selective (by folder) bookmark export/import Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

selective (by folder) bookmark export/import

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-10-14, 11:48

Is it possible to (export and) import una tantum (not a permanent sync) one or more bookmark folders from one machine to another ? Either in core PaleMoon or using an add-on ?

I have finally set up a desktop at home (machine C). I imported into it all my bookmarks from the office desktop (machine A), and now they will diverge freely.
But I have also saved (exported) into a bookmarks.html also the bookmarks of the abandoned laptop (machine B) I was previously using at home. That was also originally a clone of the office bookmarks arrangement.

My arrangement is to have both the bookmark menu and the bookmarks toolbar arranged in a number of folders. The B bookmarks toolbar had one more folder (tagged "work area") where I put all interesting bookmarks of the interim period where I was using the laptop, I would be interested in importing only the work area folder to machine C without overwriting the rest of the bookmarks. Then I will move (most likely drag and drop) into a final location those bookmarks I'm still interested in.

Of course I know as last resort I could open file://bookmarks.html, go to each page and manually re-bookmark it where I want. But a tool for selective import could be handy.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: selective (by folder) bookmark export/import

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-14, 14:04

No.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-10-14, 18:01

Hi Lucio,

Have you tried looking for suggestions in old Mozillazine Forum Q&A threads? The answers, ideas, suggestions, and CSS scripts found there are obviously not guaranteed to work in current post-fork Pale Moon (and sadly most of the amazing number of task specific Addons mentioned are gone and/or would require forking themselves to work in Pale Moon now)... however always worth a look for information, hints, and ideas that often make a good starting point when researching a problem.

There are search boxes on RH side of all Mozillazine pages... and a search in the upper 'Boards' box for 'export bookmarks by folder' returned over 500 hits and several of these may be worth a read e.g.
Likewise Mozilla Support Q&As have a search box function and older threads may provide similar ideas... although DuckDuckGo and Google searches will often do just as well e.g.
Not tried this myself... but you certainly aren't the first person to seek to transfer bookmarks selectively! :)

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-10-15, 19:00

Another thing you could do is export bookmarks as HTML, then edit the file to remove all but the folders you want to transfer. Then you would import that file. HTML files imported always append, not replace.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-10-15, 21:30

Thanks, that was the easiest solution (I already had the bookmarks exported from machine B), better than viewing and rebookmarking the interested pages one by one. So my procedure was:
  • make a backup of bookmarks on machine C
  • edit the exported machine B list retaining only interesting folders
  • import the edited list: this will append it to the bookmarks menu
  • drag and drop the appended stuff to the bookmarks toolbar (where I wanted it)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)