Does PM have 'allow handler' as a feature?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Does PM have 'allow handler' as a feature?

Unread post by Astara » 2021-09-29, 23:05

I was told to install a binary for meetings (msteams), and had a problem with it being auto installed when running PM.

I eventually ran the same install procedure using Opera and had it ask me if I wanted to allow a handler for
msteams to be installed, I figured, ya, probably (if I want links to the meeting to work)...so I did and it started
"working", but I still get no referral to the binary using PM.

Does PM have some place that I may have turned off to allow websites to ask me if I want to install page-or-protocol
handlers? Obviously, I worked around it, and its not something I've seen often, but have seen occasionally, but don't
recall seeing it with PM. Is it just not there, or maybe I disabled it somewhere, and just don't remember where...*sigh*...and where did I leave my keys, er, feature, *again*?...

If I didn't misplace it, am I likely to find it in some future PM version?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Does PM have 'allow handler' as a feature?

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-10-01, 18:03

M Steams or MS Teams?
OS?
Version of Pale Moon?

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-01, 20:47

stevepusser wrote:
2021-10-01, 18:03
M Steams or MS Teams?
OS?
Version of Pale Moon?
What's M Steams? I searched on it and got back "Did you mean: what is Ms teams" -- yeah, that's the one

OS -- Win7SP1 x64
PMVer: 28.17.0 (64-bit); Does the ability to add a "handler" exist in any PM Version?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-01, 20:58

Doesn't matter. You are old and insecure.

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-02, 21:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-10-01, 20:58
====

I don't see how my age or security would relate to whether or not PM is able to handle protocol handlers.

Were you referring to my browser, my OS, my computer, or what?

Taking a leap and presuming you meant my browser, I installed 29.4.1, so maybe that might enable an answer for my
question(?).

I'm not sure how the issue of what browser version, exactly, I have installed, has relevance to the question
of whether or not:

" the ability to add a "handler" exists in any PM Version?". Regardless, what version of PM began
handling arbitrary "page" and/or "protocol" plugins and where is the dialog to permit or ignore such?

Thanks!
𝓐𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓪

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-02, 23:14

2021-10-01, 20:58

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-02, 23:40

Astara wrote:
2021-10-02, 21:16
I'm not sure how the issue of what browser version, exactly, I have installed, has relevance to the question
We don't support old and insecure versions of the browser.
If you want support, please make sure you run the current version. Otherwise, we won't even be looking into your question.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-03, 00:53

Astara wrote:
2021-10-01, 20:47
What's M Steams? I searched on it and got back "Did you mean: what is Ms teams" -- yeah, that's the one
To add to what has already been said...

It was not intrinsically obvious here that "msteams" equalled Microsoft Teams.
(you can't assume that others do or should automatically "get" your personal shorthand.)

Please try a forum search: "microsoft teams"

Edit: fixed typo.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2021-10-03, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-03, 02:34

Moonchild wrote:
2021-10-02, 23:40
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-10-03, 00:53
Astara wrote:
2021-10-01, 20:47
To add to what has already been said...

It was not intrinsiically obvious here that "msteams" equalled Microsoft Teams.
----
It might be pointed out that it is not intrinsically obvious that "intrinsiically" = "intrinsically", but I tend to overlook misspellings, odd grammar, and/or word usage except when someone makes a point. Very often human communications consist of assigning meaning to varying levels of 'gibberish' and going forward from there.
If it the original message is really too ambiguous, followup is needed. However I mentioned I was installing
a binary for meetings, that I left out the space between ms&teams. I couldn't think of anything else
with the same spelling that would be related a need for a program that would provide some sort of 'meeting'
functionality. It didn't occur to me that people wouldn't know about using computers for online meetings and
that msteams would be that confusing.

I just finished reading the Opensuse tumbleweed list where someone was having problems with MS Teams working after installing an update on linux in whatever browser they were using. Seemed to me since ms teams was cross platform and cross browser and I was referring to it being used for meetings -- most likely "online": given that "cross-ManyThings" software isn't usually needed for a normal, in-person meeting) and that I knew of no spelled-similarly cross-X programs for meetings, that would try to inject protocol (or page) "handlers", I didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out the most likely meaning, that even the most primitive "here, let me google that for you", request would clear up.

(you can't assume that others do or should automatically "get" your personal shorthand.)

leaving out a space and capitalization is hardly a personal shorthand.

Please try a forum search: "microsoft teams"
I find nothing about the ability to install protocol handlers in the subjects, only something about PM not supporting MS Teams because it might use WebRTC. But that has nothing to do with installing a protocol handler that invokes the binary and connects to a remote address through the browser+proxy, does it? I'm not sure if webrtc will work through my squid proxy or not.

So the original question seems to have been subsumed under the assumption that it is tied to WebRTC, but I don't think they are the same thing. Handlers for discord and such I thought could be supported apart from WebRTC... Certainly when MS Teams was running in the meeting, my proxy had my internet line saturated...

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-03, 02:44

Moonchild wrote:
2021-10-02, 23:40
Astara wrote:
2021-10-02, 21:16
We don't support old and insecure versions of the browser.
If you want support, please make sure you run the current version. Otherwise, we won't even be looking into your question.
----
While that makes sense, I was asking whether or not PM supported a feature, and if so, in what version.

I understand that my version was out of date, and updated it to the latest version I thought was available - 29.4.1. However to be told again:
Seemed a bit inane given that 29.4.1 is the most recent version and that the droid pictured was old when that 43 y/o picture was taken.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-10-03, 03:12

Astara wrote:
2021-10-03, 02:34
I didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out the most likely meaning, that even the most primitive "here, let me google that for you", request would clear up.
Regardless, it's simply not the job of forum members to have to do web searches to clear up ambiguity in posts that ask for help. Being clear is "the asker's" job.

Off-topic:
You might also refresh yourself on how to use the quote function.

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-03, 03:56

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-10-03, 03:12
Astara wrote:
2021-10-03, 02:34
I didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out the most likely meaning, that even the most primitive "here, let me google that for you", request would clear up.
Regardless, it's simply not the job of forum members to have to do web searches to clear up ambiguity in posts that ask for help. Being clear is "the asker's" job.
It was me, the "asker", that did the google search for M Steams and found it did not exist. I wouldn't have expected forum members to do such a search unless they were unclear about something.

As for being clear being the asker's job, I generally regard the person doing the asking as not being able to be as clear about a topic which they are either unfamiliar with or are asking about.

In my experience, I have more often than not found that those who are experts in a topic will generally be more likely to know the correct terminology, correct spelling, and related areas of knowledge such that they are usually more likely to be able to make out what a non-expert means or is trying to say, even if they aren't expert enough to use the right terminology. I would tend to think it a bit churlish to expect such from a casual tourist in the area.
Off-topic:
You might also refresh yourself on how to use the quote function.
[audio effect="swish"] (sound of something going right over someone's head [/audio] Huh? :oops:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-10-03, 05:47

no1curr

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-03, 09:45

2021-10-03, 05:47
no1curr
If you could have just responded that in the 1st place it would have saved quite a bit of time.

Any plans to allow for such handlers to be installed in the future?

It seems that WebRTC isn't a prerequisite for the use (or installation) of those handlers, so this
shouldn't violate PM's lack of WebRTC? I don't really have an issue with the lack of WebRTC, as it
*seems* a bit invasive, but it seems the installation of handlers invoking separate binaries is
akin to having 'email' invoke Tbird -- leaving Tbird as responsible for the protocol's security, so
whatever binary is installed to become the handler for the new protocol, is the primary decider of it
being secure or not, and that would have to be handled on a case-by-case basis. No?

Astara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Astara » 2021-10-03, 09:55

Lurker_01 wrote:
2021-10-03, 05:50
I am sorry, you have fallen under a classic trap of this forum.[/quot]
===
unsurprising.
1. You need to be on the last version. (got resolved)[/quoat]

Surprising as the answer was a constant value no matter what version I was on.

2. You need to do 90% of the research on the topic yourself, in this case probably checking how Firefox is doing the handle registering (best case pre 46 or so) (not possible for the majority (imo) of the people, due to lack of knowledge or googling skills)
That one seems a bit stiff, as asking a group of experts I'd expect them to have more knowledge about the topic than I.
3. Be proactive in possible responses so that there wont be responses pointing the lack of the 2 points above or about painful points of Pale Moon.
In upgrading to current, thought I was being sufficiently proactive, but I have a feeling droids tend to miss such detail.

Your question was clear for me, but unfortunately i dont know the answer.
The handles are usually created in registry and the browser should pick them up, but i dont know where Pale Moon is searching for handles and i dont have time to dig up the code, sorry.
That's fine, I seem to get that the feature isn't in PM, because current PM-devel's didn't realize it had a use beyond
WebRTC. I get that they have no idea about when they might implement it, as it wasn't on their radar as it was thought
it required/included WebRTC (which it doesn't), so after my question has fallen to the wayside, it might be revisited
again at their leisure. Meanwhile, go use another browser.

I had a feeling that those who knew what I was talking about would have no problem figuring out what I meant, and
those that didn't, wouldn't be able to help (at least in the short term), anyway...

(no insults or disparagement meant or intended, _really_, if you think about it).

Thanks for the info.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-10-03, 10:26

Custom protocol handlers are, and have been, fully supported by Pale Moon. Only a specific list of protocol handlers is blocked due to abuse.
How this needs to be set up is in the operating system by the program providing support for the protocol handler. If MS teams doesn't do that in a way that is standard and uses some MSIE/Edge-only method, then we can't really do anything about that.

Astara, please educate yourself on how to reply to posts on the forum; providing fully quoted blocks muddying who said what is not the way to do it. Use the "preview" function when writing posts please and correct any quoting blocks before you post. Also, try not to go off the deep end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2021-10-03, 19:20

** General service announcement **
For the sake of readability, a number of off-topic posts have been removed from this thread.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"