palemoon installing on zorin linux and updates from pm to zorin

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
mipak
Moon lover
Moon lover

palemoon installing on zorin linux and updates from pm to zorin

Unread post by mipak » 2021-09-05, 17:12

hello

a week or so ago, i d/l the zorin distro 15.3 core and have found great dificulty in trying to install palemoon for linux. one of the 2 choices of the pm downloads ends in gtk2 and gtk3. think one of them relates to older equipment and the other to newer equipment but i'm not sure.

my other question is how do i receive palemoon updates as and when they're released and how do i install them?

my zorin distro is active but i haven't d/l palemoon yet, in fact, it doesn't have any programmes installed at the moment.

i would be very grateful for anyone familar with linux who can help me please but in plain english
with many thanks ... michael.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: palemoon installing on zorin linux and updates from pm to zorin

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-09-05, 17:18

If you get the tar archive from the Pale Moon website, you just need to unpack it somewhere easy to reach and then launch Pale Moon from the executable.
That release has an internal updater which will show a notification (in a separate window) whenever an update is available.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: palemoon installing on zorin linux and updates from pm to zorin

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-09-05, 22:18

See that search term entry thingy in the upper right? Use it to search these forums for "zorin" and your questions shall be answered, since your next one will be "why isn't PM appearing in my menu or package manager?"

tl;dr: I maintain an apt repo for PM that is approved by the developers, builds PM from the source code, and will forestall most of your future problems and update issues. You just have to know what version of Ubuntu Zorin 15.3 is based upon.