Copy history "Have I Visited This Site Prior to Today? Yes xyz times" from one computer to another

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
dolphin
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Copy history "Have I Visited This Site Prior to Today? Yes xyz times" from one computer to another

Unread post by dolphin » 2021-12-03, 23:04

I'm setting up a new computer, and would like to start as fresh as possible, but would like to have the history and More Info -> Have I Visited This Site Prior to Today? Yes 123 Times" transferred from my existing computer to the new computer.

Is there an individual file or files I can transfer over to copy only this history / history count over to the new computer?

Many thanks.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Copy history "Have I Visited This Site Prior to Today? Yes xyz times" from one computer to another

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-04, 04:20

Not to my knowledge.
History (all of it) is stored in the places.sqlite file in your browser profile, along with your bookmarks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Copy history "Have I Visited This Site Prior to Today? Yes xyz times" from one computer to another

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-04, 07:44

If you want to transfer over your data from an old to a new computer, make a profile backup (e.g. with the profile backup tool) and restore it on the new computer.
Note: this only works if you do not change operating system from Windows to Linux or v.v.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-04, 09:56

The easiest way to copy your data is simply to backup the entire profile directory after exiting from Pale Moon (found under ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/ on Linux and <your user directory>\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\ on Windows). Simply copy the directory (it will have a randomized name) to the equivalent location on your new computer and edit the profiles.ini file found in the same location (or copy it over as well from your old PC).
Here's a sample, assuming there is only one profile. If you have multiple profiles, they will be named Profile1, 2 and so on. Only one can be default at a time, so pick the one that has Default=1. Edit the profiles.ini on the new PC to correctly reflect the path and whether it is default -

Code: Select all

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
Name=PMProfile
IsRelative=1
Path=profiledirectoryname/
Default=1
Doing it this way will change absolutely nothing - you will have your entire profile complete with history, bookmarks, settings and extensions exactly as they were.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-12-05, 02:01

The extension FEBE will let you backup and restore parts of your profile, including browser history. The extension is available here: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/febe/.

Unfortunately, FEBE is no longer maintained and will not work with the current version of Pale Moon, unless you tweak it. Instructions for fixing the extension were posted by astewart in the Zoom thread: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27261&start=20#p219618.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-12-05, 12:52

All the times I got a new machine (all Linux), I made a tar of ~/.moonchild\ productions/pale\ moon/??????.default and moved it to the new machine. I got 99% of my environment (some View-Toolbar-Customize features had to be reset manually).
(I also had to to copy the plugins in ~/.mozilla/plugins/ since they reside outside of the Pale Moon path).
Personally not much concerned of visited site history (I clear that and cookies when I close the browser), but of bookmarks, form history and extensions.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

dolphin
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by dolphin » 2021-12-07, 07:02

Thanks very much to all for the replies and giving me the couple best ways to most easily get what I'm after.
Much appreciated! Thanks!