Disable mouseover tooltips selectively?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
xunil76
Moongazer
Moongazer

Disable mouseover tooltips selectively?

Unread post by xunil76 » 2021-09-06, 13:57

i was just wondering if there was a way to selectively disable mouseover tooltips?

I was able to disable them all by setting the "browser.chrome.toolbar_tips" to "false", but i don't want to disable them globally. i only want to disable the ones that come up when you mouse over the tabs on the tab bar...everything else i want to still be enabled.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Disable mouseover tooltips selectively?

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-09-07, 20:49

Hi xunil76,

Try this small CSS script... either add to your Pale Moon profile's 'userChrome.css' file (restart browser to activate)... or IMHO much easier to add via 'Write New Style' option in Lootyhoof's 'Stylem' Addon (which has enable/disable switches built-in). :)

Code: Select all

/*---Disable Tooltips in Tabs---*/

tooltip[id="tabbrowser-tab-tooltip"]
{ display: none !important; 
}
Script works correctly for me... but its just a quick bodge job using script ideas from the posts in these two Mozillazine forum threads (try using 'tooltip tabs' or similar search term(s) in 'Boards' search box RH side on any Mozillazine page):
PS. The 'red tab tooltips in 18px text on pink backgrounds' script in 2nd Mozillazine thread (above) is seriously revolting! :shock:

Code: Select all

/*--- Red Tab Tooltips in 18px text on Pink Backgrounds---*/

tooltip[id="tabbrowser-tab-tooltip"] 
{  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background-color: pink !important;
  color: red !important;
  border: 2px solid orange !important;
  font-size: 18px !important;
}
PPS. IIRC CSS doesn't require the final ';' after last '!important' style override rule... only needed if more terms to follow. :relaxed:

xunil76
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by xunil76 » 2021-09-08, 22:24

nice! that works perfectly!

thanks a bunch...those stupid tab tooltips would get in the way of my mouse cursor when i went to double-click a tab to close it, and would prevent the clicks from landing on the tabs, keeping them from being able to close. and they're entirely unnecessary because it's just a repeat of the title of the tab anyway, which i can see on the tab itself.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2021-09-09, 07:25

Glad that 'Disable Tooltips in Tabs' CSS script works for you. :)

Personally I find no problems with the tab tooltips in normal use... hover on the tab title... and the associated tooltip appears below and clear of the tab title box:

Pale Moon forum page - Screensnip with tab title tooltip showing.png

When multiple tabs are open... and consequently all the tab title widths have shrunk... then the tab tooltips provide a useful way of identifying tabs with the same favicon and very similar titles... without having to re-open each tab to identify it.

Different strokes for different folks... the benefit of being able to modify the browser UI to suit individual needs and taste. :D

xunil76
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by xunil76 » 2021-09-09, 22:51

yeah, i have my tabs at the bottom of the page instead of the top:
tabs at bottom.png
i like the tooltips for pretty much everything else on a webpage, because it lets you see content that is partially off the edge of the frame/screen or whatever...but when something actually interferes with me performing an action, it's got to go.