unresponsive layer over certain web pages preventing access

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
andy08003
Moongazer
Moongazer

unresponsive layer over certain web pages preventing access

Unread post by andy08003 » 2021-11-04, 16:14

Hi all

This is an issue that occurs from time to time in Palemoon.

When I arrive at a website for the first time, a popup layer appears and it is unresponsive to input. Usually the popup is a cookie notification, sometimes some type of promotional message inviting me to join a newsletter.

This is what I mean:
https://journals.lww.com/corneajrnl/ful ... _a.26.aspx#

In the above example, the popup layer is annoying but it is small so I can still access the page behind and scroll down to read the article.

Other times, the popup layer takes up the whole window so it effectively blocks my access to the site.

In all cases, the popup is responsive when I try in Chrome.

Why does this happen? How can I make it not happen?

Thanks

Andy

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: unresponsive layer over certain web pages preventing access

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-11-04, 16:28

In the example given I do not see any popup, but just a small "navigation header" which appears as soon as I scroll down a bit (but looks useful).
However I have an ad blocker (ABL) ... ah (edit) I have also an IDCAC filter within ABL
Last edited by Lucio Chiappetti on 2021-11-04, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

andy08003
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andy08003 » 2021-11-04, 16:30

That's odd. I see a cookie message in a horizontal black band at the bottom and however much I click on "Got it, Thanks", nothing happens.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-04, 16:33

Wrong board.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-11-04, 21:03

Contact lww.com and tell them their "cookie consent" thing isn't working. Like many sites they probably just plugged in some random drop-in lib that has only been tested against Chrome. They should choose another solution or inform themselves how not to annoy the hell out of every visit with explicit consent popups (it's not even legally required if they aren't actually profiling visitors and selling that data).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-11-04, 21:24

Hi Andy,

Quick repeatability trial here. :) Tried opening your suggested link: https://journals.lww.com/corneajrnl/ful ... _a.26.aspx in both my normal 'default' profile (with addons, scripts, etc.) and a clean 'test' profile (Pale Moon 29.4.1 out-of-the-box)... the page loaded... and the 'Got it, Thanks!' cookie accept button on the overlay layer worked as expected.

Only point of note was that the page was a bit 'sticky' a couple of times on my default profile... wouldn't open... needed to refresh/reload... or open same link in a second tab... then it opened. Not sure why... possibly dislikes my uBlock Origin filters...and AFAICS that page is loading an armful of Ads and scripts.

Before on 'Default' profile with 'Accept Cookie' banner.png
Before with 'Accept Cookie' banner... on 'Default' profile

After on clean 'Test' profile.jpg
After clicking 'Got it, Thanks!' button... on clean 'Test' profile

PS. Re: subject of suggested link page... I had severe conjunctivitis as a teenager a long time ago... I got steroid injections into eyeball as well as topical treatment... positively medieval... head in a vice... needle approaching out of the corner of your eye. :shock:

Figueroa
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Figueroa » 2021-11-04, 23:41

I checked the listed page and at first did not see the overlay. I had the extension "I don't care about cookies" enabled, and that thing blocks all those pesky cookies dialogues. After disabling the extension and reloading the page, the overlay did appear, but I had no problem dismissing it. I highly recommend the extension.

andy08003
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andy08003 » 2021-11-05, 07:39

Thanks all for suggestions and info.

I'll add the I don't care about cookies extension - here in Europe I get a cookie message on every new site I visit - real PITA!

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-11-05, 11:00

I agree with you that those cookie messages are a pain (and since I purge cookies asap, at worst at end of session, I'd get those not only for new sites.
You should be aware that there are two ways to ignore them, one is IDCAC as extension, and another is and IDCAC filter within an ad blocker like ABL. I use the second because otherwise some sites may not work (I haven't checked if it still the case, but it did occur with the Trenitalia site, national railways here, if you had the IDCAC extension, all the forms for buying tickets were inactive).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

andy08003
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by andy08003 » 2021-11-05, 13:33

Grazie mille for further clarifications. I do have ABL so I'll try the filter.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2021-11-06, 08:51

Dismiss the Overlay seems to work on most sites.
https://github.com/JustOff/dismiss-the-overlay

There are others.
caa:list?q=overlay
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-06, 17:27

Why are you recommending abandoned old and insecure extensions targeting an application other than Pale Moon to a Pale Moon user who can't even install them?