Pale Moon & Netflix

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
55trucker
Moonbather
Moonbather

Pale Moon & Netflix

Unread post by 55trucker » 2021-12-29, 15:32

Hello: any Netflix experts on the board?

I've never made use of any sort of streaming service at all & I'm in uncharted waters.
My eldest son recently gave me access to his Netflix ultra account, for him this is like water off a duck as he has a *smart* TV, whereas my older Plasma is not *smart* capable.
I contacted a cust rep at netflix to inquire what browsers are supported by them & was told that Pale Moon is not one of them. Seeing as my op/sys doesn't make use of silverlight & that Microsoft has ceased support of the program ...HTML5 is required. question.....what is HTML5 & does it install as a plugin for the browser?..or does it install into the op/sys? Is anyone here making use of netflix thru their browser?

I was also informed by this rep that there is no way to receive the stream into ones op/sys via ones web browser & to transfer the video/audio out my HDMI graphics card up onto my 60" flatscreen & AVR. One has to have the *smart* tv where the tv is plugged into the internet port, & one has to send the audio then to the AVR. Trouble with that is Netflix doesn't seem to support multi channel audio unless one can receive Atmos into their smart tv & then send that signal to the AVR, the audio is only 2 ch stereo for all else.

Anyone shed some light on this?

thx

(if this IS in the wrong location feel free to put it where it should be)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon & Netflix

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-29, 15:43

As far as I know Netflix still supports the use of Silverlight to play back DRM protected content (correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't used it in a long while).
That means you can play back the video, make it full-screen and send it to an attached TV from the browser, if you have it set up as a monitor from your PC's graphics card through HDMI out.

"HTML5" has nothing to do with their streaming, but I'm not entirely surprised their own reps don't know what they offer or not offer and what is required.

If they no longer use Silverlight then you can't use Pale Moon any longer, because only Chrome and sanctioned partners are licensed and capable of playing back EME DRM-protected content.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2021-12-29, 21:07

I watch Netflix on Linux and Windows, and Netflix requires DRM, so your options are the big 2, Chrome or Firefox.

Also, I stream Netflix using Firefox on a desktop which is connected to a screen via HDMI cable.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

55trucker
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 55trucker » 2021-12-29, 23:14

Great....just what one needs...... 2 web browsers & 1 of them is for a single proprietary purpose.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-29, 23:15

55trucker wrote:
2021-12-29, 23:14
Great....just what one needs...... 2 web browsers & 1 of them is for a single proprietary purpose.
Welcome to 2020+
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

55trucker
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by 55trucker » 2021-12-29, 23:52

A little more discovered info on the subject, (where 4k is concerned) Firefox is apparently capped at a 720p res, there would be no provision for 1080p or 2160p ( this goes back to the DRM you mentioned earlier), & the tv/avr have to be hdcp 2.2 compliant, W10 is a must, & a 7th gen Intel core processor is required. If one doesn't have 4k ones audio is limited to stereo.

Geeeez, they're not making their package very attractive at all.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-30, 00:46

I run Linux and used to run Basilisk for DRM until Google broke support for it. Then held my nose and switched to Firefox, then dumped it for Waterfox Classic. Eventually that broke as well, and finally I bit the bullet and got a budget Android TV with vanilla Google Android. Netflix and Prime are easier to watch on a larger screen at 1080p, and a remote control with dedicated buttons for them.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

RMK99
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by RMK99 » 2021-12-30, 19:11

55trucker wrote:
Yep in 2021 you must have Edge Chromium/Chrome and Firefox.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-12-30, 21:23

We have Firefox on the media-center PCs connected to TVs solely for Netflix streaming purposes.
55trucker wrote:
It is an obnoxious situation, but...
Change the Firefox shortcut icon to something movie-themed, change the name of it to "Netflix Player" and pretend it is a Netflix streaming app.
That's what we do while holding our noses. ;)

wavymoon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wavymoon » 2022-01-03, 19:17

Maybe an Nvidia Shield or a cheap DVD player or tuner should be considered.