DRM in Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

DRM in Pale Moon

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-01-02, 07:36

I did a search for "DRM" but a lot was about Basilisk and I found nothing that helped me.

ITV Hub needs DRM, unfortunately, but I can't find any way to enable it in PM. I tried Vivaldi but can't find the setting there, either.
Is there any way around this, please?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: DRM in Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-02, 12:00

Honestly surprised you have to ask this having been around for as long as you have.
https://www.palemoon.org/technical.shtml#features
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-01-04, 08:58

True - and thanks for the link.
I wondered if Basilisk would work, but that's 64-bit only and I'm on W7 Pro 32-bit.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-04, 11:07

Basilisk doesn't work either because the powers that be decided not to respond to requests for CDM licensing, as well as making sure to keep changing the EME/widevine API every time we caught up. Basically if you want in-browser DRM, then you have to use one of Google's products or sanctioned partners.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-01-05, 09:05

Google is a step too far!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-01-05, 11:52

@ Giraffe

Although I no longer use Windows 7, have you tried using windows Firefox for what you need?

There is a setting in Firefox under the General tab. Scroll on down to where it says: Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content. Right under that, there is a small box where it says, "Play DRM-controlled content" (Learn more). The box is either unchecked or checked.

I have linux Firefox as one of my backup browsers to Pale Moon and since I use linux Mint, the box in linux Firefox is "unchecked". Windows Firefox might be what you need since you're using Windows 7.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-05, 13:08

Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-05, 11:52
windows Firefox
Not needed for this, the enable DRM option is platform agnostic.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2022-01-07, 09:25

Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-05, 11:52
@ Giraffe

Although I no longer use Windows 7, have you tried using windows Firefox for what you need?

There is a setting in Firefox under the General tab. Scroll on down to where it says: Digital Rights Management (DRM) Content. Right under that, there is a small box where it says, "Play DRM-controlled content" (Learn more). The box is either unchecked or checked.

I have linux Firefox as one of my backup browsers to Pale Moon and since I use linux Mint, the box in linux Firefox is "unchecked". Windows Firefox might be what you need since you're using Windows 7.
Thanks for this. I have Firefox - the latest ESR - and DRM is on. Just get Refresh Page loop, so it can tell about DRM.
Vivaldi just locks up, takes all the RAM and I have to close the PC!
I'll look at another Chrome-type thing.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-01-07, 11:08

@ Giraffe

Just a shot in the dark; but in Waterfox, just like in Firefox under the same General tab, Waterfox has the same DRM setting. If you're going to try another Chrome type browser, maybe Waterfox might work.

Although Firefox and Waterfox seem almost alike, I've noticed when I'm using Waterfox, some things work in Waterfox whereas they don't in Firefox. If it was me, I'd give Waterfox a try. This is why I have Pale Moon, Firefox and Waterfox in my quiver of arrows when I'm using linux Mint.

Below is the link for the Waterfox downloads which includes Windows 7.

https://www.waterfox.net/download/

The only drawback, I don't know if Waterfox supports 32 bit Windows 7.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-01-07, 13:22

Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-07, 11:08
If Waterfox is based on Firefox which has no 32-bit support then it doesn't need a genius to answer your question. ;)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-01-07, 14:07

gepus wrote:
2022-01-07, 13:22
Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-07, 11:08
If Waterfox is based on Firefox which has no 32-bit support then it doesn't need a genius to answer your question. ;)
Sometimes even a genius gets it wrong. :twisted:

I decided to see if Firefox still has a 32 bit version and from the link below, it looks like it does.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a ... op-release

Once on the page, where it says; "Select your preferred installer", once the asterisk is clicked, Windows 32 bit is available. ;)

On the Waterfox link which I provided, the Windows 7 Setup.exe file is listed, but it doesn't say if the file is 32 or 64 bit. And I can't tell since I use a linux distro (Mint).

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-01-07, 14:53

Night Wing wrote:
2022-01-07, 14:07
Sometimes even a genius gets it wrong. :twisted:
Indeed. :D
However, Waterfox had never 32-bit support. Neither "Classic" since its first day nor the new one you are recommending.

Daikun
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Daikun » 2022-01-08, 01:04

Waterfox was designed to be a 64-bit version of FF since Mozilla mainly had it in the beta channels for years before finally making it public.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-08, 01:38

Did you know that Pale Moon had 64-bit versions way before Waterfox was a thing?
(Since 4.0.5, April 2011)

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-01-08, 08:14

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2022-01-08, 01:38
Did you know that Pale Moon had 64-bit versions way before Waterfox was a thing?
(Since 4.0.5, April 2011)
To be honest I didn't even know at that time about Pale Moon at all.
Mozilla's announcement that it will cripple its extension ecosystem was the last straw for me.
In search of a replacement I came across Pale Moon and Waterfox.