Basilisk vs Pale Moon for Video Streaming

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
nlangdon

Basilisk vs Pale Moon for Video Streaming

Unread post by nlangdon » 2022-01-01, 23:12

First off, I'm blown away that Flash actually works, I can now stream video from my DVR through my Hauppague Computer Works Broadway. I didn't know anything about Pale Moon but one of the Ruffle developers sent me a link to the (what I presume to be) older Basilisk broswer. It works perfectly for streaming with no issues. Today I found the link for the working Flash player and the latest Pale Moon Broswer and installed it on my Windows 10 Desktop and Laptop. I was disappointed that the video only streams for about 3 minutes then freezes. It then reverts back to the beginning of the same three minutes and will not play anything else. I've had to re-install the older Basilisk browser until I can figure out why this is happening. Obviously it's a cache issue, so I was wondering if anyone here had any advice?

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: Basilisk vs Pale Moon for Video Streaming

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-01-02, 02:54

If that's the problem, then use Basilisk. Get the newest version here: https://www.basilisk-browser.org/. Basilisk may have a better streaming support, although the DRM is broken right now.

Actually, you don't need to use old Flash Player (32.0.0.371 and below) to use it properly. You can download the latest version (32.0.0.465) and use FlashPatcher to remove timebomb (january 12 2021) and make flash usable again. It's great for security. The patcher may be detected as virus, as the program change some hex code in the Flash Player exe, (see the creator notes).
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

nlangdon

Unread post by nlangdon » 2022-01-02, 06:13

Ok, I thought that the two browsers were written by the same developer. I guess I'm a little confused. I like the Pale Moon browser better, just wish the cache thing worked. I'll have to check which version of Flash Player I installed. If you run that program it still won't work on Chrome or Firefox (right?) since those program block it. Just SO happy to be able to use the Broadway again.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2022-01-02, 12:09

nlangdon wrote:
2022-01-02, 06:13
Ok, I thought that the two browsers were written by the same developer. I guess I'm a little confused. I like the Pale Moon browser better, just wish the cache thing worked. I'll have to check which version of Flash Player I installed. If you run that program it still won't work on Chrome or Firefox (right?) since those program block it.
No, FF and Chrome don't support the interface for Flash Player (NPAPI) anymore. PPAPI-Flash has been included in Chrome and is removed since 2021.

They don't block it - they just don't have the interface to use it anymore.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-02, 22:39

Disil07 wrote:
2022-01-02, 02:54
If that's the problem, then use Basilisk. Get the newest version here: https://www.basilisk-browser.org/.
Basilisk is being retired and won't be updated in future unless someone else takes it over, so until that looks likely don't be recommending it to newbies.
nlangdon wrote:
2022-01-02, 06:13
I thought that the two browsers were written by the same developer
They are, but Basilisk is being retired.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX