Redurring "Pale Moon is already running" notice won't let browser start

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pasnthroo

Redurring "Pale Moon is already running" notice won't let browser start

Unread post by pasnthroo » 2021-09-27, 19:18

Hello,

My operating system is Windows 10 and I have been using Pale Moon for a number of years with no problem. Recently (past day or two) I finished a Pale Moon session and closed out. Later when I tried to start Pale Moon again I got a message:" Pale Moon is already running, but is not responding. The old Pale Moon process must be closed to open a new window." and I was given a button to "close Pale Moon". I clicked on it, tried to restart but the same thing happened...again and again.

I started up Task manager but could not see Pale Moon running as an app or as a process.
I restarted my computer but to no avail...same problem occured.

I uninstalled Pale Moon and restarted my computer again then made a clean installation of Pale Moon 29.4.1 and tried to start it...same problem, same message.

Can you help me? I love the browser but now I can't seem to use it.

Regards,

pasnthroo (Dave)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Redurring "Pale Moon is already running" notice won't let browser start

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-09-27, 21:36

Hi pasnthroo,

Have a look at the suggestions in these previous Pale Moon Forum threads:

i) error "Pale Moon is already running": viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26415

ii) Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25071&p=197728

Also have a look through this web archive copy of Mozillazine Knowledge Base's article 'Profile in use' in WayBackMachine (WBM):
(Note: I picked a Nov 2017 copy of the article but you can change that using WBM's toolbar on the page or in WBM directly.)

Mozillazine KB 'Profile in use': https://web.archive.org/web/20171121235 ... ile_in_use

Given that you can't see a running 'palemoon.exe' in your Windows' Task Manager... then one possibility is that a 'parent.lock' file in your profile was not deleted when you exited Pale Moon last time... another possibility is 'directory ownership and permissions' as Moonchild suggested in the 'Palemoon thinks it's already running when it isn't.' thread above.

PS. Spelling malfunction Re: 'Recurring'... time to sack the typist and/or the spellchecker? :shock: