Illegible text & input field colors. Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MacLightning

Illegible text & input field colors.

Unread post by MacLightning » 2021-10-16, 13:39

I have been using Pale Moon for quite a while and loving its traditional UI, however there are several small problems.

The following is while using MicroMoon theme.
Screenshot_2021-10-16_20-12-06.png
As you can see (or not in this case), the text in URL bar is white, which results in complete illegibility, as well as tabs not having visible separation.
Screenshot_2021-10-16_20-22-29.png
Screenshot_2021-10-16_20-22-29.png (1.29 KiB) Viewed 455 times

And this is default theme.
Screenshot_2021-10-16_20-30-52.png
Screenshot_2021-10-16_20-31-42.png
Screenshot_2021-10-16_20-31-42.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 455 times

Text drop-down is also affected in both cases, both in the UI search bar as shown above and on various webpages.

I'm also using XFCE and a custom theme and fully aware this is a system theming issue rather than a bug within Pale Moon, but is there perhaps some lines in about:config I can manually tweak? Or alternatively, can anyone point me to the right line(s) of code within XFCE theme config files to rectify these problems?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Illegible text & input field colors.

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-10-16, 23:06

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 29.4.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20.2 (Uma) Xfce. I'm also using the Micro Moon v1.10.2 theme.

With the Micro Moon theme, all my text are black letters in the white URL bar. I have no problems with the tabs either

In the default theme which comes with Pale Moon, the above is also the same. The problem is on your end some place.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-10-16, 23:18

Well, yes, he did write
fully aware this is a system theming issue rather than a bug within Pale Moon
I think a possible solution is to somehow exempt Pale Moon from the system theme, as that would fix the issue and at the same time avoid conflicts with the browser's theme colors, but I don't know if that is possible.

MacLightning

Unread post by MacLightning » 2021-10-27, 11:33

After a bit of diving into XFCE settings I have found the culprit. Using terminal, the value printed out by

Code: Select all

$ xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/KeyThemeName -v
did not match with whatever current theme I was using. To rectify the problem I simply set the value to match exactly the name of current theme (case-sensitive):

Code: Select all

$ xfconf-query -c xsettings -p /Gtk/KeyThemeName -s [CurrentThemeNameHere]
Bit of ignorance on my part but thanks to everyone who took time to reply :)