Installed update - all page elements are smaller and zoom in or out buttons have NO EFFECT.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
PhotoBoothe

Installed update - all page elements are smaller and zoom in or out buttons have NO EFFECT.

Unread post by PhotoBoothe » 2021-11-10, 21:37

I allowed Pale Moon to update today to 29.4.2. Now font size and other page elements appear significantly smaller and the zoom (in or out) buttons have NO EFFECT. Will this be fixed or can I roll back the update?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Installed update - all page elements are smaller and zoom in or out buttons have NO EFFECT.

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-11-10, 22:00

The zoom buttons, holding down the Control (CTRL) key with one finger on my left hand and pressing the plus sign (+) key with one finger on my right hand enlarges any page for me as well as the minus sign (-) key making the page smaller in size.............also works for me.

I'm guessing, since no one else has raised this issue, the problem is on your end and not with Pale Moon.

And it would be nice to list your operating system as well as any extensions you are using. And don't forget any customizations you have implemented within the browser.

BTW, I do not use the NoSquint extension any longer.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Installed update - all page elements are smaller and zoom in or out buttons have NO EFFECT.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-10, 22:10

NoSquint user? Search the forum
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-11-10, 22:13

Almost forgot.

The Zoom buttons under View (Zoom In, Zoom Out) in my Menu Bar also work for me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-11-11, 20:52

I was a longtime user of NoSquint [with poor eyesight, he said almost redundantly], and I figured out pretty quickly that NoSquint had stopped working when Pale Moon updated to 29.4.2. I followed the tips in Pale Moon's forums and seem to have gotten built-in site-specific zooming working okay. Curiously, what I miss most about NoSquint is site-specific colors for visited links!

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-11-11, 22:17

PhotoBoothe wrote:
2021-11-10, 21:37
I allowed Pale Moon to update today to 29.4.2. Now font size and other page elements appear significantly smaller and the zoom (in or out) buttons have NO EFFECT. Will this be fixed or can I roll back the update?
Do the keyboard shortcuts for changing the zoom no longer work? For me, Cmd-+ and Cmd-- work. For Windows and Linux those would be Ctrl-+ and Ctrl--. If the fonts are now always too small, you can set a minimum font size.

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-12, 16:14

I can use ctrl++ to zoom in but have to do it for each different website.

Can PM just add a global zoom setting?

PhotoBoothe

Unread post by PhotoBoothe » 2021-11-12, 23:50

Thank you all... Good guess, yes, NoSquint was one of my add ons. Disabling NoSquint allowed the menu bar zoom buttons to work again, and those are the zoom buttons I was referring to. Apparently NoSquint didn't cause a prob (for me) until 29.4.2. I have now accepted the update to 29.4.2.1, and still have NoSquint disabled, but I will note that I seem to have to "re-zoom" all of my tabs again each time after re-opening the browser or revisiting the same sites, which I did NOT have to do previously...
BTW, my active extensions are Copy as Plain Text, Downloads Window, Exif Viewer, Pale Moon Commander, Paste E-mail Plus, Tab Mix Plus, YouTubeNonStop, Zap Anything are my active extensions. Noia Moon Commander is also an active extension though I am currently using the Moonola theme. (Jeesh, listing all the add ons would be easier if my typing was better... :P ) My OS is Windows 10.
If NoSquint's compatibility with the current updates is the only issue, that doesn't explain why I am now having to re-zoom every time I visit a page, which was not previously the case.
Thumbs up to Iczlz on the global zoom setting idea.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-13, 00:04

PhotoBoothe wrote:
2021-11-12, 23:50
... but I will note that I seem to have to "re-zoom" all of my tabs again each time after re-opening the browser or revisiting the same sites, which I did NOT have to do previously...
You need to change an about:config setting. Read this post: How to use Pale Moon's internal zoom manager and controls

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-13, 03:45

PhotoBoothe wrote:
If NoSquint's compatibility with the current updates is the only issue, that doesn't explain why...
It really IS the issue.
Please read through this thread (ALL of it - it's the thread that includes back2themoon's post), where the problems with NoSquint have been exhaustively discussed.

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-13, 17:15

back2themoon wrote:
2021-11-13, 00:04
PhotoBoothe wrote:
... but I will note that I seem to have to "re-zoom" all of my tabs again each time after re-opening the browser or revisiting the same sites, which I did NOT have to do previously...
You need to change an about:config setting. Read this post: How to use Pale Moon's internal zoom manager and controls

I changed the configuration as in that post. The thing is if there is no default zoom level, whenever I got to a website that I haven't been there after no squint is not useful, I have to manually change the zoom level and that's not convenient.
That's why I ask for a default zoom level feature in PM.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-11-13, 18:42

lczlcz wrote:
2021-11-13, 17:15
The thing is if there is no default zoom level, whenever I got to a website that I haven't been there after no squint is not useful, I have to manually change the zoom level and that's not convenient.
See Please read before suggesting core features.
(in particular, point 1)

While it's true that the native zoom controls are less fine-grained than NoSquint, they do work fine - just not in the way that you want. Not everyone needs or wants a default zoom adjustment.

If you feel that you must have NoSquint's specific features, you can patch your personal copy of that extension for yourself by following the instructions in astewart's two posts, here and here.
(They're on page2 of the "Zoom" thread. You'll need to read carefully, but will not need to understand JavaScript/coding).

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-14, 17:21

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-11-13, 18:42
lczlcz wrote:
2021-11-13, 17:15
The thing is if there is no default zoom level, whenever I got to a website that I haven't been there after no squint is not useful, I have to manually change the zoom level and that's not convenient.
See Please read before suggesting core features.
(in particular, point 1)

While it's true that the native zoom controls are less fine-grained than NoSquint, they do work fine - just not in the way that you want. Not everyone needs or wants a default zoom adjustment.

If you feel that you must have NoSquint's specific features, you can patch your personal copy of that extension for yourself by following the instructions in astewart's two posts, here and here.
(They're on page2 of the "Zoom" thread. You'll need to read carefully, but will not need to understand JavaScript/coding).
Well, name any other browsers that do NOT have default zoom level set up function. With 4K resolution becoming a norm, most of, if not all, other browsers have this function.
I don't mind forking an old addon. I am actually trying to find where I can download an old addon called zoom page so that I can fork it. From what I read from several threads, the issue of NoSquint is it used an obsolete function FUEL, which is deleted in PM. I am not sure how much I can do with NoSquint.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2021-11-14, 18:31

lczlcz wrote:
2021-11-14, 17:21
I am actually trying to find where I can download an old addon called zoom page so that I can fork it. From what I read from several threads, the issue of NoSquint is it used an obsolete function FUEL, which is deleted in PM. I am not sure how much I can do with NoSquint.
Zoom Page can be found in the Classic Add-ons Archive. I don't know whether it can be forked.

NoSquint seems to be an "easy" fix, as indicated by astewart's posts here.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-11-14, 18:48

lczlcz wrote:I am actually trying to find where I can download an old addon called zoom page so that I can fork it.
Use Wayback Machine (WBM) e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/20151118230 ... zoom-page/ to see the versions of 'Zoom Page' Addon still available from WBM's 350 different 'captures' and saved snapshots of that particular Mozilla Firefox Add-ons webpage.

The attachment Page Zoom on Wayback Machine - 18Nov15.jpg is no longer available

To obtain a copy of the Addon's .xpi file right-click on the green 'Add to Firefox' button and download via 'Save Link As...' most of the WBM snapshots also have a copy of the Page Zoom.xpi file saved... and some snapshots will let you click further into Zoom Page's 'Version Information' (scroll right to the bottom of the Zoom Page info to find that link)... and from there you can often open Zoom Page's 'See complete version history' link... which may still be live on WBM too...

The Zoom Page Version History lists of all Zoom Page's many dozens of versions (46 up to that WBM snapshot in Nov 2015!) e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/20151107233 ... /versions/... but be aware that WBM may have moved you to a direct snapshot of the 'Zoom Pages/Versions' Addons page taken on a different date than the one you originally selected. :)

BTW - The same Add-on developer 'DW-dev' has a support email link on his 'Zoom Page WE' page for current Firefox.
Attachments
Page Zoom on Wayback Machine - 18Nov15.jpg

lczlcz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by lczlcz » 2021-11-15, 14:55

Blacklab wrote:
2021-11-14, 18:48
lczlcz wrote:I am actually trying to find where I can download an old addon called zoom page so that I can fork it.
Use Wayback Machine (WBM) e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/20151118230 ... zoom-page/ to see the versions of 'Zoom Page' Addon still available from WBM's 350 different 'captures' and saved snapshots of that particular Mozilla Firefox Add-ons webpage.

Page Zoom on Wayback Machine - 18Nov15.jpg

To obtain a copy of the Addon's .xpi file right-click on the green 'Add to Firefox' button and download via 'Save Link As...' most of the WBM snapshots also have a copy of the Page Zoom.xpi file saved... and some snapshots will let you click further into Zoom Page's 'Version Information' (scroll right to the bottom of the Zoom Page info to find that link)... and from there you can often open Zoom Page's 'See complete version history' link... which may still be live on WBM too...

The Zoom Page Version History lists of all Zoom Page's many dozens of versions (46 up to that WBM snapshot in Nov 2015!) e.g. https://web.archive.org/web/20151107233 ... /versions/... but be aware that WBM may have moved you to a direct snapshot of the 'Zoom Pages/Versions' Addons page taken on a different date than the one you originally selected. :)

BTW - The same Add-on developer 'DW-dev' has a support email link on his 'Zoom Page WE' page for current Firefox.
thanks to two IDs above. I downloaded it and made it work in PM now.