Cloning my current Pale Moon installation to a new Win 10 laptop

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Cloning my current Pale Moon installation to a new Win 10 laptop

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2021-09-19, 00:57

I have Pale Moon Ver 28.17.0 (64 bit) on my Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) desktop computer. In addition to the basic program, I have lots of Extensions, User Styles, a couple of Themes and Plug-ins.

Several years ago I installed Pale Moon plus the same Extensions, etc. on a Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) laptop. As I think I remember, I installed a new copy of Pale Moon on the laptop, opened the new Pale Moon and then closed it. Then on my desktop, I went to AppData\Roaming\MoonChild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles, copied the profile that I wanted, and then on the laptop I replaced the newly created profile with the profile I had copied, and that was it. The new Pale Moon screen layout and functions on the laptop looked and worked exactly like they did on the desktop computer.

I just purchased a new Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) laptop. I want to install the same Ver. 28.17.0 (64 bit) of Pale Moon plus all of the same Extensions, Styles, etc. on this new laptop. In other words, a clone of what I currently have on my Windows 7 Pro desktop computer.

Is the procedure I outlined above the correct one, or have I been dreaming? And if there is a better way, please let me know the required steps.

I first did a search of this forum, but could not find this issue addressed. Perhaps I searched under the wrong key words?

Harry

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Cloning my current Pale Moon installation to a new Win 10 laptop

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-09-19, 08:10

Copying your profile is indeed what's needed to transplant from one to another if you're sticking with the same class of O.S.

Critical note: 28.17.0 is completely out of support and has been for a while. You are taking a big risk running a browser version with known unpatched vulnerabilities. If you have any issues with it we can't really help you unless you upgrade to a current version first, and if your brand new laptop gets infected with malware you only have yourself to blame.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite