Adding bookmarks

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LuftWafflePilot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Adding bookmarks

Unread post by LuftWafflePilot » 2022-01-08, 15:31

I have recently realized you can only add a bookmark to the bookmarks menu OR the bookmarks toolbar, but not both. When I try to add it again to the other location, the first one gets deleted.
Is this by design and if yes (why?...), is there a workaround or a setting hidden somewhere?

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Adding bookmarks

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-01-08, 16:30

I never realized that (never needed it) and tended not to believe it.
I suppose it might depend to what is used as primary key into the bookmark database, wherever that is. I tried to add the same page (with "bookmark this page") to the bottom of the bookmark menu, and to a submenu of the bookmark toolbar (mine a quite complex with lots of folders) and yes, only the last survives.
I tried to change changing the Name in "bookmark this page" adding a "bis" (I often edit the name), in the case the name were the key, but no effect, so presumably the key is the URL.
However ... if you go to "Organize bookmarks", select a bookmark, issue the copy command, go to another place, and issue the paste command, then you have two copies in two places ! (never done that before, I often used drag and drop to move a bookmark since I have no reason to have two copies).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Adding bookmarks

Unread post by Blacklab » 2022-01-10, 15:13

AFAIAA there isn't a simple workaround allowing you to add a bookmark to BOTH the Bookmarks Menu AND the Bookmarks Toolbar at the same time.

As Lucio Chiappetti suggests above the easiest method of achieving copies of the same bookmark(s) and/or bookmark folder(s) on BOTH the Bookmarks Menu AND the Bookmarks Toolbar... is using good old 'Copy & Paste' in the Bookmarks Library window. Allows duplication of individual bookmarks, highlighted groups of bookmarks, and/or bookmark folders.

As to quite why... perhaps several different bookmarking ideas/designs got implemented during early Firefox 1-4 development? :think:

Others have asked and wondered about the apparent complexity and multiplicity of bookmarking buttons, menus, and options available:
All said, its very nice to have a variety of bookmarking options... personally I've always used the Bookmarks Menu dropdown... never the Bookmarks Toolbar or Sidebar... no doubt others choose different options. :)

--------------------

PS. A few Bookmark Menu & Bookmarking CSS scripts you might find useful... if interested to try any, installing via Lootyhoof's 'Stylem' Addon is recommended for general ease of use, testing, tweaking, on/off switches, etc:

1. This CSS script tidies-up/hides the Bookmark Menu options you may never use? :) In the script below only 'Bookmark This Page' has been retained in the dropdown menu.

(BTW - Script works as a local CSS replacement for most functions of very old 'BookmarkMenuHider' extension which died with update to Pale Moon 29.2.0)

Code: Select all

/* --- Hide Bookmark Button Menu Items --- */
/* --- CSS code by 'cor-el' in reply to Mozilla Support Q&A Sept 2011 --- */
/* --- From: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/877124 --- */

#BMB_viewBookmarksToolbar, #BMB_viewBookmarksToolbar+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksShowAll, #BMB_bookmarksShowAll+menuseparator,
/* #BMB_bookmarkThisPage, */
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenuitem,
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenupopup, #BMB_subscribeToPageMenupopup+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksToolbar, #BMB_bookmarksToolbar+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksPopup menuseparator[builder="end"],
#BMB_unsortedBookmarks 
{ 
  display:none!important; 
}
--------------------

2. This script lengthens the box when choosing the folder ('Choose...' option) to place a new bookmark in... aimed at those of us with far too many bookmarks in dozens of folders and 'nested' folders! Sigh:

/* --- Bookmarking - Lengthen 'Page Bookmarked' Pop-Up Box --- */
/* --- See more Bookmark Folders to choose from - CSS code by 'jscher 2000' Oct 2017 --- */
/* --- From: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3033734&p=14768707 --- */

#editBMPanel_folderTree {
  height: 450px !important;
  min-height: 450px !important;
}
--------------------

3. This script alters the maximum width of Bookmarks Menu nested folder lists (i.e. Bookmark Menu folders within folders)... so you can fit more nested bookmark folders spread out across a Pale Moon window on a laptop screen:

/* --- Change maximum width of Bookmarks Menu nested lists  - default is 26em --- */

menu.bookmark-item, menuitem.bookmark-item { 
  max-width: 25em !important;
}
(Note: The width term in 3rd script above is expressed using 'em' not the usual 'px'... see online discussions e.g: https://www.w3docs.com/snippets/css/which-is-better-to-use-in-css-px-em-or-rem.html)
PPS. Another very useful bookmarking modification available in Pale Moon is extending the number of 'Recently Bookmarked' websites displayed beyond the standard 'last 10' list provided as the default. Moonchild has added a 'hidden' integer Preference 'browser.places.smartBookmarks.max' that can easily be added to 'about:config'... and this then allows you to choose exactly how many 'Recently Bookmarked' items you want listed. Wonderful! :D :thumbup: See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23712&p=183490#p183490.

Moonchild's added 'hidden' Pref neatly avoids users having to struggle through learning all about the 'Smart Bookmarks' system, 'Places' and 'Places query URIs'... which are a decidedly complex subject! Hours of fun for your inner :geek: and :ugeek: perhaps?