On converting extension addon to palemoon format

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

On converting extension addon to palemoon format

Unread post by Lassar » 2021-10-18, 02:10

Was testing linux pale moon using 4 tabs of my windows tabs.

Think you mentioned how to convert the extensions so the newer version of pale
moon could be used.

Was thinking you have mentioned a git hub page, but my memory is fuzzy on this.

Febe selective backup is not working on this.

Checked out their forum, but I think they are not taking registrations.

Will appreciate any help you give me.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: On converting extension addon to palemoon format

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-18, 05:34

Lassar wrote:
2021-10-18, 02:10
Febe
FEBE became broken when support was removed for FUEL - see this post.
Later in the same thread, forum member astewart posted here and here on how he got FEBE working again.

You might also read this thread: FEBE not working in last unstable version.

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2021-10-18, 09:21

Is any one working to fix this?

Or is there any tool to fix this automatically?

The weird thing is in linux it will work, but if I bring over 4 tabs from my windows, then
it won't work.

Am using 29.1.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-18, 09:27

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-18, 14:01

Lassar wrote:
2021-10-18, 09:21
is there any tool to fix this automatically?
No, there is not.

To work properly, FEBE will need to be rewritten to not rely on the deprecated FUEL.
This means, since the original author has retired, that some volunteer (not the browser devs) would need to fork and maintain FEBE.

Barring that, you would need to do your own edits to get your own copy working again.

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2021-10-18, 16:42

Seeing that I don't know anything about developing extensions, and fuel.

Have read that the fuel problem is trick to fix.

Will simply present my must have extensions.

Hopefully someone can get these to work.

User Agent Switcher
Tab Overflow Scrollbar:http://www.franklion.co.uk/TOS3.html
SettingSanity
InFormEnter
FEBE
Autofill Forms
Always Remember Password
Suspend Tab
JS Switch
deduplicate-tabs
Last edited by Lassar on 2021-10-18, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-18, 18:40

Well if you haven't learned anything here for since 2014 you aren't gonna learn anything now.. So why bother?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-19, 15:31

Lassar wrote:
2021-10-18, 16:42
Have read that the fuel problem is trick to fix.

Will simply present my must have extensions.

Hopefully someone can get these to work...
AFAIK from what others have posted elsewhere, FUEL doesn't affect the other ones on your list.
Among your list items, it only affects FEBE.

Your other extensions are, or will be, affected by other changes, some current, some in the future
(see 1, 2, and 3 starting from "Let me lay out what is coming next...").

You do already seem aware of this, since you already posted your fork-request list once before.

Hopefully for you, someone will choose to fork/maintain your preferred extensions (but not the browser devs - it's not within the scope of browser support). If you have further questions / comments concerning extensions, please post them in the Add-ons board.

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2022-04-14, 19:56

Is there any tricks I can get palemoon to work with v29.4.6?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-15, 05:34

Lassar wrote:
2022-04-14, 19:56
get palemoon to work with v29.4.6?
Are you asking how to get Pale Moon add-ons to work with Pale Moon 29.4.6 ?

Replace any extension marked with "-fxguid" with a PM 29.*-compatible one from APMO.
See the last post in this thread.

Lassar, in future please post anything related to add-ons in the forum's Add-ons board, not here.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2022-04-15, 21:47

coffeebreak wrote:
2022-04-15, 05:34
Lassar wrote:
2022-04-14, 19:56
get palemoon to work with v29.4.6?
Are you asking how to get Pale Moon add-ons to work with Pale Moon 29.4.6 ?

Replace any extension marked with "-fxguid" with a PM 29.*-compatible one from APMO.
See the last post in this thread.
That does not help with User Agent Switcher. I already modified the setup in install.rdf, but that extension simply does not change the user-agent any more. I can still read the user-agents, so it still works as a reference. (It also still works fine with SeaMonkey.)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-04-15, 21:57

Goodydino wrote:
2022-04-15, 21:47
That does not help with User Agent Switcher. I already modified the setup in install.rdf, but that extension simply does not change the user-agent any more. I can still read the user-agents, so it still works as a reference. (It also still works fine with SeaMonkey.)
Off-topic:
Probably because Pale Moon doesn't handle user agents the way the extension expects, given that said extension is very old.
If you need to change the user agent for a site use sasuga or permission plus from the add-on site.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-04-16, 08:56

Goodydino wrote:
User Agent Switcher.
Don't fiddle with the user agent, it does nothing for privacy or anonymity (a non standard UA will simply stick out like a sore thumb among the dozens of identical Chrome based ones) and it will screw with website detection, leading to anything from broken sites to warnings about old browsers to straight out blocking you from access because they think your browser is incompatible.
Pale Moon supports separate overrides for user agents per site for the sake of compatibility, that you can set using the extensions PermissionsPlus and Sasuga.
Lastly, Pale Moon identifies itself as Firefox in the global user-agent by default (that can be changed from Preferences, Advanced tab, Compatibility section) but again it causes more trouble than it's worth to change it.

If it's privacy/anonymity you're looking for, a decently configured adblocker can simply block tracking and ad scripts.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2022-04-16, 16:06

Goodydino wrote:
That does not help with User Agent Switcher. I already modified the setup in install.rdf, but that extension simply does not change the user-agent any more.
The advice given to the OP specifically concerned extensions that stopped working recently for people who rolled back from PM 30.* to PM 29.* (Lassar didn't give much info, but I assumed that's what his last question was about).

Off-topic:
"User Agent Switcher" is a different kettle of fish...

As vannilla alluded, the preference used to change the browser's global user agent was changed with release of Pale Moon 28.17 about a year-and-a-half ago. Any existing XUL extension for changing the global user agent, if written before the pref was changed (afaik, all of them) will no longer work in Goanna browsers unless the extension's maintainer modifies the extension to use the newer preference. This was intended, and AFAIU was a main reason for changing the preference:
Release Notes wrote:
v28.17.0 (2020-12-18)
  • Moved the global user-agent override to the networking component. See implementation notes.
Implementation notes:
  • The global user-agent override was moved to the networking component where it is actually implemented. The new preference name is network.http.useragent.global_override. Please note that using a blanket override is normally (very) counterproductive and does not, in fact, help much with privacy. It would also override the compatibility modes (Native/Gecko/Firefox) in Pale Moon. As such, the browser will now warn you if the user-agent is globally overridden (in preferences) and allow you to easily reset that override and re-enable the various compatibility modes.
People may wish to read through this thread, where the relationship between global and site-specific UA overrides is discussed, and people's opinions, and the thinking leading to the pref change are put on view.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2022-04-16, 20:15

vannilla wrote:
2022-04-15, 21:57
Goodydino wrote:
Off-topic:
Probably because Pale Moon doesn't handle user agents the way the extension expects, given that said extension is very old.
If you need to change the user agent for a site use sasuga or permission plus from the add-on site.
I am using site-specific overrides. I was using User Agent Switcher to experiment with changing a user-agent to see if that was the problem I was having with a certain web page, or if it was lack of cookies or something else. Some sites were using javascript to dig out information about the navigator elements to see if the user-agent in the request header was genuine or a fake. User Agent Switcher can change both so the fake looks more realistic. These days, that usually does not seem to be needed.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-04-17, 06:34

Goodydino wrote:
2022-04-16, 20:15
I was using User Agent Switcher to experiment with changing a user-agent to see if that was the problem I was having with a certain web page, or if it was lack of cookies or something else. Some sites were using javascript to dig out information about the navigator elements to see if the user-agent in the request header was genuine or a fake.
No need to fake your OS therefore.
It's your operating system which can be detected via JavaScript (OS CPU).