-14, 05:04

moonbat wrote:
2022-01-14, 01:29
The Install button on extension pages on the Pale Moon addons website is not a direct link to the XPI.
That's true. But APMO does still allow to download the .xpi with "save as", at least for now.

(And at other times, it was also possible to save the .xpi using WebInstall Ninja - see forum thread.)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-14, 05:06

Oh ok. I thought it was turned off or disabled. I remember JustOff's workaround.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

arkaland
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by arkaland » 2022-01-14, 20:54

:?: coffeebreak: what is APMO? I have been unable to upgrade Palemoon beyond v. 28.16.0 as I am on a 32-bit Linux system and simply CANNOT go 64-bit. Consequently, I can no longer upgrade ANY extension off the Add-Ons page (not even downgrade, if you can believe it). If APMO is another extension, I guess I'm doomed. So please explain what APMO is (or means). I would be very grateful for any help I can get. Thanks a lot.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-01-14, 21:30

arkaland wrote:
2022-01-14, 20:54
what is APMO?
It's the Pale Moon add-ons site (Phoebus), Addons.PaleMoon.Org

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-15, 01:49

Off-topic:
Back in the day, AMO was coined to refer to the Mozilla addons site, so this is to tell them apart.

RoestVrijStaal
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by RoestVrijStaal » 2022-01-19, 22:15

I'm experiencing this issue as well. So i've dug in the EasyPrivacy blacklist.

It turns out it's something in the https://github.com/easylist/easylist/bl ... ervers.txt part of EasyPrivacy.

The rest of the assembled list worked fine.

I didn't slim down on the commits of easyprivacy_trackingservers.txt (yet) to figure out which is the evil commit which breaks the Save-dialog and Get'emAll...