how to hide a custom toolbar by default ?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

how to hide a custom toolbar by default ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-10-16, 14:36

I created an auxiliary toolbar, located between the navigation toolbar and the bookmarks toolbar. I keep there a few buttons created by some extensions, to avoid cluttering the navigation toolbar.
I like to keep such auxiliary toolbar normally hidden (use View->Toolbars to show it).
However when I first fire Pale Moon, the auxiliary toolbar is visible. Is there a way to define it hidden by default ?

In about:config there are no properties of __customToolbar_auxiliary_bar, although it is mentioned in the value field of some extension preferences.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: how to hide a custom toolbar by default ?

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-10-16, 22:47

Lucio wrote:I like to keep such auxiliary toolbar normally hidden (use View->Toolbars to show it).
However when I first fire Pale Moon, the auxiliary toolbar is visible. Is there a way to define it hidden by default ?
At first I thought your problem might be a minor regression in Pale Moon code... as I do not think what you describe should happen.

Expected browser behaviour: If name of your 'Added New Toolbar' is not selected (no 'tick') in the drop-down menu (opened via 'View > Toolbars' or 'Right-click any blank space on Tab Bar, Menu Bar, or Status Bar')... then your Added New Toolbar should remain hidden on browser restart... exactly as do the standard toolbar options in same drop-down menu.

Trial using Pale Moon 29.4.1: Confirms 'Add New Toolbar' feature is working correctly... i.e. if name of the 'Added New Toolbar' is not selected in drop-down menu... then new toolbar remains hidden on browser restart... as per expected behaviour. :thumbup:

Conclusion: Probable you have a conflict within your set-up... from an Addon, an added toolbar button, or a CSS script perhaps?

---------------------------

PS. How-to reminder for using 'Add New Toolbar' option:

Add: Open 'Customize' window > select 'Add New Toolbar' button > name new toolbar in pop-up box, click 'ok' > then must add at least one item/button from either Customise window selection or from an existing toolbar to make your Added New Toolbar 'stick' on closing Customize window. (Note: Check your existing toolbar items/buttons have not moved before closing Customize window.)

Remove: Reverse procedure... open 'Customize' window... remove all items/buttons from the Added New Toolbar... close Customize window... and the Added New Toolbar disappears. :)

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: how to hide a custom toolbar by default ?

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-10-17, 15:41

Blacklab wrote:
2021-10-16, 22:47
Trial using Pale Moon 29.4.1: Confirms 'Add New Toolbar' feature is working correctly... i.e. if name of the 'Added New Toolbar' is not selected in drop-down menu... then new toolbar remains hidden on browser restart... as per expected behaviour. :thumbup:

Conclusion: Probable you have a conflict within your set-up... from an Addon, an added toolbar button, or a CSS script perhaps?
Followed your procedure in the reminder, also on 29.4.1, reversed. I.e.dragging all buttons from old added toolbar to customize window, the added toolbar disappears (as expected). Create a new toolbar and redrag buttons into it, it is created (visible). Then untick it so it is not visible, disappears. Close browser and restarts, it appears again (contrary to your expectations).

All buttons in the auxiliary added toolbar are relevant to seldom used extensions ... I suppose that means the extensions themselves are forcing the visibility. Pity.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)