"Image sizes" results not working properly in Bing Image Search

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
joea64

"Image sizes" results not working properly in Bing Image Search

Unread post by joea64 » 2021-12-29, 13:04

When I run an image search via Bing on Pale Moon these past few weeks, I am running into a problem where the "image sizes" option is no longer working properly.

To be more precise, when you use Bing to search for images and click on a particular image, you are taken to a page displaying various options for that image such as related content, other pages where the image is located and various sizes of the image (each submenu accessible by clicking an appropriate button). All the options work correctly, except for "image sizes". Clicking on the results brought up by that button is supposed to open the clicked-upon image in full size in another tab, but that isn't working anymore.

Let me illustrate the problem. Suppose you're searching for a portrait of American stage star Lillian Russell (1861-1922), for example. You type her name into the Bing search bar, and Bing returns the results as shown in this link:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%2 ... BasicHover

You want to examine a certain image more closely, so you click that image and get the page shown:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

So far, so good. On this page, you see a display of other images similar to the one you're looking for under "Related content"; clicking on any image in that display works properly.

Above that display, you see three buttons labeled "Visit page" (in this case, doctormacro.com, where the original image is posted), "Pages" (which returns a list of other pages where that image, in various sizes, can be found), and "Image sizes". This last is the problem item.

Clicking the "Image sizes" button returns a list of different sizes of the picture, ranked in order of largest to smallest, with the site where the image is located under each thumbnail. What is supposed to happen is that when you click on a thumbnail, it will open the full-size image in a new tab. That isn't happening. In fact, nothing at all happens when the image is clicked, except for two small white lines popping up on the upper left and right sides of the thumbnail. Clicking on the site link under the thumbnail does take you to the site, but that's not what I want - I want the image.

I'm not sure exactly when this began happening, but I think it was sometime last month.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: "Image sizes" results not working properly in Bing Image Search

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-30, 00:22

Problems with busted websites should be reported in the web compatibility support board, this one is for problems with the browser itself.
joea64 wrote:
2021-12-29, 13:04
What is supposed to happen is that when you click on a thumbnail, it will open the full-size image in a new tab
When I click on one of the size results, it takes me to the webpage that has the image in question, not the image directly.
See that you're not blocking cookies or have not messed with the user agent, if not, try opening the page using a fresh profile (go to about:profiles and you can create a new one and switch to it from there. Keep a fresh profile without changing any settings for testing purposes so you will know if it's not working because of a configuration or extension on your end or is generally not working at all).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-12-30, 02:06

joea64 wrote:
What is supposed to happen is that when you click on a thumbnail, it will open the full-size image in a new tab. That isn't happening.
I have the same results as Moonbat. Opens a new tab of the page that contains the image. The only additional thing I would say is to check if you are running a script blocker. When I have a page that is partially non-functional, that is usually the problem. In this case, I am allowing all scripts and other elements from bing.com, with all non-bing scripts blocked. This is with eMatrix as the script blocker.

joea64

Unread post by joea64 » 2021-12-30, 09:04

Figueroa wrote:
2021-12-30, 02:06
joea64 wrote:
What is supposed to happen is that when you click on a thumbnail, it will open the full-size image in a new tab. That isn't happening.
I have the same results as Moonbat. Opens a new tab of the page that contains the image. The only additional thing I would say is to check if you are running a script blocker. When I have a page that is partially non-functional, that is usually the problem. In this case, I am allowing all scripts and other elements from bing.com, with all non-bing scripts blocked. This is with eMatrix as the script blocker.
As far as that goes, I use NoScript, and can confirm that all bing.com scripts are allowed through, I'm not seeing any non-Bing scripts on the specific image result page that comes up when I click on a thumbnail on the main image result page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-30, 09:36

joea64 wrote:
2021-12-30, 09:04
I use NoScript
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17619&p=129008&hil ... nt#p129008

It's a sticky post for a reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite